• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,377 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Yorick said:

"Ernest Chiriacka, artist, illustrator, and sculptor, was born Anastassios Kyriakakos, May 11, 1913 in New York City of Greek ancestry."

Well, I guess that might be the Greek magazine connection...

He's a well known illustrator for magazines and paper backs.  I'm glad to see we can properly credit him for the source of the Cinderella Love 25 cover.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:08 AM, comicnoir said:

They say no OA in the auction. Why? 

Turns out they did come up with some. The first page of the Romance Stories of True Love 51 story is shown on p. 86 of The Art of Glamour, for what that's worth. 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, Dr. Love said:

This would be the opportunity for those who have decent copies to jump on in.  Could be the height of the Baker market for a while. How would multiples of certain issues do in this scenario?  Do lesser copies benefit in the wake of a highest grade? Would HA put them before or after in terms of listing order?

Turns out that didn't seem to happen. At least on a go through, I didn't seen any duplicates. 

My casual observation from other auctions (of non-Bakers) is that duplicates in the same auction don't seem to hurt the lower-grade copy, except possibly on CC where the time clock resetting with every bid within three minutes can cause weird things to happen. 

On 6/15/2022 at 11:10 AM, Robot Man said:

:x My favorite Baker cover. Easily in my top 10 favorite covers in my collection. Sexy? Sure. But in a very tasteful way. That expression and those eyes get me every time I see it. 

Takes me back to my youth when I used to, ah, ... never mind. :shiftyeyes:

On 7/13/2022 at 4:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I could see the Liberty going for quite a bit less...  it's not a cover, and I suspect some of the people who ran up the Greek reprint may be feeling a bit shy given that an earlier source has turned up.  Also, the Liberty probably can be expected to have quite a few more copies out there.

I'm the goof who won the Greek magazine. The Liberty is interesting and I'll probably take a run at it--after searching the web for another copy and failing to find one! The Baker-related image not being on the cover is a drawback. (And that's a pretty lame cover--did people tear it off and hang it on a wall in lieu of a regular calendar?)

s-l1600.jpeg

Did you notice this one? https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=55987224

Far be it from me to look askance at anyone paying crazy money for a Baker, but nearly $4K for a raw 1.8 with ct and tape? Makes me wonder what the 5.0 in the HA Baker auction will go for. (Just for the record, neither that book nor any of the other books in that auction are mine. Some look familiar, so I probably owned a few of them at some point.)

On 7/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Chief1332 said:

Seems awfully strong given its obvious drawbacks.

Sure does. I was thinking $500, maybe $1k at most. Shows that book has gone into orbit. I wouldn't be shocked if the 5.0 in the HA auction clears $20K. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:58 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'm really interested in seeing how this auction goes. Sure seems like an opportunity for someone who has dipped a toe into Baker to fill in a bunch of holes in a hurry. Kind of like when @Dr. Loveheld a Baker auction years ago and I bought five or six books. My first Bakers. That guy started me on a path that's cost me a lot of money over the years! :cry:

Yes indeed.  Something this large, at a bigger auction house will really test the limits.  Probably test my wallet too.  I've been fortunate to find some in the wild and a few at auction.  Just a few years for me and my Baker interest.  Maybe I'll be lucky at this event and bring one home.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:03 PM, Chief1332 said:

Yes indeed.  Something this large, at a bigger auction house will really test the limits.  Probably test my wallet too.  I've been fortunate to find some in the wild and a few at auction.  Just a few years for me and my Baker interest.  Maybe I'll be lucky at this event and bring one home.

I feel lucky to have gotten in when I did, which was just as prices began to take off. When the 6th Street Collection surfaced, the prices really seemed out there. Today they seem like screaming bargains. I bought a few but wish now that I'd bought more--as does everyone else who was collecting Bakers then.