• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,378 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 10:48 PM, MB1952 said:

Lou Cameron drawing “Bakerish”

FCCBBC5D-19B8-44BC-8263-F1214E183FD8.thumb.jpeg.4119ba996d547f8288fb1fd347eb4e1d.jpeg

I don’t see it. Lou Cameron has his own unique style that made him a master of the precode horror genre. He’s one of the greatest precode horror artists of his era. His panels make for classic story telling in a manner that was rarely matched. I love Baker and while he did have contemporaries who did phenomenal GGA, Matt’s style stands on its own when it comes to drawing amazing women but Cameron never tried to “ish” any other artist’s style. Perhaps it’s the other way around and Baker was Cameronish? Cameron never needed to do so and his work for Ace shows why. The guy could draw and tell stories through his precode horror art as good if not better than any of his contemporaries. 

On 7/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, bronze johnny said:

I don’t see it. Lou Cameron has his own unique style that made him a master of the precode horror genre. He’s one of the greatest precode horror artists of his era. His panels make for classic story telling in a manner that was rarely matched. I love Baker and while he did have contemporaries who did phenomenal GGA, Matt’s style stands on its own when it comes to drawing amazing women but Cameron never tried to “ish” any other artist’s style. Perhaps it’s the other way around and Baker was Cameronish? Cameron never needed to do so and his work for Ace shows why. The guy could draw and tell stories through his precode horror art as good if not better than any of his contemporaries. 

I agree. Cameron's art is distinct from Baker.  The article notes that Cameron knew Baker but nothing indicating he drew inspiration from his art.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, bronze johnny said:

My understanding is, the panels they refer to were drawn by "Ace Baker" that is a reference to a style of pencil reminiscent of Matt Baker that was published in Ace titles. This was thought to be the work of Frank Giusto, a friend of Baker who knew his style well but not of Baker himself. The cover is Lou Cameron, right? I don't think they are trying to say Baker did the cover.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, PeterPark said:

Not that it wasn't already great, but that Baker HA auction is looking a whole lot better...

It looks like this is the worst time (for me) to have this auction.

I can't sell anything on eBay but Baker (and to a lesser extent GA) continue to rise.

I don't want to go into more debt. :(

On 7/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, PeterPark said:

My understanding is, the panels they refer to were drawn by "Ace Baker" that is a reference to a style of pencil reminiscent of Matt Baker that was published in Ace titles. This was thought to be the work of Frank Giusto, a friend of Baker who knew his style well but not of Baker himself. The cover is Lou Cameron, right? I don't think they are trying to say Baker did the cover.

Agree, but I was responding to the post specifying Cameron drawing Bakerish. I’m always quick to point out how much of a giant Cameron was to this art form.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:46 AM, bronze johnny said:

Agree, but I was responding to the post specifying Cameron drawing Bakerish. I’m always quick to point out how much of a giant Cameron was to this art form.

I thought that was a confusion surrounding what they were saying. I thought the Bakerish art they referred to was interior only. I didn't think anyone thought the cover was Baker, unless the confusion was mine... (shrug)

On 7/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, PeterPark said:

I thought that was a confusion surrounding what they were saying. I thought the Bakerish art they referred to was interior only. I didn't think anyone thought the cover was Baker, unless the confusion was mine... (shrug)

It wasn’t clear to me(thumbsu

Seems like Heritage (and many an ebay seller as well) has figured out that shoehorning "Baker" into a GA book's title or description has the potential to make money randomly rain from the sky, whether remotely warranted or not.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, OtherEric said:

So, Bleeding Cool had an article today about an issue of Liberty Magazine being the origin of the Cinderella Love #25 cover image, with the Greek Magazine being a swipe from the Liberty issue as well.  (If this was discussed in this thread, I missed it... for better or worse I don't always keep up with this thread completely because I get depressed at all the books I'll never find.)

Anyway, I own exactly one issue of Liberty Magazine, because it has a fantasy story by John D. MacDonald, one of my favorite authors.  But, by an astounding coincidence...

Those Liberty Magazine owners will be amazed when they see one sell for $1k!  Congrats to you for having it, and HUGE thank you for sharing an image with the artist signature!!!

On 7/13/2022 at 1:16 PM, Yorick said:

Those Liberty Magazine owners will be amazed when they see one sell for $1k!  Congrats to you for having it, and HUGE thank you for sharing an image with the artist signature!!!

You're welcome.  I'm very curious to see where the magazine lands pricewise, that's for sure.

A check of my back emails shows I paid $14.25 with shipping for my copy in 2014, for anybody who wants a reference point.

Edited by OtherEric

On 7/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, OtherEric said:

You're welcome.  I'm very curious to see where the magazine lands pricewise, that's for sure.

If you didn't see the sale of the Greek reprint.... you'll be amazed.  It's somewhere in the last few hundred pages here...  (many thousand, as I recall).  So all of those Greek covers must be from "Chiraka"?  I'm going to look him up.  I really love that painting (and all of the others on those Greek covers).

"Ernest Chiriacka, artist, illustrator, and sculptor, was born Anastassios Kyriakakos, May 11, 1913 in New York City of Greek ancestry."

Well, I guess that might be the Greek magazine connection...

On 7/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, Yorick said:

If you didn't see the sale of the Greek reprint.... you'll be amazed.  It's somewhere in the last few hundred pages here...  (many thousand, as I recall).  So all of those Greek covers must be from "Chiraka"?  I'm going to look him up.  I really love that painting (and all of the others on those Greek covers).

I could see the Liberty going for quite a bit less...  it's not a cover, and I suspect some of the people who ran up the Greek reprint may be feeling a bit shy given that an earlier source has turned up.  Also, the Liberty probably can be expected to have quite a few more copies out there.