• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,100 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, NSmith7275 said:

I played tennis in high school, so I drew tennis action from time to time...

tennis.thumb.jpg.2af5eb7c793cbad41fb8b28e760ed34b.jpg

Way cooler than the O-pee-chee folder drawings!

My newest comic The Crimebusters #5 is coming out on Kickstarter on January 30. This is the first issue I haven't drawn myself -- I've brought in a new artist by the name of Mac Radwanski to take over the art from me so I can get the comics out faster. 

But I still drew one of the variant covers. The Crimebusters is a continuation of the Golden Age "Crimebuster" strip from the Lev Gleason comic Boy Comics, so every issue I do a variant cover with the original logo and numbering. 

This time, the story features the return of Crimebuster's sidekick Squeeks the Monkey, so I did a cover featuring him. It's also an homage to Gil Kane's classic cover from Rex the Wonder Dog #11. What can I say, I love doing homage covers! I didn't have to change a lot for this one, just swapped Squeeks for Rex, turned the humans into my characters Chuck and Trixie and made them a little bigger, and did a little bit with the background and the mushroom cloud. The dinosaur is 100% Gil Kane. 

Here it is:

668866221_5-BoyComicscover-small.jpg.efad1ac3b3220cebfc14c3581162f268.jpg

On 10/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I was rooting around some folders going through old artwork stuff and I found these: my buddy is an author and comic book aficionado, so when his second book was coming out (this was 9 years ago), I did a "variant" cover for him. Below are pencils, inks (with zipatone, which was awesome to work with again) and the final colored piece that he turned into a poster to give out to fans.

SONGSWILLOW_PENCILS.thumb.png.a838445d8afd8b787dfe5485092332ae.png

SONGSWILLOW_INKS.thumb.png.87a81f539a56f6fd42806dacfbdf85d1.png

SONGSWILLOW_COLORS.thumb.png.ad8a969da73f8d058cfb545827136a2e.png

Love it Dr...nice work

On 1/8/2023 at 6:39 PM, alexgross.com said:

this is an old cabinet card photo circa 1880s that i painted over and transformed into a white walker. at left is the before image. 

white-walker-before-after.jpg

I find this really interesting because the eyeballs are almost identical, yet the gaze is completely different.

The more I study eyeball renditions, the more I learn that even the most trivial difference can make a huge impact.

Gil kane used to put theses heavy black dots as eyeballs, and I could almost tell if it was gil or not from that small feature alone (not to mention the nostrils).

Edited by bronze_rules