• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

There is no lightheartedness in issue #111, but do people forget just 5 issues ago we had an arm wrestling match? Also 105 was a lighthearted fun issue, heck Monster Girl is a Father is a good combo of lighthearted and serious.

It was just a rib with the cover, if you don't like it there is a cover that does not have the joking part. It just is paying tribute to 100 issues of Ryan Ottley that you can always buy.

What now? He seemed to hit a low point last issue.

Spoilers inside..

Spoiler incoming

not joking, i'm going to say exactly what happens, last chance! I promise you it's more exciting if you read it :P

- Mark comes back and trys to warn Cecil about Robot. Robot kills Cecil.

- Mark and Robot fight at his home while Robot threatens him with pregnant Eve

- During the fight Robot rips off Eve's leg

- Eve has to use her powers to help Mark and save themsevles

- Eve said before using her powers would endanger the baby

- Eve and Mark escape back to the Viltrumites ship

- Robot commences his plan...to take over the world.

My review:

I wish I hadn't read any hype before reading the issue. Seriously, spoilers below so don't click until after you've read it. 2c

I thought it was a great issue. It flows perfectly within the current storyline. TPB readers will think it's awesome! (thumbs u

But..... I really wish I hadn't read any hype beforehand. After reading about multiple shocking moments and Forests' remarks about all the violence I was expecting at least 3 to 4 characters to go down. I may be in the minority on this, but I only counted 1 "shocking" moment.

I really liked Cecil's death. That was a shocking moment. Didn't see it coming and his death was brutal and quick. Really helps to establish Robot even more as THE top villain of the series.

I really liked Invincible fighting through the pain of the "high pitched tone attack" of Robot. It was cool to see the "willpower" of Invincible fighting through the pain. Furthermore, to counter Forest's claims of Invincible not being a superhero for Spider-Man readers; this reminded me of the classic Spider-Man moment in ASM 33. Fighting through excruciating pain to save a loved one. ;)

But, maybe it was "shocking" Invincible didn't get earplugs right away. :jokealert:

Invincible trying to save Eve, and her not wanting to use her powers because of the baby was great storyline stuff. I thought Robot attacking Eve because she's Invincible's true weakness, was predictable but was done well. Again, these moments help establish Robot as THE top villain and Invincible's new arch nemesis. However, Eve's injuries didn't shock me, and it seems the violence of that part is what's being overhyped. 2c After she gives birth to the baby she'll be able to heal herself like she did in issue 64 after Conquest gutted her. So I don't see her injuries as permanent. Kirkman has a "get out of jail free" card to heal Eve. It would have shocked me if she died.

I really liked the issue. I just wish I hadn't read anything beforehand. Kind of like when someone tells you before you see a movie there's a twist at the end. So while you're watching the movie you can't help but think about the twist instead of it happening organically. I kept expecting more permanent status quo changes, so when the issue ended I was still expecting something else to happen instead of just enjoying a really well done issue.

My review:

I wish I hadn't read any hype before reading the issue. Seriously, spoilers below so don't click until after you've read it. 2c

I thought it was a great issue. It flows perfectly within the current storyline. TPB readers will think it's awesome! (thumbs u

But..... I really wish I hadn't read any hype beforehand. After reading about multiple shocking moments and Forests' remarks about all the violence I was expecting at least 3 to 4 characters to go down. I may be in the minority on this, but I only counted 1 "shocking" moment.

I really liked Cecil's death. That was a shocking moment. Didn't see it coming and his death was brutal and quick. Really helps to establish Robot even more as THE top villain of the series.

I really liked Invincible fighting through the pain of the "high pitched tone attack" of Robot. It was cool to see the "willpower" of Invincible fighting through the pain. Furthermore, to counter Forest's claims of Invincible not being a superhero for Spider-Man readers; this reminded me of the classic Spider-Man moment in ASM 33. Fighting through excruciating pain to save a loved one. ;)

But, maybe it was "shocking" Invincible didn't get earplugs right away. :jokealert:

Invincible trying to save Eve, and her not wanting to use her powers because of the baby was great storyline stuff. I thought Robot attacking Eve because she's Invincible's true weakness, was predictable but was done well. Again, these moments help establish Robot as THE top villain and Invincible's new arch nemesis. However, Eve's injuries didn't shock me, and it seems the violence of that part is what's being overhyped. 2c After she gives birth to the baby she'll be able to heal herself like she did in issue 64 after Conquest gutted her. So I don't see her injuries as permanent. Kirkman has a "get out of jail free" card to heal Eve. It would have shocked me if she died.

I really liked the issue. I just wish I hadn't read anything beforehand. Kind of like when someone tells you before you see a movie there's a twist at the end. So while you're watching the movie you can't help but think about the twist instead of it happening organically. I kept expecting more permanent status quo changes, so when the issue ended I was still expecting something else to happen instead of just enjoying a really well done issue.

ASM 33? Oh, I'm seriously taking a point off your nerd cred for making any sort of comparison! #NerdRage lol Well, I'm glad you dug the issue all the same. It's a dead series for me, but I know there's stuff out there I am passionate about that other's don't dig.

...It's a dead series for me...

Out of curiosity, when did it become a dead series for you? Was there a particular issue or event that took place, or did you just lose interest over time?

My review:

ASM 33? Oh, I'm seriously taking a point off your nerd cred for making any sort of comparison! #NerdRage lol Well, I'm glad you dug the issue all the same. It's a dead series for me, but I know there's stuff out there I am passionate about that other's don't dig.

I knew that would fire you up. lol

I still love ya Forest. :foryou:

I love all the comparisons to Spider-Man people make. I spend some time on the CBR boards where the discussion is a bit more story driven than here. People always come on the boards saying they loved Spider-Man as a kid and are getting back into comics and would like some Spidey recommendations. I always recommend a few Spidey books to read, but then make a case of Invincible. The book really captures the magic that was once Spider-Man.

I also feel like the book has been its best since the Viltrumite War story arc ended. I haven't read the most recent issue yet, but I couldn't help but read the spoilers. I'm really intrigued and love what Kirkman is doing with Robot.