• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

Kirkman's really good with jumping-on points in a high-issue series.

There have been quite a few throughout Invincible.

I agree with 108. It's perfect because it's a strong and exciting point to get into the series.

Patrick

111 is NOT a jumping on point, regardless of the cover. 108 was really the jumping on point for this arc. You start with 111 and probably would be lost. But the covers are awesome especially the Ottley pencil one.

Agreed as to it not being a jumping on point in anyway. Frankly, very disappointed in 111. meh

I can't discuss 111 without spoilers, but can not see how it could be considered disappointing. There are multiple shocking moments, and the art is top notch.

A relatively spoiler-free review.

http://www.newsarama.com/21109-best-shots-advance-reviews-invincible-111-afterlife-with-archie-5-more.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsaramapreviews+(Newsarama.com+previews)

On Ryan Ottley's deviant art site, he shows the next covers for Invincible 111 to 113, as well as a hint of what will follow:

POSSIBLE PLOT SPOILER BELOW

http://ryanottley.deviantart.com/gallery/

Given that these pics show Robot emerging as a major villain, would it be time to pick up Invincible #2 (the first appearance of Robot?)

Edited by BChin22

I can't discuss 111 without spoilers, but can not see how it could be considered disappointing. There are multiple shocking moments, and the art is top notch.

http://www.newsarama.com/21109-best-shots-advance-reviews-invincible-111-afterlife-with-archie-5-more.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsaramapreviews+(Newsarama.com+previews)

I see their point about the rape issue, but honestly I prefer what they are describing in issue 111. Back to action, with no time to think.

That's always been Kirkman's style. To not have the style of convenience storytelling. It makes sense from a typical writers point of view to delve into the rape effects on Mark, but Kirkman's instead moving forward with his emergency of the Robot plot.

It reminds me of the Walking Dead 48 critiques after the comic came out:

People were complaining and disappointed that the Governor was killed by the new unknown character Lilly instead of Rick or Michonne. The way he wrote it was more realistic. In order to have it be Rick or Michonne it would have needed convenience storytelling to make that happen. Which by the way is exactly the way the TV show changed it.

As for the jumping on point. That's another example of the reviewer not understanding Kirkman. The whole 1st... 1st... 1st... is just him making fun of Marvel and DC. It's not a jumping on point. It's not the 1st issue of a trade. It's right in the middle of the new story. It's just Kirkman having fun, and the joke went right over the reviewers head. 2c

I see their point about the rape issue, but honestly I prefer what they are describing in issue 111. Back to action, with no time to think.

That's always been Kirkman's style. To not have the style of convenience storytelling. It makes sense from a typical writers point of view to delve into the rape effects on Mark, but Kirkman's instead moving forward with his emergency of the Robot plot.

People were complaining and disappointed that the Governor was killed by the new unknown character Lilly instead of Rick or Michonne. The way he wrote it was more realistic. In order to have it be Rick or Michonne it would have needed convenience storytelling to make that happen. Which by the way is exactly the way the TV show changed it.

As for the jumping on point. That's another example of the reviewer not understanding Kirkman. The whole 1st... 1st... 1st... is just him making fun of Marvel and DC. It's not a jumping on point. It's not the 1st issue of a trade. It's right in the middle of the new story. It's just Kirkman having fun, and the joke went right over the reviewers head. 2c

:gossip:I'm the reviewer ;) And the problem I'd say is that this is an issue that utterly lacks in humor, so if that is the case (and we'll agree to disagree on it), it is poorly placed and executed on RK's part. Had there been signs of humor or lampooning in the story, I'd agree with it. I know Zub made fun of the Big 2 with Skullkickers, but there was a context for his humor. There is none here, which is why I did see this parody.

:gossip:I'm the reviewer ;) And the problem I'd say is that this is an issue that utterly lacks in humor, so if that is the case (and we'll agree to disagree on it), it is poorly placed and executed on RK's part. Had there been signs of humor or lampooning in the story, I'd agree with it. I know Zub made fun of the Big 2 with Skullkickers, but there was a context for his humor. There is none here, which is why I did see this parody.

Hey Forest! Didn't see your name on the review... :shy:

I haven't read the issue. I've got to wait until next week.

The humor I'm talking about is on the cover. "1st issue in a bold new direction." "1st issue of a startling new era," and "1st issue for a new generation." People who don't know Kirkman's humor will see that and assume the comic inside is a jumping on point; however, the issue isn't. Those remarks were Kirkman taking a jab at the big 2 at Image Expo earlier this year. They were released one at a time during the days before the con implying Invincible was going to relaunch with a new #1 like the big 2 do all the time. Instead he combined the 3 press releases into #111 at his presentation at the con and joked it would be the action of 3 #1's. So yeah, it's misleading to new people who don't understand the history of the joke.

Yeah, it's in there.

My editor and I spoke about this, and frankly, if you're going to publish something, you take the risk to get hit. And like I said, IF there was ANY indication of humor playing a role in this comic, then definitely - it's something one would need to consider. But believe me - this comic is a shining example of a comic that is absolutely devoid of any sort of joy or humor.

It's kind of like this: Someone spends 5 minutes calling you all sorts of awful names and then ends with saying "Just kidding." Now, maybe they WERE kidding, but is there any context to believe it? Not so much. So, I'm not sure the "joke" defense really holds up given the absolute lack of context here. Again, there was context for humor with the Skullkickers books because humor is an ingredient of those issues. We can read those titles as a spoof as the very stories themselves are. Not at all the case here, so even if Kirkman SAYS it's a joke, he's either ignorant as to how humor actually works OR he's trying to cover his tracks over failing at making good on what he advertised.

I understand the joke; I just think it's the mark of a failed joke when it requires as much explanation to anyone outside of a handful of people. Savvy?

It's too bad, too, as I used to like this series way back when, but now, dead in the water for me and likely the last time I'll review let alone read it.

The joke WAS funny back at the Image Expo announcement.

The context was Kirkman is a big spokesman for getting creators to do indy comics and he takes shots at the big 2 from time to time.

Perhaps he should have left those "1st issue...." statements off the cover of #111 and just used them at the Expo. Since that was the context of the joke, not the actual content of issue 111.

Invincible is hands down my favorite superhero comic right now, so it's a shame to hear you're not enjoying it.

Hey, different strokes and all that.

Re: Kirkman's humor, maybe it's best to make the joke and deliver with fewer months in between ;) FWIW, the other site to post a review (they gave it a 5/5) also operated under the same points I did re: the jumping on point. Nonetheless, it's still (in my mind) a throwaway issue that fails to follow up on and cheapens the events of 110.

That said, I've been reading comics long enough to respect the fact that series have their ups and downs. If it comes back, I may check out a trade, but it'll have to come highly recommended at this point.

Just too bad as I thought there was some very real potential for some substantive commentary and storytelling. :sorry:

Hey, different strokes and all that.

Re: Kirkman's humor, maybe it's best to make the joke and deliver with fewer months in between ;) FWIW, the other site to post a review (they gave it a 5/5) also operated under the same points I did re: the jumping on point. Nonetheless, it's still (in my mind) a throwaway issue that fails to follow up on and cheapens the events of 110.

That said, I've been reading comics long enough to respect the fact that series have their ups and downs. If it comes back, I may check out a trade, but it'll have to come highly recommended at this point.

Just too bad as I thought there was some very real potential for some substantive commentary and storytelling. :sorry:

Here is something else to consider on the subject of following up on the rape from the issue before: different people react differently to trauma. Some people are devastated right away. While others go through a period of shock before it sinks in, and often keep it a secret because they are embarrassed or feel they to are to blame.

While I haven't read 111 yet, from your review it takes place immediately after 110. Maybe the character is still in shock? Perhaps the substantive commentary and storytelling about dealing with it is still to come? Furthermore, it will probably read better in TPB format since less time for the reader will go by before they see Invincible deal with the events of 110?

I considered that point, and I hope - at this point - this is what takes place. At the end of the day though, I have to review what I have in front of me. It's one of the challenges of reviewing serialized fiction truth be told, and you do the best you can with what you have. On the other hand, this is something comic creators are aware of (or should be) and should factor this into the pacing of their greater narratives.

We'll see... but given the events of 111, I doubt Mark will be given much time to process anything that happened to him.

I haven't read it yet either.

But it's more than fine that Kirkman didn't deal with it immediately after.

It's more likely going to be interesting when he's afraid of her each time he sees her. And she makes some leering comment (like he's a beotch).

Or when he finally gets back his lady and has to tell her about it (especially pregnant). What woman would believe it?

Kirkman doesn't let stuff like this just go. Sometimes it's not so linear.

Patrick