• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

Wow. There is a reason why Invincible is my now favorite series. Wow.

+1

It's about time this book won an Eisner! At the very least, it's a crime Ottley hasn't been recognized. 2c

I'm pretty sure ottley is somewhat popular. I have been trying to get a commission from him for years now with no luck at all

He'll be at Heroes next month. Check with a facilitator about getting a commission. As of last month he was charging around $80 for a pencil head sketch and $300 for a full figure w/ color per his blog, but I know he has other options too, such as inked busts.

I'm pretty sure ottley is somewhat popular. I have been trying to get a commission from him for years now with no luck at all

Yea when I saw him at Baltimore last year he was doing pretty well for himself. He always had a line. I caught him early with a dealer badge, but even then he had a few people around his booth.

He's a great artist, but he won't have true recognition in the medium until he does a big 2 book. I'm surprised he hasn't at this point actually. Kirkman must treat his artists REALLY well because they all seem to stick around.

Yeah, he treat's them very well.Pretty sure BKV and Fiona have the same deal. With creator owned books I don't think it should be anything other than 50/50 between writer artist if they're working on it together.

"Ryan Ottley explained that...

Capuga is close. It is a 40/30/30 ownership. That's how we split merch and options and such, the comics themselves are split 50/50 who ever is working on them. So for a hard cover that Robert and I worked on we split 50/50. If Cory has a 2 issue run in there then he gets a percentage of the HC for those issues he did. We don't get paid when others use each others characters. The created by at the beginning of each book pertains to the title, not every character in the book. SO if there was ever a battle beast mini it would only say created by Kirkman and Ottley. Or like Guarding the Globe, since I created some of those characters too, it has our 3 names. So it mainly has to do with titles. Yes I've created plenty FOR Invincible, but I didn't create Invincible himself, so my name is not there. Wink

Ryan"

Edited by Tuff Ghost

That was nasty. I have never bought this book before in my life and the summit variant of 111 was sent to me because of another purchase that I made. DAMN I did not think they went like that in this book.

That was nasty. I have never bought this book before in my life and the summit variant of 111 was sent to me because of another purchase that I made. DAMN I did not think they went like that in this book.

Yea the book is very graphic and a lot of people dislike it for that fact. I'd really encourage you to go back to the beginning and read. It is a blast to read start to finish.

I still need to pick up my books and get this issue. I'm hoping my LCS is open with the holiday.

Now you need to step up and get the compendiums :baiting:

I finally got to the store. They closed at 5 for the holiday and I made it at 4:45.

The series always leaves me wanting more. I can't wait to see where things go and finally we are back to tons of subplots. I always enjoy how Kirkman intertwines subplots and I feel like things have been rolling along so quickly they haven't really been as strong lately. Now we are just waiting for more and more.

Very few people seemed to care about Invincible for the first 100+ issues. And now it's hard as hell to find each issue as they come out.

I'm fully aware of the ridiculous run on 110 due to the rape. But I was surprised at the purchasing of a few pre and post.

So an LCS owner mentioned that they are seeing an uptick from Walking Dead readers because it was announced that the WD writer was taking on the duties for the book. I couldn't stop laughing. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and it worked?!!! Even worse, the LCS had been pushing it to WD readers in the same fashion verballly and no one cared.

Anyone experiencing this?

Patrick

Very few people seemed to care about Invincible for the first 100+ issues. And now it's hard as hell to find each issue as they come out.

I'm fully aware of the ridiculous run on 110 due to the rape. But I was surprised at the purchasing of a few pre and post.

So an LCS owner mentioned that they are seeing an uptick from Walking Dead readers because it was announced that the WD writer was taking on the duties for the book. I couldn't stop laughing. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and it worked?!!! Even worse, the LCS had been pushing it to WD readers in the same fashion verballly and no one cared.

Anyone experiencing this?

Patrick

When did you start reading the book? I started at some point in the 70s after my LCS recommended it to me. I picked up the Ultimate Collections and flew through them. When I ran out of stuff to read, I decided to start picking it up in singles and see how much of the run I could fill in.

I was instantly amazed at the price of back issues. Even issues that had come out only months before were up around $10.

I think the book has always had a strong following and is under ordered because of it. It isn't a book that a ton of people are going to grab off the shelf and stores know that and thus don't order a ton of them. At the same time, the people who like the book really like the book.

I'd put it in my top three each month and think I even did in the three books thread. I've tried to pick up a copy of issue 1 for months now, but it just keeps climbing. Every once in a while I'll stumble on some back issues in dollar bins. One really unorganized store near me had a bunch in the dollar bin and I was really excited. I think they even had a copy of 7-10 in there or something.

I with I'd caught on earlier because Invincible is a great book.