• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Is the G.I. Joe 21 with the UPC code the rarer of the issues. Thanks. Similar to Spider-man 1 by McFarland.

If this has not been answered to general satisfaction, I would like to chime in:

I think the UPC is the first print.

The Spidey-face UPC is direct.

And Black Spidey-face is 2nd and maybe third print.

Can anyone back this up?

If it has the Black spidey on upc will it say inside that its second printing?

And what about the direct edition with upc bar?

It does state inside that it is a second print.

There was no direct edition with UPC bar.

Is the G.I. Joe 21 with the UPC code the rarer of the issues. Thanks. Similar to Spider-man 1 by McFarland.

If this has not been answered to general satisfaction, I would like to chime in:

Can anyone back this up?

K so I am a bit confused.

Here is a book that says direct edition with a upc code on it.

gijoedeupc.jpg

And when you say black spidey do you mean this one or is this the face one?

blackspideyface.jpg

Reason I ask is because I have a bunch of these black spidy faces and I looked at the text and there is no mention of second printing in them.

bstextinbook.jpg

Btw I am assuming that this is the spidey face normal one.

spideyface.jpg

Edited by Whisp

Can anyone back this up?

K so I am a bit confused.

Here is a book that says direct edition with a upc code on it.

gijoedeupc.jpg

And when you say black spidey do you mean this one or is this the face one?

blackspideyface.jpg

Reason I ask is because I have a bunch of these black spidy faces and I looked at the text and there is no mention of second printing in them.

bstextinbook.jpg

Btw I am assuming that this is the spidey face normal one.

spideyface.jpg

They started doing the UPC codes with Direct edition written in the box in the mid 90s. Issue #138 is the beginning of this. Before then, the direct books had either spidey's head, Captain america's head or some other character or artwork.

That is indeed the Black Spidey head.

The G.I. Joe #21 direct market first print had the normal Spider-Man Face (White with Black Webbing design). The later prints have The all black Spider-Man Face. Issue #23 is the first issue who's first printing had the all black Spidey face. This ran until around the time spidey went back to his old costume, then the direct editions went back to the normal Spidey face.

That is indeed the normal spidey face

here is a scan of a direct first print. Remember, all-black spidey face is second or third direct print.

gijoe_21_9_8.jpg

They started doing the UPC codes with Direct edition written in the box in the mid 90s. Issue #138 is the beginning of this. Before then, the direct books had either spidey's head, Captain america's head or some other character or artwork.

That is indeed the Black Spidey head.

The G.I. Joe #21 direct market first print had the normal Spider-Man Face (White with Black Webbing design). The later prints have The all black Spider-Man Face. Issue #23 is the first issue who's first printing had the all black Spidey face. This ran until around the time spidey went back to his old costume, then the direct editions went back to the normal Spidey face.

That is indeed the normal spidey face

here is a scan of a direct first print. Remember, all-black spidey face is second or third direct print.

gijoe_21_9_8.jpg

Thanks that clears it up. Anyone know what was the date when they switched back to the regular spidey face in the series?

Edited by Whisp

that was what was special about the direct market books. They didn't have to have anything for a UPC box if a) they wanted to present a cover image with nothing to detract from it and b) they just didn't want to use one (shrug) From 1991 on, on most direct market books, they didn't use the spidey head, but rather began celebrating anniversarys of titles; ex. FF 30th for 1991, X-Men 30th for 1993 and so on.

Really there was no rhyme or reason other than they could

and as for #58.... why mess up this? :devil:

100_0474.jpg

Two questions for the G.I. Joe collecting community:

1) What was the amount offered by a member on these boards for a 9.8 G.I. Joe #21?

2) One of the hottest back issues in the 80s was G.I. Joe #2. It was often advertised as low print run. Was this ever validated? Were there ever numbers given? Was it clever marketing by retailers?

Thanks

Two questions for the G.I. Joe collecting community:

1) What was the amount offered by a member on these boards for a 9.8 G.I. Joe #21?

2) One of the hottest back issues in the 80s was G.I. Joe #2. It was often advertised as low print run. Was this ever validated? Were there ever numbers given? Was it clever marketing by retailers?

Thanks

1) $1,500 or so, I believe :o:shy:

2) #2 has almost always been scarcer (at least in ultra HG) than any of the other early issues (except 21). I don't believe any official numbers were ever released for the early issues (shrug) #2 is the first issue of the series that went back to a second print (#1 was NOT reprinted.... shows how many of those were printed! :o ) and a cgc 9.8 White copy of #1 and a cgc 9.8 White copy of #2, and you will most definately pay more for the #2 (there are 95 cgc 9.8 #1s in the census.... 12 cgc 9.8 copies of #2).

Don't know the numbers since I just started getting them all back since I lost them when I as a kid.

The two storylines that I liked best was when cobra comanders son (Billy) started being trained by Storm Shadow and led into the whole battle with Zartan and his ninjas.

The second storyline I liked was when Cobra and the Joes are battling on Cobra island and Destro Iron Grenadiers come in at the end and pawn.

too bad it will never sell doh! this is the 3rd or 4th time he's listed it at this price :tonofbricks:

Now if it were a 9.6 hm

Hi, does anyone here know if the 21 9.8 ever sold? and if so, how much?

and, on a related note, what's the highest price so far for a mainstream (marvel/dc) copper 9.8?

Edited by mattbird

WOW someone got a fantastic deal/steal. Horrible picture but the seller has a decent feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MIP-GI-JOE-COMIC-155-LAST-ISSUE_W0QQitemZ130240566669QQihZ003QQcategoryZ35765QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm guessing it was a listing error. He has relisted it as an auction. That would have been a great deal though!