• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just back from cgc - Mags

307 posts in this topic

I am pretty happy with the #5, it's a book I have wanted in high grade for a while. I can still remember the look my dad gave me in 1970 when we were on vacation in Texas and I picked up a copy at small convenience store. :eyeroll:

I bought a graded 9.6 earlier this year, mainly due to not being able to find one that high raw, the highest I seemed to be able to find up to that point had been 9.4. One of the two 9.8's came up for auction shortly after that, but quickly went above my price range (price range is a nice way of saying I couldn't afford it). I had pretty much decided that 9.6 would be my highest grade for that book until I found this copy. I knew when I sent it in that it was a 9.8, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Overall I am happy with this group, anytime I can submit books and 80% or more are keepers, it's a good group for me.

:whee:

I used to have a big collection of Vampi mags that I bought off the stands...unfortunately, my mom mistook them for something else and trough the them all out while I was at school.

A sad, but cautionary tale...

Ah yes, the evil nemesis of comics everywhere "MOM" :frustrated:

That reminded me of an interview with Jim Warren from about 10 years ago....

CBA: Were you an avid collector as a kid?

Jim: You bet! Not only comic books but anything on paper that interested me. The first issues of Life magazine, Look, Boy's Life, Popular Mechanics, cereal boxes with interesting stuff on the back, baseball program books, college football pictures, model airplane plans, you name it. The day I came home from the Army I discovered my mother had thrown out my comic book collection. Now, we're talking Action Comics #1 to about #15. We're talking World's Fair Comics—New York World's Fair Comics (1939 and 1940). We're talking the first issues of Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Captain America; we're talking an almost complete collection of The Spirit from the Philadelphia Record newspaper. Shall I go on? It wasn't my mother's fault. Dim-witted lout that I was, I forgot to tell her what these cardboard boxes of magazines meant to me. Excuse me, I think I'll cry now.

CBA: [laughs] Did you eventually forgive your mother?

Jim: Of course not. I still remind her of it. Each year on her birthday, I consult the comic book price guides and total up how much the collection would have been worth. I write the dollar figure on a piece of paper and enclose it in her birthday card. Then, when she opens the card, she cries. It's been a running gag in our family for almost 50 years.

http://twomorrows.com/comicbookartist/articles/04warren.html

Deadliest Heroes of Kung Fu #1, the one and only 9.8

Unique book, it has no advertising :o

Slab was damaged in shipping :mad:

deadliest1.jpg

This book is simply awesome!

It had to travel 2 hours North and it gets damaged doh!

It had to travel 2 hours North and it gets damaged doh!

Normally if there is extra space in the box, they use bubblewrap to fill it in, however for some reason a rocket scientist down there figured pieces of cardboard would work just as well to keep the slabs from moving around in shipping. (about 8 pieces of cardboard were used, but not exactly the same size as the slabs, they were smaller, thus creating stress anywhere there was no cardboard)

It might have worked, but the box was probably dropped somewhere along the line and the slab on the end with the pieces of cardboard took all the shock. It's already on it's way back to cgc, such fun, wait forever to get your books, only to turn around and send one back. On the bright side, maybe they will lower shipping costs since they are saving so much money on bubblewrap.

meh

Fantastic books, FMOF & the Epic (good god, and a 9.8 White no less).

Regarding the BWS Epic, the story inside, I seem to recall, was about an enchanted garden. Fabulous artwork on the cover and inside too.

I wish I'd known about the BWS signing :P I got a Savage Tales #1 signed by him, unfortunately before the SS program existed.

Man, his signature sure has "evolved" since the last time I saw it.

Creepy #1, with Jack Davis & Frank Frazetta signatures

this is off the hook! how much?

I have a number of books that I am not selling until a certain time frame....look for this to happen lol

hellfrozen.jpg

On a side note, those Famous Monsters and the Epic Illustrated are pretty sweet. (thumbs u

Got these back today. Likely going to sell them.

Creepy 43 9.8 White

Creepy 60 9.8 White

Eerie 23 9.4 White

Eerie 41 9.6 White

Vampirella 57 9.8 White

Vampirella 59 9.8 White

Nice grades :applause:

(and I will likely buy one) :banana:

Thankies

Creepy 43 9.8 White

Creepy 60 9.8 White

Eerie 23 9.4 White

Eerie 41 9.6 White

Vampirella 57 9.8 White

Vampirella 59 9.8 White

Thankies

Ok, ok. So I am definitely going to sell them. :grin:

Creepy 43 9.8 White

Creepy 60 9.8 White

Eerie 23 9.4 White

Eerie 41 9.6 White

Vampirella 57 9.8 White

Vampirella 59 9.8 White

Thankies

Ok, ok. So I am definitely going to sell them. :grin:

Then I will definately take this one (thumbs u

Thanks man, I can never have too many of these ;)

eerie23_94.jpg