• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, valiantman said:
On 8/18/2021 at 4:47 AM, Subby1938 said:

The investment part of this sounds shady to me as it’s easy to manipulate these “ shares” "grades" personally I think this huge scam but it’s out there

I fixed that for you.  You said "shares", but you meant "grades" and your quote is from 2001 about CGC. :kidaround:

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say here?  ???

Are you trying to imply that Subby is going to end up going 2 for 2 here, considering how the whole CGC grading game has "evolved" or shall we say played out over the past 2 decades ever since CGC first opened their doors way back in 2000?  hm (shrug)

Especially since one of the clear stated objectives of CGC at the time of its inception was to ensure a "safer" marketplace for all collectors, by moving away from the days of what Borock called the Wild Wild West whereby the comic book doctors and scammers would be "working their craft" on books in their darkened dungeons and then foisting them into an unsuspecting marketplace as HG unrestored books.  (tsk)

Fast forward some 20 odd years and we are now in a marketplace where certain aspects of this once disdained craftwork have become institutionalized and so ingrained in the certification process that many submitters would not even comtemplate having a book graded without first having it shall we say "prepped up" for grading.  Not sure why then that there's still the same lack of disclosure on the work done, with some boardie dealers here even calling this really nothing more than proprietary information and as such, a business advantage which any good business person (which they must be lol) need not and should not be disclosing.  :devil:  :censored:

What I meant by manipulating shares is whos to say the investment company is not propping up their own book to get more investors to buy “ shares” ? So the value is inflated would anyone buy 10K worth of a book if you knew that 70% was owned by the company ???? All I’m saying is you could lose everything and the company walks away with the asset anyways lol. 

The market (for hobby and investments) will move on, whether a hundred fraidy-cats screech out their "scam" warnings or not.  Stocks are shares in companies.  Crypto is shares in electronic records.  Both are trillion dollar markets based on fractional holdings.

Shares in physical assets like comic books, or sports cards, or major artworks, or exotic cars, or historical artifacts, should have happened long before crypto-shares-in-electronic-nothings came along.

The generation of adults born since the 1990s aren't going to invest in emotionless mutual funds of emerging markets for stable growth insurance and banking industries or whatever the boomers bet their retirements on for the past 50 years.  They're not betting on social security either.

The generation of adults born since the 1990s are generally going to know what their investments are in... why they have those investments... and what feeling it gives them.  They obviously don't take boomer advice.

$1.5million for a copy of Super Mario 64 made in 1996 says that the biggest items from pop culture are the investments of the future, and you can be absolutely sure the crypto-generation knows how to own a decimal fraction of something larger no matter how many "It's a scam!" warnings come from old men yelling at clouds.

The Simpsons - Old Man Yells At Cloud - YouTube

Edited by valiantman

Ok take your collectables to your bank and let me what they give you for them …. Maybe you can put them down as payment for new home ……

NOT!!!!!

We live in collectable make believe where everyone thinks these are investments when true investments would never take these as payment ever. Nor would and financial institution. 

Edited by Subby1938

The whole point of the trillion dollar cryptocurrency industry is destroying the financial traditions and what they consider "worthwhile".

And it is winning.

Those clouds you're yelling at will not stop coming.

It's appropriate that your username is nearly 100 years old and features a character that wasn't popular even when it was popular.

Clouds, man, yelling at clouds.

Edited by valiantman

I consider investing in comics & collectibles to be a part of a more diversified investing plan.  I equate it to rich people investing in Art.  I'm talking multi millionaires and billionaires.  Surely they didn't get where they are by buying art.  But it can be a good way to redirect some money that won't sit in a bank account or rely on a potentially volatile market.  Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous.  Being able to "invest" in something like a TMNT 9.8 sounds like a tempting proposition to me.  I just don't see it losing value.  I just wouldn't dump all my money into it.  

On 8/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, BeardedBubba said:

I consider investing in comics & collectibles to be a part of a more diversified investing plan.  I equate it to rich people investing in Art.  I'm talking multi millionaires and billionaires.  Surely they didn't get where they are by buying art.  But it can be a good way to redirect some money that won't sit in a bank account or rely on a potentially volatile market.  Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous.  Being able to "invest" in something like a TMNT 9.8 sounds like a tempting proposition to me.  I just don't see it losing value.  I just wouldn't dump all my money into it.  

Exactly.

Being a fan of TMNT and wanting to put $1,000 in the TMNT should include the choice to own a fraction of a CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 first printing, rather than $1,000 worth of lesser TMNT junk just because it's "affordable".

You’re a big mouth that can’t handle the truth . The truth is my point about banks laughing you out  of their offices is legit . As for making fun of things I collect and enjoy that makes you nothing more than a bully . Who cares if you don’t like something I do . 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, Subby1938 said:

You’re a big mouth that can’t handle the truth . The truth is my point about banks laughing you out  of their offices is legit . As for making fun of things I collect and enjoy that makes you nothing more than a bully . Who cares if you don’t like something I do . 

Why are you in the topic of TMNT #1 and the discussion of the emergence of proportional ownership?  To yell "scam" and promote traditional banking and investments?

Seems like you're no different than an old man yelling at clouds.

You don't see me showing up in your discussions of 1930s Sub-Mariner comics to point out that banks won't take them as collateral either.  

You don't actually have a valid point in this topic, do you?

I'm just a big mouth bully for pointing that out.

Edited by valiantman

Buddy you want point something out how about the fact your username is the absolute worst brand of comics ever invented . EVER!!!!!

I collect Tmnt m and have a few number 1s I didn’t know I had to qualify for a post my lord …..

Edited by Subby1938

On 8/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, Subby1938 said:

Buddy you want point something out how about the fact your username is the absolute worst brand of comics ever invented . EVER!!!!!

I collect Tmnt m and have a few number 1s I didn’t know I had to qualify for a post my lord …..

Yes, I realize that Jim Shooter, Bob Layton, and Barry Windsor-Smith are among the worst comic creators of all time.  Thanks for reminding me.

I also appreciate you reminding me how I bought all those $5 and $10 Valiant comics, got them slabbed, and now they're worth a few hundred dollars each.  Worst decision EVER!!!!!

Let's all bow to your wisdom, spelling, and punctuation.

They're all equally impressive.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:47 PM, Wolverinex said:

Remember that TMNT 1 that sold for a record breaking amount?  Seems awfully suspicious...

Did anyone see the fake bidder NP Gresham mention at 27:46? He's a boardie...

*edit* Looking at the date of that issue, it would appear he probably adopted the name in reference to this practice at Heritage...

Edited by PeterPark

I don’t personally believe that there has been offers up to $220K on a TMNT #1 9.8. Or I should say, I don’t believe there has been valid or ethical offers on a TMNT #1 offers up to $220K. 

I can tell you I had a private offer from a well known Boardie (good guy, good reputation, buys some big #1 issue books over the years) for $150K two months ago. So for me my 9.8 is worth roughly that. ($100,000 less than what one is being offered for;)

Edited by Icculus308win