• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if I remember correctly, weren't most of the books offered up by Rally Road, including the CGC 9.8 TMNT 1, sourced from Metro/CC with Vinnie's name as one of the signatories on the sales/purchase agreements?  hm

Once again - “coincidence?”

On 8/23/2021 at 10:04 PM, Icculus308win said:

I don’t personally believe that there has been offers up to $220K on a TMNT #1 9.8. Or I should say, I don’t believe there has been valid or ethical offers on a TMNT #1 offers up to $220K. 

I can tell you I had a private offer from a well known Boardie (good guy, good reputation, buys some big #1 issue books over the years) for $150K two months ago. So for me my 9.8 is worth roughly that. ($100,000 less than what one is being offered for;)

The very fact that we are talking about a 9.8 TMNT 1 being 220k or ONLY 150k is still mind blowing to me ( in a good way, it's the birth of a historic American franchise that will continue to entertain humans world wide for generations) On a side note I know a collector/dealer who has a goal of getting #1 1st print in every grade from 5.0 to 9.8 & I have personal knowledge of a recent ( a few weeks ago) private sale of a #1 to him for a number in-between the 150k & the 220k so maybe we are not quite at a legit 220k but as of 8/24/21 8.25pm est 150k is a good deal on this book, will that always be the case...who knows AF15 was stagnate for 4 yrs and now a damn 4.0 will cost you 40k+................... Either way TMNT is here to stay and if your lucky enough to own a 1st print in any grade enjoy it because its always has been & always will be a bad @ss book to own!

"It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless" .Belloq 1981 

Edited by I am not Glenda

Thank-you for posting this - awesome to hear/know🤘
So between 3 Boardies we definitely know of legit sales or offers, from legit individuals above $150K👍

Blows my fricken mind that it is really that much here, in the latter part of 2021 for a 9.8 Just fricken nuts

Edited by Icculus308win

On 8/24/2021 at 8:41 PM, Icculus308win said:

Thank-you for posting this - awesome to hear/know🤘
So between 3 Boardies we definitely know of legit sales or offers, from legit individuals above $150K👍

Blows my fricken mind that it is really that much here, in the latter part of 2021 for a 9.8 Just fricken nuts

It really is wild! 

Speaking of which, I’ve only seen one other 9.8 on the boards in the past if I’m correct. It’s gone through the roof! 

I’ve said it before, but nearly 10 years ago I was offered one for 13. Well, I “chewed” the guy down from 18, but couldn’t pull the trigger. I had just bought my first Avengers 1. It’s now 12-16 times that much. Just amazing. Cowabunga! 

On 8/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, SpideyFein said:

I’ve said it before, but nearly 10 years ago I was offered one for 13. Well, I “chewed” the guy down from 18, but couldn’t pull the trigger. I had just bought my first Avengers 1. It’s now 12-16 times that much. Just amazing. Cowabunga! 

Just curious, what grade was the Avengers #1 that you bought?

On 8/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, valiantman said:

It was a “lowly” 3.0 SS Lee. I think I paid $1,300. The 13 would have broken the bank at the time. I had also just bought my first AF 15 1.8 for $3600 among some other keys. 

My 9.2 Turtles 1, which I still have today, was worth 3-4k back then. It then went up to 6, then 8-9, 10-13, now 30+ Crazy. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, SpideyFein said:
On 8/25/2021 at 3:33 PM, valiantman said:

It was a “lowly” 3.0 SS Lee. I think I paid $1,300. The 13 would have broken the bank at the time. I had also just bought my first AF 15 1.8 for $3600 among some other keys. 

My 9.2 Turtles 1, which I still have today, was worth 3-4k back then. It then went up to 6, then 8-9, 10-13, now 30+ Crazy. 

The reason I asked was related to the CGC Census for those books "nearly 10 years ago".  Sometimes I ignore the ages of books and focus on my likelihood of finding another one.  It's the reason I traded a CGC 4.0 AF #15 for a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 when they were identical values.  For several years, that was a bad trade on my part, but I was thinking of the census, not the ages (or fame) of the two books.  Currently, it looks like I did pretty good.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, valiantman said:

The reason I asked was related to the CGC Census for those books "nearly 10 years ago".  Sometimes I ignore the ages of books and focus on my likelihood of finding another one.  It's the reason I traded a CGC 4.0 AF #15 for a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 when they were identical values.  For several years, that was a bad trade on my part, but I was thinking of the census, not the ages (or fame) of the two books.  Currently, it looks like I did pretty good.

That was one of the epic threads of all time. The amount of people that thought you were nuts, those that thought it was a good trade, those that had no idea...epic!

Jdog is still salty about it, I'd bet lol

On 8/25/2021 at 10:12 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:
On 8/25/2021 at 6:07 PM, valiantman said:

That was one of the epic threads of all time. The amount of people that thought you were nuts, those that thought it was a good trade, those that had no idea...epic!

There was a poll associated with the topic (at the time, both books were worth about $8,000), and 75% voted CGC 4.0 AF #15 and 25% voted CGC 9.6 TMNT #1.  The interesting thing was that the AF #15 supporters seemed absolutely confident - like the question was ridiculous, while the TMNT #1 supporters seemed to "just barely" give the nod to TMNT.

At the moment, everyone who spoke up in that topic was wrong.  No one predicted $80K to $100K for TMNT by the time the AF #15 reached $50K.

On 8/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, Gump24601 said:

Man I'm hoping it was legit - the fact that it was via CC and not HA is a bit more comforting, but you just never know these days with the shilling that's happening and what books are being pumped or not.

My sentiments - exactly

Between Advisors & Signatories….

4F0D06BC-9305-4DAF-90E2-A5303D2D303F.jpeg.e30e45a99e5b8163e25a4d60ebbb7794.jpeg