• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 5:08 AM, GAMBIT said:

what did the 9.2 go for (on CC)

Ummm......................it's a simple click away and jus a case of just checking their CC auction archives:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901540?tzf=1

tee2.613_1.jpg

Looks like this copy here sold for $32,001 or at almost double Overstreet top of guide.  (thumbsu

On 8/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, Icculus308win said:
On 8/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, Gump24601 said:

Man I'm hoping it was legit - the fact that it was via CC and not HA is a bit more comforting, but you just never know these days with the shilling that's happening and what books are being pumped or not.

My sentiments - exactly

Well, from my own personal POV, out of all of the millions of comic books that have been published since Funnies on Parade way back in 1933, I would have to say that TMNT 1 is by far the top book out there that would be the easiest for either a power dealer(s) or auction house to manipulate its price upwards.  hm

Especially if you consider the rather late time period that it came out relative not only to comic book collecting as a hobby, but even moreso comic book speculating.  Now combined this with the impact of the TMNT movies which were to follow a few short years later and you have the setup for the perfect storm that would eventually take place in terms of the initial supply and subsequent demand factors. (thumbsu

No need to explain the demand factors as that is pretty evident for all to see.  What's interesting though is the supply side with a initial run of only 3,000 copies which is large enough to ensure an adequate supply of high grade copies (ie. almost 200 slabbed copies in CGC 9.4 and above, with almost 100 of these in CGC 9.6 and above to date so far) to fuel the market upwards. You definitely can't do this with a GA book or even an early SA book since it's far too late to attempt something like this.  And yet at the same time, the supply is also low enough that you don't have thousands of HG copies (e.g. Spidey 300) out there whereby it's really the marketplace that sets the price and beyond the control of any one dealer. 

So, if a power dealer(s) (or a market maker in this case here) was astute and patient enough to have read these tea leaves and ended up acquiring a small quantity of TMNT 1's back in the day when it was still available at a more reasonable price, they just might be able to deftly place HG copies of TMNT 1 into the marketplace at the right price points along the way to drive the valuations for this book up quite substantially.  :devil:  :taptaptap:

Just food for thought and if this scenario actually has any truth to it, a definite windfall for the holders of this book who has gone along for the ride.:applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, Subby1938 said:

Another add today from cgc . Both of these copies I purchased raw and am very pleased with grade. 

10EA2A1D-44A5-4008-8022-5CE743BD6CBE.jpeg

7CD45A84-6493-4BCD-852B-C8C096DC34C0.jpeg

nice back and front splinter side by side! Thanks for that :headbang: 

and congrats :) 

On 9/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, Icculus308win said:

C94FB61C-FD7B-4B82-9306-3457ED10A0BA.thumb.png.b0edc75384b2e7445921340d5be67d51.png

Watched the auction on this book here and although it looked like the auctioneer was trying to pull teeth, at least he managed to get it back up there to the same level that their last CGC 9.6 graded copy had sold for at $66K back in the beginning of April.  (thumbsu

Still $22K shy of what CC was able to get for their 9.6 copy when it hit the auction block in the middle of April at $88K, but that was probably more of an outlier due to the  irrational exuberance in the marketplace at the time, although it's probably still with us to a slightly smaller extent.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Watch the auction on this book here and although it looked like the auctioneer was trying to pull teeth, at least he managed to get it back up there to the same level that their last CGC 9.6 graded copy had sold for at $66K back in the beginning of April.  (thumbsu

Still $22K shy of what CC was able to get for their 9.6 copy when it hit the auction block in the middle of April at $88K, but that was probably more of an outlier due to the  irrational exuberance in the marketplace at the time, although it's probably still with us to a slightly smaller extent.  (shrug)

I was also a bit surprised it didnt break 80k, based on the CC OW/W copy that sold last week for 78k.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 8.54.53 PM.png

On 9/8/2021 at 8:56 PM, Wolverinex said:

Was a good read for what it was, and the 9.9 and perfect 10 with no or little to no manufacturing defects and no handling for either grade was a nice concise explanation!

On 9/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was a good read for what it was, and the 9.9 and perfect 10 with no or little to no manufacturing defects and no handling for either grade was a nice concise explanation!

Unfiortunatelyas all of us know here, grading is really nothing more than a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called "expert" one) at a particular time when a book crosses a grader's table, as opposed to being an exact science or anything even close to it.  :gossip:

On 9/8/2021 at 9:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfiortunatelyas all of us know here, grading is really nothing more than a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called "expert" one) at a particular time when a book crosses a grader's table, as opposed to being an exact science or anything even close to it.  :gossip:

Yes but it was concise for the basis of that view point. I dont pretend to know manufacturing defects, maybe a couple of books, but that must be quite extensive to claim "expert opinions" on all books. I'm glad to know that manufacturing defects is the basis rather than handling :)

On 9/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, lou_fine said:

It's not quite that bad. I recall reading somewhere that CGC uses three independent graders. One of them is the head grader who has the final word, but after he/she determines the grade, they look to see what the other graders gave the comic. That way, they're less likely to miss a defect or to be too affected by whatever mood they're in on that day. Sure, it's not an exact science, but they do strive for consistency.

On 9/9/2021 at 1:03 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I think ending on an early Wednesday afternoon hurt it, a lot. Kinda dumb.

Maybe, but I watched the entire auction, and most of the items did very well, usually doubling, and sometimes tripling, the pre-auction price. The level of enthusiasm for TMNT seemed very low. Not only was the final bid not a big increase over the pre-live price, but the bidding was very slow. Like lou_fine said, it was like pulling teeth trying to get people to bid.