• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, valiantman said:

The reason I asked was related to the CGC Census for those books "nearly 10 years ago".  Sometimes I ignore the ages of books and focus on my likelihood of finding another one.  It's the reason I traded a CGC 4.0 AF #15 for a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 when they were identical values.  For several years, that was a bad trade on my part, but I was thinking of the census, not the ages (or fame) of the two books.  Currently, it looks like I did pretty good.

Yes, I think you did well! You definitely have a good feel for the market, and really can’t go wrong with either book. They are my top 2 favorites, and always classics. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, valiantman said:

There was a poll associated with the topic (at the time, both books were worth about $8,000), and 75% voted CGC 4.0 AF #15 and 25% voted CGC 9.6 TMNT #1.  The interesting thing was that the AF #15 supporters seemed absolutely confident - like the question was ridiculous, while the TMNT #1 supporters seemed to "just barely" give the nod to TMNT.

At the moment, everyone who spoke up in that topic was wrong.  No one predicted $80K to $100K for TMNT by the time the AF #15 reached $50K.

If I had the TMNT now, I'd sell and buy older stuff. (shrug)

Golden age for the simple fact they always appreciate in a healthy manner. Short term and long term they are a great era to look into if possible . I couldn’t just sell all my TMNT as I’m a fan as well I’d def sell high grade and buy lower grade copy and move the funds into other keys to get more for my PC. 

Edited by Subby1938

On 12/16/2013 at 5:28 PM, pubmonkey said:

yup, it's a good price for this book, I don't think we'll see one selling for less than that again. In 10 years we'll see it well above that as long as the population doesn't grow by many more. At that point it'll be a 40 year old book! Once all the 9.8's have been bought (from those who are submitting them) and stashed away in private collections we'll see the demand go up. There's definitely more of a market for the lower grades at this time and even those will have nowhere to go but up.

Your prediction is quite bang on! A 9.8 sold for $240k last week (08/2021)

On 2/25/2014 at 3:16 PM, maloney414 said:

Get a 2nd Print. (thumbs u

Except for the 2nd print, the reprints don't do it for me on this book. 2c

Bare with me because it's tough to explain. Plus, it could just be I'm weird. lol

The original 1st print and 2nd print are the only books I still feel the magic of TMNT #1 while reading it.

The 3rd print is shaded darker, and the other reprints are smaller (plus some are also shaded differently). Those aspects constantly remind me I'm reading a reprint. Maybe to most people it doesn't matter. The story is the same, sure. But they don't "feel" right to me while reading them. I want that magazine size book that looks and feels the same. 2c

I'll bet when Sauce Dog read his book he felt the magic I'm talking about.

My 1st print is slabbed; however, I'll always own a 2nd print for my reading copy.

Anyone else feel that way???

Yep I hear you :)

On 8/27/2021 at 11:41 PM, Gazoony said:

we're biased towards the turtles books, but what would you buy? I wouldn't sell my TMNT books for anything, especially my #1.

I love early TMNT too but Comic Connect just sold #1 1st print Cgc 9.8 at fixed price for $245k as reported in Diamond's Scoop Sept, 2021. Time to sell 9.6's or 9.4's?

On 8/31/2021 at 6:51 PM, sorrenmj said:

Yep I hear you :)

Third print is almost identical to both 1 & 2 prints  and comparing Cgc blue to actual print run they are undervalued and much lower in census  . It’s 100% same book and nobody should try and spill milk on that fact . It’s BS I love mine and it’s same magazine size . I’ve owned first print as well def know the differences between them 

Edited by Subby1938