• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

Well in less than a fortnight we will find out if legit. 
It is weird yet another invest co, with yet another (lately BIG) purchase 
of something in the hobby/collecting world. Seems to be current trend. 
Beginning of July Alt fund II,“alternative asset investment platform” who specialize with cards, were the buyers of the highest price ever paid for a sports/trading card in early July. .     

It was a 1/1 Steph Curry rookie card for $5.9mill. Beating the $5.2mill paid for a Lebron rookie in April.   
(So happy “King” Jame’s card was dethroned :luhv: Surprised not a Jordan, but so happy it is a Curry)    

I’d like a 9.8 sale from a comic site/auction house :busy:    
l have also never heard of OTIS, was like WTF lol 

“Pardon me, Doug (pardon me, Doug)
Is this a picture of Otis Redding?
Yes! Yes! Taken just before he died
Well you can give me his hide (well you can give me his hide”

Edited by Icculus308win

GPA shows a CGC 9.4 TMNT #1 first printing recorded sold at $46,500 on July 26 - a new record for the grade (unsigned).

ComicConnect also mentions the sale in their current auction for a CGC 9.6, but I don't know if they sold the 9.4.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/924372

Edited by valiantman

On 8/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, valiantman said:

GPA shows a CGC 9.4 TMNT #1 first printing recorded sold at $46,500 on July 26 - a new record for the grade (unsigned).

ComicConnect also mentions the sale in their current auction for a CGC 9.6, but I don't know if they sold the 9.4.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/924372

Here the 9.4 that sold June 24, 2021. $58,555, but signed inside.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901546

Also did y'all see this? Currently on ComicConnect listed at $250,000 and what looks like an offer of $220,000 declined.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/929799?tzf=1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, ghn999 said:

As a longtime collector, I definitely recognize some of those specific pieces. I've seen that season 1 animation cel in a couple different collections, but now it has more autographs. And I made a similar framed display of that pinback button set for a Technodrome forum member a few years back. I don't think this is his collection though, as his collection was focused on action figures. Whoever it was, I hope they got a good payday. What a dedicated collector!

That is a crazy and impressive collection, but man it must have been exhausting collecting all that. I feel like I have too many books and I got like 4 short boxes. LOL.

Like some else said. I hope the guy got a good price for all of it.

Edited by Gazoony

On 7/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, Subby1938 said:
On 7/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, manetteska said:

WTF is OTIS?

And last I checked $145k <> $200k.

It’s all good I also wasn’t pushing the info I said I to was unconfirmed but OTIS is a site where you buy shares of grail books . That’s what they value 9.8 at they purchased as a team of investors whenever they bought it . Asking price is what’s listed but to sell the investor group votes on wether to dump their “ stock “ 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

OTIS?. Never heard of it.

Yes, first I have heard of this OTIS.  ???

Sounds very similar to Rally Road which we had a few threads back last year or so.  I remember a CGC 9.8 graded cpy of TMNT 1 was one of the books that had sold out rather quickly through Rally Road.  Makes me wonder whatever happened to that copy in the end?  hm

On 8/18/2021 at 12:21 AM, spracknetch23 said:

As a longtime collector, I definitely recognize some of those specific pieces. I've seen that season 1 animation cel in a couple different collections, but now it has more autographs. And I made a similar framed display of that pinback button set for a Technodrome forum member a few years back. I don't think this is his collection though, as his collection was focused on action figures. Whoever it was, I hope they got a good payday. What a dedicated collector!

It's very interesting when you see collectors do this. I don't think I ever could. I "flirted" getting rid of my massive moc collection recently, as I just moved and want to keep my wife happy lol Of course I would keep a set of 10 backs and certain favorites. I could NEVER get rid of all things turtles though, and guess it's an all or nothing for others. I could never do it though!

I'm sure the seller did well, and I give him kudos as well to amass a collection so extensive. I have an almost identical Laird/Lavigne sketch as well.

On 8/18/2021 at 2:57 AM, lou_fine said:

I remember a CGC 9.8 graded cpy of TMNT 1 was one of the books that had sold out rather quickly through Rally Road.  Makes me wonder whatever happened to that copy in the end?  hm

1,000 shares of CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 were sold for $65 each by RallyRd on July 24, 2020.  RallyRd accepted a buyout offer on June 8, 2021 for $92 (net) per share. 

Cash payouts of $92 per share were paid.  41.5% return in 319 days.

The minimum investment was $65.  There's no other way to get anywhere near TMNT #1 1st, 2nd, or 3rd printing for under $100.  People won't "do without" if they don't have to.

Owning shares is the future.  RallyRd may not be the answer, OTIS may not be the answer, but shares in the biggest books (or cards, or artwork, or novels, or jerseys, etc.) in the market are the future. 

The only question left to answer is which venue(s) will win out.  My guess is that it will be some company we haven't seen yet, backed by the biggest names in these hobbies/banking/insurance/investments.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, Subby1938 said:

The investment part of this sounds shady to me as it’s easy to manipulate these “ shares” "grades" personally I think this huge scam but it’s out there

I fixed that for you.  You said "shares", but you meant "grades" and your quote is from 2001 about CGC. :kidaround:

On 8/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, valiantman said:

1,000 shares of CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 were sold for $65 each by RallyRd on July 24, 2020.  RallyRd accepted a buyout offer on June 8, 2021 for $92 (net) per share. 

Cash payouts of $92 per share were paid.  41.5% return in 319 days.

The minimum investment was $65.  There's no other way to get anywhere near TMNT #1 1st, 2nd, or 3rd printing for under $100.  People won't "do without" if they don't have to.

Owning shares is the future.  RallyRd may not be the answer, OTIS may not be the answer, but shares in the biggest books (or cards, or artwork, or novels, or jerseys, etc.) in the market are the future. 

The only question left to answer is which venue(s) will win out.  My guess is that it will be some company we haven't seen yet, backed by the biggest names in these hobbies/banking/insurance/investments.

BLaCKstone!

On 8/18/2021 at 7:35 AM, valiantman said:

Well, if I remember correctly, weren't most of the books offered up by Rally Road, including the CGC 9.8 TMNT 1, sourced from Metro/CC with Vinnie's name as one of the signatories on the sales/purchase agreements?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, lou_fine said:
On 8/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, valiantman said:

Well, if I remember correctly, were most of the books offered up by Rally Road, including the CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 sourced from Metro/CC with Vinnie's name as one of the signatories on the sales/purchase agreements?  hm

Yep, but Metro/CC being involved hasn't stopped those still yelling "scam". lol