• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, pubmonkey said:

Thanks @GM8 for always highlighting the interesting stuff.

To put the above mentioned sale into perspective l picked up my 9.8 in 2012 for $1k less than this 9.0 sold for...

I want to know where all the 2nd prints have gone. There were twice as many printed as the first print but they are much less represented in the census. With their prices rising, especially for high grades, surely more would have come out of the woodwork?

They were historically dismissed as a worthless copy. They were trashed/destroyed. I bet there's less surviving copies of 2nd prints than the 1st.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:53 AM, Sauce Dog said:

2nd print is 100% the way to go - because it still is technically a real 1st appearance, what I mean is by the time they did a 3rd print other TMNT issues had already been published (3rd print came out in 1985, after issues #2 was published. So in my mind it isn't a true 1st appearance if they already had more issues before it.)

Great advice!

On 9/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, you are definitely right about the book being off-centered just by taking a look at the clearly visible misaligned white line running down the spine: :p

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F5%2F24075926%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Just imagine paying $265K for a copy that I would flipped right past if I saw it on the shelves of the LCS at the time or simply leave the store to head to another LCS in town for a better looking copy.  :devil:  doh!

I think its possible that without that white line on the spine it might not have gotten a 9.8 since the black is so delicate....

On 9/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, tvindy said:

Well, like I said, it's not a perfect system, but you really can't tell what all the defects are once once a comic has been slabbed. My guess is that the Wonder Woman comic has an interior defect, liked a torn page or crayon marks, that lowered the grade.

And your guess would be wrong because if I remember correctly, the Graders Notes had nothing in terms of interior defects as it was all about those nasty "additional revenue generating defects" that you can see only if you hold the book up at a certain angle to the light.  And yet, if you have a fugly "production" rat chew throughout the entire book that even Mr. Magoo could see on his worst days, you get a free pass from the graders:  :devil:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F24384004%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Any bets if I was to submit a book like this at random with a big chunk like that missing from the corner, I would also get it back in a grade with a "5" in it, but unfortunately for a no-name submitter like me, the "5" would be on the other side of the decimal point.  :frustrated:  :censored:

On 9/12/2021 at 4:13 AM, lou_fine said:

And your guess would be wrong because if I remember correctly, the Graders Notes had nothing in terms of interior defects as it was all about those nasty "additional revenue generating defects" that you can see only if you hold the book up at a certain angle to the light.  And yet, if you have a fugly "production" rat chew throughout the entire book that even Mr. Magoo could see on his worst days, you get a free pass from the graders:  :devil:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F24384004%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Any bets if I was to submit a book like this at random with a big chunk like that missing from the corner, I would also get it back in a grade with a "5" in it, but unfortunately for a no-name submitter like me, the "5" would be on the other side of the decimal point.  :frustrated:  :censored:

I think they probably gave that a pass, because a WWII era rat putting its mark on an early comic gives it a greater feeling of authenticity and actually enhances the bondage-themed cover. :bigsmile:

On 9/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, tvindy said:

You can get a 0.5 for a few hundred dollars. I know that's extremely low-grade, but at least you'd have one. And it would increase in value over time.

I'd love a 0.5. It be in such poor condition it'd present a newdifferent kinda charm. Plus I'd have the lowest entry and nobody would love it more than me! I'll be looking out for such a copy :)

On 8/11/2020 at 1:17 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I figured I would only slab my 1st print and leave the rest raw to read since they wouldn't be "expensive"

I think this maybe suggests why there are not so many 2nd prints circulating. People just didn't think they would ever become valuable? 2nd prints were reading copies that eventually got trashed maybe.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:25 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well someone thought it was worth that much lol, with at least one more person if not more feeling it was close to that much. You have to remember the 2nd print is significantly rarer than the 3rd print. So I’d say 2nd has more room to grow than 3rd without question.

2nd prints are already following the trend of the 1st prints from about 10 years ago. I remember reading posts on the boards where people were considering buying 1st prints for circa 2k. 2nd prints are now selling for circa 2k. It seems clear to me 2nd prints are going the way of 1st prints from 10 years ago and catching up fast!