• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 7:03 AM, jaybuck43 said:

You're reaching.

I thought I might be, but now I see the similarities every time I look at the comic - I can't un-see it. Maybe it's the same brick platform, or the image slant... The main difference is color scheme, the wall behind DD, and the image is 'mirrored'. It would be awesome to get the artists answer - but again, I may just be reaching. :nyah:

On 3/2/2022 at 8:02 AM, sorrenmj said:

Awesome list thanks for sharing this 

No problem! I went ahead and adjusted the list to add the changes mentioned by 'Turtle', and I added a few changes I forgot about.

*Some IDW issues are listed as '#1 Homage - Reprints' because those comics reprint Issue #1 inside, and not just the homage cover. All other IDW issues that do not reprint Issue #1 inside are (mostly) listed in the '#1 Homage Cover - IDW Ongoing' category. Also, the Ultimate Visual History books are not a reprint of Issue #1, but the comic tucked in the back cover is an Issue #1 reprint, but is not listed as a separate comic in this list, and therefore is in the '#1 Homage Cover - Other' category instead.

The grand total Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1 Issue #1 Homage covers = 105 (+2 if you count the 2014 and 2018 Ultimate Visual History as 2 each because the Hard Cover is a homage and the comic reprint tucked in the back cover is a homage as well).

If you know of any homage comics missing from this list, or you see any mistakes I made, please let me know.

List_A.jpg

List_B.jpg

List_C.jpg

List_D.jpg

I'll be picking up a few books I was unaware of before this list.  Others I've decided I'll pass on.  We Live and Battlecats just don't cut the mustard for me.  The poses are off, the number of characters is wrong, We Live doesn't have the same color scheme (Battlecats kind of gets it), neither has a blocky title, and neither has the same art style.  It's tempting me to make some sort of litmus test.  The cover has to check a certain number of boxes for me to count it.  For me, the Ninja Scout book works.  It doesn't have the same number of characters or the right poses, but it has everything else I listed.  I'll have to think on this more.  The more I do, I'm thinking the Radically Rearranged Ronin Ragdolls doesn't fit the bill for me.  What do you think?:

1415655769_201808-RadicallyRearrangedRoninRagdolls1.thumb.jpg.664901c5aa991bdb6ca4dc6a6435dc16.jpg

I really dig the list.  Thanks for posting @Drake Dragoon

Edited by Turtle

On 3/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, Turtle said:

I'm thinking the Radically Rearranged Ronin Ragdolls doesn't fit the bill for me.  What do you think?

I keep forgetting to add this to my list  lol Thanks!

And EEK I didn't know there were that many more Do You Pooh? variants!

The list grows and grows! (no that's-what-she-said jokes allowed!)

Also, the Do You Pooh? Raphael variants should be added to the Micro-Series Homage list I posted above, if anyone else collects those.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, oakman29 said:

I haven't checked your completed list. Is this one in it?

collected-tmnt-700x552.jpg.67f3fcb2c96ff042c008d98b2951777d.jpg

This bundle is from the KES website (sold out) which he also included a copy of the 35th Anniversary Director's Cut Raphael (comics and Ponies) inside. The Director's Cut variant isn't included in a sealed box.

If anyone needs the Director's Cut, there is only 1 left on eBay for $65 right now (unsigned). I got mine already.

My first TMNT issue that I bought off the stands was issue 6 when I was a kid in the 80s. Issue 5 was one of the first comics overall that I ever paid a more-than-cover price 'premium' to have. I think I paid something like $10 for it at the time when I saw it displayed on the LCS wall. It became the jewel of my young collection. I was giddy. As for the first four issues, I just longed for them, could never imagine ever being able to buy first prints of any of those originals, as they were already waaay too expensive for a kid. Heck, I never even saw them anywhere, only pictures of them in the ads or magazines, but never in a store.

Here's a "heroes in a half-shell" vintage wall poster collection. These are usually 22x34. The first two were made by Western Graphics, around 1990. The Rick Veitch cover poster is from Mirage around the same time. Numbers 4-6 are from '94 or so, I think from Image Comics, and include one by Todd McFarlane. I also have the original movie poster which is the standard 27x40.

TMNTapril1.JPG

TMNTbuild1.JPG

TMNTveitch.JPG

TMNTsavage.JPG

TMNTpaint.JPG

tmntmac.jpg

TMNTmovie1.JPG

Edited by jdandns