• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,386 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 6:40 PM, sorrenmj said:

Thanks. My TMNT #2 (1984) is a 4.0 which I think looks OK. But I am guessing if I had it in 9.8 it would have more of a whoa factor. I've seen comics graded much lower than a 4.0 and still look great, wonderfully aged and textured. I would like to see what a #1 (1984) in 9.8 looks like but I will probably never see one to know. I bet that would be something to see

My 9.0 looks just as nice as a 9.8 lol.  Ive seen and held them.  They only "wow" factor is the value and price.  I've seen low grades that look nicer than high grades and vice versa.  Honestly, the only time I'm wowed by ultra high grade is GA books.  Because back then NOONE collected.  So that a book came off the newsstand and lasted 60+ years in such high grade is amazing.  A 9.8 Copper book is kinda like "well ya, I expect that".  

On 5/5/2023 at 7:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Indeed and it's a mouser cover and 1st April, a continuation story, basically 2nd appearance of Turtles, or any turtle fan would enjoy, but that is just my opinion. Key is a relative term, but it is an important issue for a lot of people :)

I'd personally like a sketch of April O'Neil by an artist, and I played the video games as a kid, story wise it hits the nostalgia button. I can't say why it's a key other than the obvious note, but for me it checks a lot of boxes. The term key gets thrown around, but means to most an important quality or book, I know what it is for me so it's a good question to inquire why I like it. :)

But there can be too many to name, if it were #1 I think hat nothing would stand out more than 1st toitles lol

But beyond that and since it's unattainable as a 1st print, there are th other books ^^

Key for me is that it introduces something integral to the universe.  So for the turtles, #1, #2, Raph #1 are your CORE keys.  Why?  Because basically every major Turtles character premiers there.  You have Splinter, Shredder, Leo, Mike, Raph, and Don, April, and Casey.  Then you have your major keys.  TMNT Archie #1 (first Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, since they became integral to the concept of the TMNT universe, even though there first TRUE appearance is in the cartoon Ala Harley Quinn and BA 12).  Then your minor keys (TMNT #10, TMNT 19-21, TMNT 51-62) why?  because they're important stories and major art by Kev and Pete, but not as important because they're not universally understood by any TMNT fan.  Then you get Flash keys that get hot for some weird reason (why do people suddenly care about Space Usage, don't get that but whatever).

On 5/6/2023 at 2:11 AM, jaybuck43 said:

O since it's the 39th anniversary today....  Happy Birthday Boys. (just a small part of my collection)

image.thumb.jpeg.295ba2bf2c7d958522965b6239a2133b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d50e7431544e67f6b15901b390156b10.jpeg

image.jpeg.428d269b2ed540f92bed229b55e058da.jpegimage.jpeg.370d0f180317342a9346f61231a6aac0.jpegimage.jpeg.d811b71e9230c178e172be8793cc0e5e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.af81bb53b099d27d92ae6cad21557573.jpegimage.jpeg.521aa7555efd57902f1825c7d43cb1c9.jpeg

@jaybuck43 That's a collection of dreams right there! If you were to pick just one favourite from your collection what would be it?

On 5/6/2023 at 6:53 AM, sorrenmj said:

Something I’ve never seen before. Can’t say I’d have much interest but the signature is sort of justified since the TMNT 1 cover is a direct homage to Miller’s “Ronin”. His signature almost looks like a Turtle head sketch. 

On 5/6/2023 at 2:03 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Key for me is that it introduces something integral to the universe.  So for the turtles, #1, #2, Raph #1 are your CORE keys.  Why?  Because basically every major Turtles character premiers there.  You have Splinter, Shredder, Leo, Mike, Raph, and Don, April, and Casey.  Then you have your major keys.  TMNT Archie #1 (first Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, since they became integral to the concept of the TMNT universe, even though there first TRUE appearance is in the cartoon Ala Harley Quinn and BA 12).  Then your minor keys (TMNT #10, TMNT 19-21, TMNT 51-62) why?  because they're important stories and major art by Kev and Pete, but not as important because they're not universally understood by any TMNT fan.  Then you get Flash keys that get hot for some weird reason (why do people suddenly care about Space Usage, don't get that but whatever).

That's a perfect summary, and has now got through my thick head, thanks! I am curious though, is Fugitoid a key of sorts, or could be? I think Fugitoid should be at least a minor key, no? I think Fugitoid is overlooked because there is no mention of the Turtles on the cover. The Fugitoid issue is one of my absolute favourite comic book experiences. I will never forget that end scene where Fugitoid's back is up against the wall and then the turtles suddenly reappear from the pages of TMNT #4!

On 5/6/2023 at 12:15 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I think Fugitoid is often overlooked because of what you mentioned (no Turtles on cover), but also it’s not really integral to the overall story arc and it doesn’t introduce any new characters. 

But it introduces Fugitoid! I hear what you're saying though. I guess I woke up this morning too obsessed about the Honeycutt character! Fugitoid is such a perfect design and the comic has some of the most amazing scenes/illustrations in it. And even the name Fugitoid is easy to "get", you don't need a dictionary to work out that it means robot on the run!

On 5/6/2023 at 6:53 AM, sorrenmj said:

That book has been discussed here before. There's some logic to it but let's just say my opinion on the matter is that Miller's signature would have made a lot better of a novelty on one of the later reprints.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:23 AM, sorrenmj said:

But it introduces Fugitoid! I hear what you're saying though. I guess I woke up this morning too obsessed about the Honeycutt character! Fugitoid is such a perfect design and the comic has some of the most amazing scenes/illustrations in it. And even the name Fugitoid is easy to "get", you don't need a dictionary to work out that it means robot on the run!

It's actually not his first appearance, that being Gobbledygook 1.

On 5/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, Ryan. said:

That book has been discussed here before. There's some logic to it but let's just say my opinion on the matter is that Miller's signature would have made a lot better of a novelty on one of the later reprints.

I thought it has been mentioned before, but this board is 398 pages long, and yes I have read every page! As sad as it might sound on my part, I am a little concerned about the number of signed comics now, it seems rarer to find one not signed.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:25 AM, Ryan. said:

It's actually not his first appearance, that being Gobbledygook 1.

Yup, and it doesn’t really tie into the turtles until book 5 and then after 7 I don’t think we see him again until the idw series. So until rather recently fugioid didn’t have a huge connection to the turtles universe.

image.jpeg.016a587cc1089600221b2723d4dca3ab.jpeg

On 5/6/2023 at 1:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Yup, and it doesn’t really tie into the turtles until book 5 and then after 7 I don’t think we see him again until the idw series. So until rather recently fugioid didn’t have a huge connection to the turtles universe.

image.jpeg.016a587cc1089600221b2723d4dca3ab.jpeg

That clears it up then! I’m just Honeycutt obsessed! Isn’t Fugitoid a kind of reprint of Gobbledygook parts 1&2 with a tweaked ending to tie in with the TMNT?! 

On 5/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Probably the Raph #1 page 7, first appearance of Casey Jones. Though this is also a big runner up. This was Steve lavines personal Mikey that sat in his store the entire time shellback existed. It’s signed by him and Peter laird. He sits in my office with me lol 

70405733937__9B8B6F35-6032-49FA-9950-3230F125E509.jpeg

That’s so cool! I can see the head sketch on the foot. Turtle foot (not the bad foot)

On 5/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Probably the Raph #1 page 7, first appearance of Casey Jones. Though this is also a big runner up. This was Steve lavines personal Mikey that sat in his store the entire time shellback existed. It’s signed by him and Peter laird. He sits in my office with me lol 

70405733937__9B8B6F35-6032-49FA-9950-3230F125E509.jpeg

I have that artisan book. I’m now wondering whether I should buy a compendium vol 1!