• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

All this fuss over $1.80 in paypal fees. Get a grip! doh!
Exactly, and the offer was to split the fee . . . so 90 cents! doh!

:gossip: Why that's barely half a Euro these days lol

I think asking for Paypal fees is a definate no-no. There are zero listing fees here. Suck it up. :sumo:

If someone wants to negotiate on the price of your book, then I do not see using the paypal fees or whether or not if they will pay by check or MO as part of the negotiation as anything wrong. (shrug)

This is of course before the deal is finalized.

Agreed. I've paid Paypal fees in the past as part of negotiating a discount.

Jim

I think asking for Paypal fees is a definate no-no. There are zero listing fees here. Suck it up. :sumo:

If someone wants to negotiate on the price of your book, then I do not see using the paypal fees or whether or not if they will pay by check or MO as part of the negotiation as anything wrong. (shrug)

This is of course before the deal is finalized.

Agreed. I've paid Paypal fees in the past as part of negotiating a discount.

Jim

A 3% discount? (shrug)

A 3% discount? (shrug)

That's not the only factor. If you're asking for a 15-20% discount on an item, I guess it does matter...

I've never asked for it but some sellers on the Forum have when talking negotiated price...

Jim

It doesn't happen often, but I have sold some books on the boards that if the buyer paid by paypal then breaking even just turned into a several hundred dollar loss.

Guess you should have upped your asking price.... :whistle:

In my opinion, the amount of money is irrelevant. It has to do with staying on course with the deal that was agreed upon.

lol

PLEASE. It's ninety freakin cents!

bang-head-on-keyboard.gif

I find it especially interesting that the Donnelly Brothers, who are known for very aggressive OA pricing, are being so cheap about minor fees, given the listing cost them nothing and the sale was only $60.

Glad someone mentioned this. For the Donnelly's to complain about a transaction after 5 or 6 days is freaking hilarious. I tried dealing with them in the late 90's on 2 pieces of art & after 3 weeks was so frustrated that I have not gone back. Art went from sold to unsold to new price to let me check with my brother to make me an offer. It was crazy.

Looks like there were two mistakes made here:

1) Seller failed to list the proper disclaimers for the sales thread (postage, form of payment, ect) and

2) failure of the buyer to set terms completely before committing on the purchase

IMHO, the book belongs to the buyer and is pending payment, wether it's to a p.o. box or not. (shrug)

The seller, not having stipulated "no Paypal", should suck-up the fees.

:hi:

Well...

I'd say that if there were undisclosed charges, the buyer is free from any obligation to follow through with the purchase. Further, I think it's safe to say that it's generally understood on the forum that if you're going to accept paypal, then you're going to have fees that come out of the price. Only time I have ever asked someone to cover paypal fees was when I found some nice deals at my LCS and bought them for fellow board members--and I didn't make a dime off the deal (though I DID make some friends :hi: )

THAT said, regardless of whether the communication was here, there, in box, or with a fox, there's never a reason to present one's self without some level of self-respect and class. Just my 2c though. There's no reason to get into a name-calling contest: if you dislike the person that much, just bite your lip and walk away.

Looks like there were two mistakes made here:

1) Seller failed to list the proper disclaimers for the sales thread (postage, form of payment, ect) and

2) failure of the buyer to set terms completely before committing on the purchase

IMHO, the book belongs to the buyer and is pending payment, wether it's to a p.o. box or not. (shrug)

The seller, not having stipulated "no Paypal", should suck-up the fees.

:hi:

After everything stated. Would you REALLY wanna deal with that person ?

I say suck it up and walk away. Sometimes things dont work as they should and in the end , It is best both parties walk away. After getting blasted the way Comcasthawk did, I wouldnt wanna send that guy money, or take his book.