• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Curious: If the seller admitted to not knowing the market value of the book and simply asked to cancel the deal due to his error, which he now recognizes, would you guys have let him off the hook?

It's not up to us to let him off the hook. It's up to the buyer who did the deal with him.

If the buyer wants to do that it is his call. If someone did it the right way and posed it as a question and not a statement of what he was going to do regardless I can see it as being possible.

That brings us to this incident. So far we haven't seen a ton of deference or communication or respect for the buyer's concerns. I hope that changes.

That brings us to this incident. So far we haven't seen a ton of deference or communication or respect for the buyer's concerns. I hope that changes.

Has there been any word from this seller? There's been a ton of Perry Mason like defense of this dork but the bottom line seems pretty clear up to now. He took the money and hit the road. (shrug)

When are people going to realize that new seller + 1/2 12 month GPA = huge likelihood of scam?

You would think it would be common sense but well...you know what they say about that. I have seen several boardies buy stuff that was almost certainly a scam from the start (and turned out it was) because they figured it was worth the risk and they would get reimbursed by Paypal if it went bad.

When are people going to realize that new seller + 1/2 12 month GPA = huge likelihood of scam?

You would think it would be common sense but well...you know what they say about that. I have seen several boardies buy stuff that was almost certainly a scam from the start (and turned out it was) because they figured it was worth the risk and they would get reimbursed by Paypal if it went bad.

The issue with that is those people are enabling the scammer but I guess that's okay as long as they get their money back.

NO communication from the seller. Not an ounce. Still waiting on PP. This guy will NOT be getting off the hook here, and I will do my best to make sure he doesn't scam another boardie, or come around these parts again.

Definitely looks like a snatch and run situation. Hopefully the PayPal/Credit Card combo will ensure you get your money back. I've had 2 similar incidents. One PayPal refunded me, but the other I had to contact Amex for a "chargeback" or whatever its called.

NO communication from the seller. Not an ounce. Still waiting on PP. This guy will NOT be getting off the hook here, and I will do my best to make sure he doesn't scam another boardie, or come around these parts again.

Sounds like you have enough evidence to go to file a complaint with the police department, actually

that's straight up theft by false pretense (probably)

But, but, but............................................... I can't think straight right now.

The issue with that is those people are enabling the scammer but I guess that's okay as long as they get their money back.

Exactly! In the instance that comes to mind, I remember that being the general consensus but the buyer didn't really agree or care.

But, but, but............................................... I can't think straight right now.

I do want to say, specifically to SpideyFein, that I am very sorry that this happened. The fault is always on the scammer, but i am hopeful that it will become much harder for the f8%4ing scumbags in the future.

As a new seller I take offense to the above remark! When are people going to realize that "new sellers" are people too. New sellers came to this board just like everybody else looking for a better life. When I first came out as a "new seller", it was difficult. Some of my friends were like... what the...? Why are you selling your stuff? But I've made new friends... and they helped me realize now that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

:headbang:

As a new seller I take offense to the above remark! When are people going to realize that "new sellers" are people too. New sellers came to this board just like everybody else looking for a better life. When I first came out as a "new seller", it was difficult. Some of my friends were like... what the...? Why are you selling your stuff? But I've made new friends... and they helped me realize now that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

It's not having something to be ashamed of, it's whether or not you have an established business reputation within the forum you choose to sell. New sellers, by virtue of being new, have no established reputation for buyers to rely upon.

The "newness" makes the seller a wildcard for better or worse.

New seller + 1/2 of GPA = red_flag.gif

Established seller + 1/2 of GPA = drunk6.gif *

* Meaning he might have been drunk when he posted it with that price, but you're gonna get your book.

No different than Ebay. How many people are going to trust a new seller with very low feedback to buy an expensive book listed for half of its value without any warning bells going off. It may very well be legit, but it is something to think about.

It's not having something to be ashamed of, it's whether or not you have an established business reputation within the forum you choose to sell. New sellers, by virtue of being new, have no established reputation for buyers to rely upon.

The "newness" makes the seller a wildcard for better or worse.

New seller + 1/2 of GPA = red_flag.gif

Established seller + 1/2 of GPA = drunk6.gif *

* Meaning he might have been drunk when he posted it with that price, but you're gonna get your book.

I'd like to think of them as New Members, and not just people jumping in here with no creds, selling books right out of the gate, and then crying boo hoo when someone twists there arm a bit. When people come in here using this place like craig list, I take offense to that.

This is an established community for the most part. Alot of us know each personally through business on here and such. If you want to sell on here and be credible, establish a reputation first, and not just use this place to dump books.