• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

The name change a day after the sale doesn't help make the seller look good either.

I find that part a bit suspicious as well.

I find a name change a bit suspicious as well. Combined with PM deletion and holding on to $1250 for 10 days? A lot suspicious.

Everything about this sale is suspicious. This looks like an "I'm gonna rip you off" kinda suspicious.

I changed my name twice. To Googa then back to Pov. In both instances it was handled on the same day.

About a month or so ago I submitted a new name change request but decided it would be inappropriate so edited the request and said I had changed my mind. Got a reply acknowledging the withdrawn request from Admin the same day. Just my experiences.

Just for the record. I changed my name recently and it took 3-4 days for the admin to approve.

"I agree with you that In terms of PL nominations. If SpideyFein seeks and gets a refund it would diminish the need for putting this seller on this list UNLESS information comes to light that the book was sold to someone else for above the asking price SpideyFein agreed to pay and did indeed pay."

Suppose someone lists a book for $500. A buyer instantly jumps on it. The seller thinks, "Jeez, that was fast, let me check GPA. ... Ohmygawd, 90-day GPA is $1,500! I'm just gonna refund the buyer's money and list this book on eBay."

PL worthy? Honest question.

My thoughts are....if it's suit worthy it's certainly PL worthy.

These are binding contracts we are entering into here, between adults and all that jazz. I've under-priced items before only to discover that I messed up. A deal's a deal.

This isn't a scrivener's error where the decimal is in the wrong place or the keyboard made it a "1" instead of a "2" where corrections would be allowed given the context. If someone earnestly put a price down and someone buys it, it's a deal.

In this case, you've got a listing, a purchase, an invoice and a payment made all before the seller went silent. So it's even further down the road of a deal than your hypothesis.

Ah, OK. It seemed as if, in the quoted material above, you were indicating that in this case if the seller refunded the money, he wouldn't go on -- or, maybe, wouldn't necessarily go on -- the PL.

Curious: If the seller admitted to not knowing the market value of the book and simply asked to cancel the deal due to his error, which he now recognizes, would you guys have let him off the hook?

Curious: If the seller admitted to not knowing the market value of the book and simply asked to cancel the deal due to his error, which he now recognizes, would you guys have let him off the hook?

If asked and/or presented to me in the correct manner (Letting me know they didn't know the value but willing to honor the deal anyway) I would and have let someone off the hook before. If it was someone I know on the boards I would let them off without hesitation. I would like to think a lot of active board members would consider doing the same.