• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

When are people going to realize that new seller + 1/2 12 month GPA = huge likelihood of scam?

As a new seller I take offense to the above remark! When are people going to realize that "new sellers" are people too. New sellers came to this board just like everybody else looking for a better life. When I first came out as a "new seller", it was difficult. Some of my friends were like... what the...? Why are you selling your stuff? But I've made new friends... and they helped me realize now that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

:headbang:

It's not having something to be ashamed of, it's whether or not you have an established business reputation within the forum you choose to sell. New sellers, by virtue of being new, have no established reputation for buyers to rely upon.

The "newness" makes the seller a wildcard for better or worse.

New seller + 1/2 of GPA = red_flag.gif

Established seller + 1/2 of GPA = drunk6.gif *

* Meaning he might have been drunk when he posted it with that price, but you're gonna get your book.

Noob

When are people going to realize that new seller + 1/2 12 month GPA = huge likelihood of scam?

As a new seller I take offense to the above remark! When are people going to realize that "new sellers" are people too. New sellers came to this board just like everybody else looking for a better life. When I first came out as a "new seller", it was difficult. Some of my friends were like... what the...? Why are you selling your stuff? But I've made new friends... and they helped me realize now that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

It's not having something to be ashamed of, it's whether or not you have an established business reputation within the forum you choose to sell. New sellers, by virtue of being new, have no established reputation for buyers to rely upon.

* Meaning he might have been drunk when he posted it with that price, but you're gonna get your book.

I'd like to think of them as New Members, and not just people jumping in here with no creds, selling books right out of the gate, and then crying boo hoo when someone twists there arm a bit. When people come in here using this place like craig list, I take offense to that.

This is an established community for the most part. Alot of us know each personally through business on here and such. If you want to sell on here and be credible, establish a reputation first, and not just use this place to dump books.

Agreed. If you are selling out of the gate I don't even bother.

Edited by oakman29

I'd like to think of them as New Members, and not just people jumping in here with no creds, selling books right out of the gate, and then crying boo hoo when someone twists there arm a bit. When people come in here using this place like craig list, I take offense to that.

This is an established community for the most part. Alot of us know each personally through business on here and such. If you want to sell on here and be credible, establish a reputation first, and not just use this place to dump books.

+1

And I don't have to explain that to anybody. It's my choice. I know we all had to start somewhere on here, but most of us took the hazing and learned the ropes without belly aching.

If you see a nice book that you just have to have, and the seller is new, good luck to you. On the other hand you can ask some questions first and find out we have some reputable dealers and sellers on here that will be more than happy to find you a book your looking for. Just have some d amn patience.

You want a book and sleep at night with the buy, contact Bob Storms, Dale Roberts, Mr. Bedrock, or Greg Reece to name a few. They will be more than happy to try and find you what your looking for. That's there business and they have the customer service to back it up, and you won't be waiting in the phantom zone for communications.

+1

And I don't have to explain that to anybody. It's my choice. I know we all had to start somewhere on here, but most of us took the hazing and learned the ropes without belly aching.

If you see a nice book that you just have to have, and the seller is new, good luck to you. On the other hand you can ask some questions first and find out we have some reputable dealers and sellers on here that will be more than happy to find you a book your looking for. Just have some d amn patience.

You want a book and sleep at night with the buy, contact Bob Storms, Dale Roberts, Mr. Bedrock, or Greg Reece to name a few. They will be more than happy to try and find you what your looking for. That's there business and they have the customer service to back it up, and you won't be waiting in the phantom zone for communications.

Those guys are in my top "to buy from " list,and I've never been s crewed over ever. (shrug)

My last comment was meant to be a joke... ala Seinfeld's anti-dentite? Perhaps I should have included this reference:

The only time I lost money on a deal was when I took the advise from a schmuck at Comic Connect. On top of my loss, he had the audacity to send me a pompous note when I asked for my remaining unlisted books back. Talk about unprofessional. Although he's no longer working there... the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't been back. Otherwise, I've been fortunate in that I haven't had many serious problems (**knock on wood**)... Although, I did have request for a refund recently on eBay, my first ever.

In this particular case, I think the seller should have simply admitted he made a mistake offering the book up so cheap. The buyer would be upset but at least it would demonstrate maturity and responsibility. A few kind words could have de-escalated this whole situation.

The seller could also have some issues that we don't know about so I prefer not to bash people (and no, "schmuck" is not bashing. It means foolish and obnoxious which he was). I think it's better to simply state the case and move forward.

e (and no, "schmuck" is not bashing. It means foolish and obnoxious which he was).

Not to get off topic, but that is not generally how people who speak yiddish define schmuck.

+1

Those guys are in my top "to buy from " list,and I've never been s crewed over ever. (shrug)

On the other hand, we all know of the boardie who bought a book for 3 figures and sold it for 5; that's not gonna happen with those guys. I understand the point Dr. X makes and I think it's a good one, but when you hear one of those "too good to be true" stories was actually true; it probably tends to make people take some chances.

e (and no, "schmuck" is not bashing. It means foolish and obnoxious which he was).

Not to get off topic, but that is not generally how people who speak yiddish define schmuck.

It's a bastardized term. Kind of like how Chinese people don't actually eat sweet and sour chicken balls.

It's a bastardized term. Kind of like how Chinese people don't actually eat sweet and sour chicken balls.

If it was used in my house you got slapped.

If it was used in my house you got slapped.

Same with Chicken Balls, if you brought those to my house you'd get slapped up side the head.

I don't speak Yiddish, but I grew up in NY, and the way it's described here, is the way it was used. Feel free to ask Seinfeld;)

http://www.sbjf.org/sbjco/schmaltz/yiddish_phrases.htm

thats-racist.jpg

I don't speak Yiddish, but I grew up in NY, and the way it's described here, is the way it was used. Feel free to ask Seinfeld;)

As a Jew who grew up in NY and who speaks Yiddish I can 100% back Sharron's definition.

As a Jew who grew up in NY and who speaks Yiddish I can 100% back Sharron's definition.

I'm not Jewish and I did not grow up in New York, but I'm still a schmuck! :cry: