• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Just for my own clarification, does inclusion in the HOS mean the member is banned from the boards? Or does it just prevent the shamed member from buying and selling on the sales threads?

Actually none of the above. He can still be an active member, which may one day help him get removed from the HOS list.

It also doesn't prevent him from selling or buying if people want to transact with him. Just serves as a warning.

How does it serve as a warning? Is their name marked with some form of scarlet letter? Or is it up to individual members to visit the Hall of Shame and know who the bad boardies are?

It's up to individual members to check things out. I don't think "we" are allowed to jump into a sales thread and comment that "Hey! Head's up...this guy is on the PL/HOS".

Just for my own clarification, does inclusion in the HOS mean the member is banned from the boards? Or does it just prevent the shamed member from buying and selling on the sales threads?

Actually none of the above. He can still be an active member, which may one day help him get removed from the HOS list.

It also doesn't prevent him from selling or buying if people want to transact with him. Just serves as a warning.

How does it serve as a warning? Is their name marked with some form of scarlet letter? Or is it up to individual members to visit the Hall of Shame and know who the bad boardies are?

It's up to individual members to check things out. I don't think "we" are allowed to jump into a sales thread and comment that "Hey! Head's up...this guy is on the PL/HOS".

I'm not 100% certain but I think we are allowed to do that, if it is made as a simple statement of fact, and it has been done, at least for PL cases.

I'm not 100% certain but I think we are allowed to do that, if it is made as a simple statement of fact, and it has been done, at least for PL cases.

I can dig it up but Arch is cool with it as long as it is a single instance and not a pile on. I.e. if Chip starts a sales thread and someone sees it and says, "hey, just a heads up but the OP is in the HoS, here is the link to why he was added (link)." That would be fine. Someone else can post the fabulous Posters Dr. Balls made a few years back for this instance.

Why not? (shrug)

Why not? (shrug)

I figured it would be seen as possible threakrapping. Based on the response of others, I was mistaken. It appears it is allowed.

Why not? (shrug)

I figured it would be seen as possible threakrapping. Based on the response of others, I was mistaken. It appears it is allowed.

Its likely all about presentation. So "FYI this POS is on the HOS and probably should be in Jail" would probably be threadkrapping. lol

Why not? (shrug)

Seems it's allowed by members who exhibit tact. I clearly will not be posting said message ?

Why not? (shrug)

Its likely all about presentation. So "FYI this POS is on the HOS and probably should be in Jail" would probably be threadkrapping. lol

lol

Why not? (shrug)

Seems it's allowed by members who exhibit tact. I clearly will not be posting said message ?

lol Clearly.

(See Crassus post above)

No HOS member here will be able to start a FS thread without someone posting his status in his thread.

And I can imagine a HOS member could start a sales thread, respond politely to HOS status posts in the thread, promise to do better and work to rehabilitate their reputation. Some people would likely give a HOS member a second chance.

No HOS member here will be able to start a FS thread without someone posting his status in his thread.

And I can imagine a HOS member could start a sales thread, respond politely to HOS status posts in the thread, promise to do better and work to rehabilitate their reputation. Some people would likely give a HOS member a second chance.

The probability of second, third or fourth chances given to HOS members, for some people, is directly proportional to the heft and girth of the aforementioned HOS member's Kewl Books™.

So you're right, or we could just quote P.T. Barnum instead. lol

Yep, that is true. Some HOS members could most likely rehabilitate their reputation over time though very few try. A lot would depend on the seriousness of their offense to begin with. Others will sell anyway and not care what people think because of the cool book rule. People will throw money at them anyway and say PayPal will take care of it if they don't send it.

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, and don't remember a reply, but does Chip still hold any of your inventory?

Sorry, I missed it.

He holds a few books of mine but nothing of any real value. A few returns from all the books he's auctioned for me. He's been waiting on me to give him a shipping address to return them to me since last summer.

I'd forgotten about them until I spoke to him earlier this week when the thread got rolling about him and he's still waiting on a shipping address for me.

@ joeypost and comicdonna - Can I ask why it's relevant?

Of course he does. My point about wishing mental illness hadn't been brought up is that I hate discussing the mental state of someone when we don't know. It just feels wrong somehow. I agree that if he has/had an issue, one would have to factor that into their thoughts on him and his behavior.

I hate discussing it too as it's a very gray and unsettling topic.

If Chip is not mentally well that will come out.

If I'm wrong that will come out too.

The point is not to be right or wrong, though. It's to do the best we can.

After all these pages, this post made my day. (thumbs u

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, and don't remember a reply, but does Chip still hold any of your inventory?

Good question. If he does Vintage should denote that on any books in future sales threads.

Folks should know that buying from Vintage might mean getting a book shipped(or not) by Chip.

2c

doh!

The only books Chip shipped for me were the ones he auctioned on eBay for me. The only 1 single exception was the one book that was returned and shipped to sacentaur. Other than that, Chip doesn't ship for me.

I actually resent that sort of talk as except for a few books that were shipped slowly by me over the last 13 years because real life gets in the way and the 1 incident with Chip nobody has ever had an issue with me.

I never nominated him for the PL because it seemed a moot point with his disappearance, but if he were to return to run sales threads again, I would definitely bring it up and do so.

this made me think - not sure if this has been brought up in the past - statute of limitations on PL inclusion? that is, shouldn't rule 2(a) be amended to include a time limit? one month etc as a max?

Currently:

2) Notification on the Probation Discussion Thread

a) After the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

Proposed?

a) Within one month after the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

I never nominated him for the PL because it seemed a moot point with his disappearance, but if he were to return to run sales threads again, I would definitely bring it up and do so.

this made me think - not sure if this has been brought up in the past - stature of limitations on PL inclusion? that is, shouldn't rule 2(a) be amended to include a time limit? one month etc as a max?

Currently:

a) After the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

Proposed?

a) Within one month after the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

This has been discussed, if I remember correctly it got tangled up in, or came out of, the debate on return policies. As I remember there was no consensus.