• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Here's the sales thread.

I was too late on the JIM 83 back in December, but later saw that he bumped his sales post so I thought the book hadn't sold. I sent him a PM on 3/27 asking if he still had it. He responded on 4/8. He apologized for the late reply, said he just got back from Vegas. And I bought the book on 4/11.

:tonofbricks:

He said he was sending the book the next day. Aaaannnnnd...I have not heard from him since.

Super key sale from boardie with under 100 posts? (shrug)

Yet again, it would be wise to require members to belong to the boards for a fixed period of time and make a certain number of posts before allowed to sell, or to post a warning in a seller's thread if he doesn't meet those requirements.

something like:

'Note, this seller has not met the suggested guidelines of 500 posts and a 1 year membership on the boards. New sellers are welcome additions to the community but there does seem to be a higher incidence of problems involving sellers who haven't met the suggest guidelines. Please pay for purchases using a method that provides buyer protection and avoid using Paypal personal, Western Union, money orders or checks.'

Super key sale from boardie with under 100 posts? (shrug)

At the time he had positive feedback from five reputable boardies. Not a ton, but he had obviously done some legit sales.

Yeah. He had been around nine months, had some (although not a lot) of substantive posts in a variety of threads, had completed some sales. I might well have bought from him if he had been selling something that interested me.

Paying through WU, as the other buyer did, would have been a red flag to me, though.

In hindsight I was stupid not to question the others who have purchased from him if he did have PayPal or not.

As I saw he had a very positive kudos thread, I felt like I could trust him. I have used WU before on this board when dealing with keys and all were perfect.

In summary, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

All kudos threads are positive.

Could be classic eBay type comic scammer.

Sell $20-$50 comics/collectibles.

Build up 10-20 positive feedback (nothing to lose).

Then unleash the $1000 book and sell it to 2, 3, or 4 people and walk away with the evil smile on your face.

In hindsight I was stupid not to question the others who have purchased from him if he did have PayPal or not.

As I saw he had a very positive kudos thread, I felt like I could trust him. I have used WU before on this board when dealing with keys and all were perfect.

No, you were just taken advantage of, he's the bad guy.

That's what scammers do, they build your confidence. I got stuck once long ago with some fake glass on eBay. I had bought several things from this person that were fine. He was posing as a woman, but it was a man from California. In any case, many of us filed complaints and he was arrested and had to pay a $25k fine, no jail time though.

There were about 100 eBay buyers involved and since at that time we had access to screen names, we had a group email going for about a year.

This was one of the places we reported the scam. http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

If BluHawaii is in Hawaii, I think he can file the complaint for both of you. It certainly can't hurt.

All kudos threads are positive.

I'm going to take a big dookie right in yours and make you take your statement back.

:cloud9:

I'm sorry for your problems here. It sucks when you trust someone and they :censored: you. Iit's tempting to use a money order or other payment without buyer protection to save the seller money but it's dangerous. I was burned after paying via personal paypal and will never use that method again.