• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2023 at 9:09 AM, AJLewandoski said:
On 9/8/2023 at 8:54 AM, littledoom said:

Did you buy it?

I did not, I thought everyone here would like to see it though

Would be curious to know the price and or location city or state 😂 but strikes me as more of a TV show pickers kind of thing!

Meaning I might have passed as well. :cheers:

On 9/8/2023 at 7:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Something just doesn’t seem right about it. I have never seen or heard of it. Been collecting comics and advertising for a very long time. First of all, it is porcelain. This wouldn’t be used inside a store for a short promotion. A sign like this material would be used outside for a more permanent display. Second, there is no National Periodicals or DC markings. It just doesn’t look like DC art as well.

My guess is it is a fantasy item made to look “aged” for collectors. Still cool for the right price if you like it for display. 

There are similar porcelain Kellogs/Batman promos on eBay. They claim to be vintage but I'm dubious. The artwork comes from various eras. They are nice looking but expensive.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Something just doesn’t seem right about it. I have never seen or heard of it. Been collecting comics and advertising for a very long time. First of all, it is porcelain. This wouldn’t be used inside a store for a short promotion. A sign like this material would be used outside for a more permanent display. Second, there is no National Periodicals or DC markings. It just doesn’t look like DC art as well.

My guess is it is a fantasy item made to look “aged” for collectors. Still cool for the right price if you like it for display. 

Ditto. It’s a “fantasy” item: a polite term for fake. 

On 9/8/2023 at 7:49 AM, Robot Man said:

I concur 100%

On 9/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Fair assessment, and exactly why I posted it here. Too many fake signs out in the world and I knew someone knowledgeable would call it out if it was.

Yeah, I have never seen one like it, and research lead to zip. Cool looking, it's the sort of thing I might pick up for $15 at Hobby Lobby, but definitely dubious of any actual vintage provenance. 

Yeah, I have never seen one like it, and research lead to zip. Cool looking, it's the sort of thing I might pick up for $15 at Hobby Lobby, but definitely dubious of any actual vintage provenance. 

On 9/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, F For Fake said:

Was able to get out and dig for the first time in a long time, this morning. Just have not had the time this summer, lots going on. Went to one of my favorite spots, and immediately scored this Marvel Comic Book Collecting box. I have been looking for this thing for many, many years. I think another one popped up in this thread not too terribly long ago, but I'm too lazy to scroll back and check. This thing came with a comic collecting kit, that included this box, a poster, some comics, a little price guide, and bags and boards, i believe. You can find the poster relatively easily if you're willing to pay for it, but the box is pretty elusive. There's a green one, and the red one, and the red one was what I had. Had to have it, really made my day.

Also picked up a couple of Spidey pinbacks in nice shape, and oddly enough, a model and toy mag I'd been looking for, for my Alien collection. I'd been planning on grabbing one of these some day, they're not valuable, but I was not at all prepared to stumble across a lovely copy at a garage sale. So now it's mine!

Didn't pick up many comics, but I did liberate this smut for a few bucks. I'm not a big Tim Vigil guy, but $2 for that Grips Special felt like a no brainer. 

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4983(1).JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

That box is such a nostalgia trip.  Christmas 92 from the jc penny catalog.   Wish I had kept the box and price guide, still have the poster somewhere 😕