• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

*bookmarks thread for the next time Chip cries poverty* :baiting:

I wish I knew where I cried "poverty" at any point on these boards. My family is not where we want to be, but I work hard and put food on the table. Period. We're not on the street.

It's not like this stuff is going into my collection. It's all stuff for resale. All of it.

Peace,

Chip

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but I went to a garage sale and a collectibles store that advertises on Craigslist from time to time. Between the two places I bought 285 comics all at 50 cents each. Nothing major but some very nice books, a lot of #1 issues and some very eclectic #1 comics that I had never seen before. I even picked up the ever famous Babes of Baywatch #1 with the fantastic art on the cover. :roflmao:

First 6 months of this year were purely amazing for me.

Last few months, beyond awful. DBs ditching out, finding trash, scam artists, etc.

Just shows you need to put in the work to find the stuff. And even then, it ends up in nothing most of the time.

Patrick

So here in the Dallas / Ft Worth are, besides being home to the first case of Ebola, we have a chain of stores called Half Price Books. And as you might guess, you can buy used books for half the cover price. Sometimes even less than that. Well these stores also happen to have a section for comic books. Now understand that they don't concern themselves on keep these books in safe condition. And each store keeps their more expensive (usually gold or silver age titles) and explicit books either in a lockbox that you can thrumb though the top or in a box behind the main counter.

I tend to visit the shops within a certain distance about once a month or so, just to see what they have come in. They put out new stuff actually on a daily basis. So today I ventured out to one of the shops in Plano that I hadn't been to in quite a while.

And here is what I got today. Be sure to check the receipt :)

20141003_132439.jpg

20141003_132451.jpg

20141003_132329.jpg

20141003_132335.jpg

That's right folks. I actually bought Walking Dead 19 for $1.48 plus tax :)

I'll give you full cover for that one!

Here are some of the highlights from what I got today.

15409268016_5d0fc2873c_o.jpg

15245568049_12f28381c9_o.jpg

15431986522_2a394dd768_o.jpg

15245627600_03272474e7_o.jpg

15245566569_286ed09918_o.jpg

I might make one more trip back...there are a few more Silver Age books to get and a bunch of Gold Key cartoon books. He's gone all next week so I can rest for a bit. :)

Peace,

Chip

Man, I wish I could afford stuff like this! :)

May not be as exciting as some of these stories....Just got back from a recent excursion to Paris (took part at the Paris Motor Show :devil: ).

I have always mentioned to myself if I ever got a chance to be in Paris, there is only one thing I would look for. My schedule allowed some free time but I didn't really actively search for a bookstore as my overall time was limited and my initial pre-store research didn't turn up anything worth checking out. But as I was taking reference shots for my wife, I noticed a nice cul-de-sac behind me with what looked like an interesting shop. As I got closer, I noticed it was a French antique magazine shop! Jackpot!

The place reeked of cigarette smoke and looked dustier than hell but it is exactly what I was looking for. As the owner and I chatted, I had a mental brain fart and stupidly forgot the exact magazine issue I wanted but I had a general idea. Fortunately the shop had the magazine and issues in the year I was looking for! I was able to find 3 dates that seemed great candidates (lack of internet on my smartphone prevented me from zeroing in). For the three issues, he sold them to me for a total of 15 Euros. I bought them and went out for dinner. I was able to get a good internet connection and see if one of the issues I got was the right one. Excitedly I was fortunate enough to hit the nail on the head....

Spirou October 23, 1958! First appearance of the Smurfs - French edition and it was in great shape! The other two issues were the 3rd and 5th appearances although the 5th appearance was a bust as a page near the end was torn out....

Made the whole trip worth the effort! :banana:

May not be as exciting as some of these stories....Just got back from a recent excursion to Paris (took part at the Paris Motor Show :devil: ).

I have always mentioned to myself if I ever got a chance to be in Paris, there is only one thing I would look for. My schedule allowed some free time but I didn't really actively search for a bookstore as my overall time was limited and my initial pre-store research didn't turn up anything worth checking out. But as I was taking reference shots for my wife, I noticed a nice cul-de-sac behind me with what looked like an interesting shop. As I got closer, I noticed it was a French antique magazine shop! Jackpot!

The place reeked of cigarette smoke and looked dustier than hell but it is exactly what I was looking for. As the owner and I chatted, I had a mental brain fart and stupidly forgot the exact magazine issue I wanted but I had a general idea. Fortunately the shop had the magazine and issues in the year I was looking for! I was able to find 3 dates that seemed great candidates (lack of internet on my smartphone prevented me from zeroing in). For the three issues, he sold them to me for a total of 15 Euros. I bought them and went out for dinner. I was able to get a good internet connection and see if one of the issues I got was the right one. Excitedly I was fortunate enough to hit the nail on the head....

Spirou October 23, 1958! First appearance of the Smurfs - French edition and it was in great shape! The other two issues were the 3rd and 5th appearances although the 5th appearance was a bust as a page near the end was torn out....

What a great story! Kick myself for not picking up comics while visiting other countries. Plus... Paris rocks!

Couldn't you have just asked him for the first appearance of the Smurfs, or were you concerned he'd jack the price up on you?

Couldn't you have just asked him for the first appearance of the Smurfs, or were you concerned he'd jack the price up on you?

Of course I don't want to draw attention to what this issue means to me. This wasn't a private collector but a business who has their set prices.

Next time I'll announce to all store owners I really, really want a particular issue with the very important key significance.....do you have that and how much is it?

Of course I don't want to draw attention to what this issue means to me. This wasn't a private collector but a business who has their set prices.

Next time I'll announce to all store owners I really, really want a particular issue with the very important key significance.....do you have that and how much is it?

What does the issue mean to you, when you can't even remember the title? (shrug)

Here's my haul from the local public library book sale this morning -- nothing earth-shaking, but not bad, I guess, for a few bucks:

book-sale-10-10-14.jpg

NC Wyeth :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u