• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

Here's the box. What did I find in it?

Box.jpg

ASM #1? A double cover comic? 50 copies of X-Force #1?

I bought all of the Marvel and DCs from this box. About 72 books total. Here are some highlights.

IMAG0710.jpg

Holy Stromboli Batman! Great find! (worship)

I was in his kitchen drooling on them a day and a half ago.

Dang the JLA 1 paid for the whole lot and more. 3.5 for sure after press, shot at 4.0.

^^

$4 a book... that estate sale paid off. :headbang:

Very Very Cool!

Had some Lois Lanes in the 20s that were nice mid grade, and a bunch of nicer mid grade Adam Strange too.

1977 and there are no split corners. I could not get my dollar out quick enough.

what sort of price do you think this will get? i have no idea, but $20-50 sounds possible.

I'd be happy with $50 for this and cheerfully ship at no addl charge.

Went to a local show today and thought that for once I managed to keep the spending well below average. Then I ran into a dealer with a very complete set of Cry for Dawn books and the rest is history.

Aside from a few $0.50-1.00 books the rest of today's haul is in these pictures:

juneclift002.jpg

juneclift003.jpg

Flea market find

Hulk_181.jpg

Well yesterday wrapped-up this years haul from the annual 4-day flea market. Thursday was the best day with the Hulk 181. There were a bunch of great things like a vintage upright gumball machine (about 5 ft with no key), an early copper fire extinguisher, a few old tin/friction toys. I passed on pretty much all of it - and the insane thing is that every time I passed on something, there was someone waiting right behind me to take it.

A fight almost broke out with the Hulk 181. Here's how it went. I happened to pass by a vendors table and noticed a few comics lying atop an old wooden chest. The guy was still setting-up so I leaned over the table and asked if he had any other comics. He replied that he had a few "old" comics in his trailer and the hadn't gotten around to taking them out yet.

When he comes out of the trailer, he had a short pile of about 80 comics. I start flipping through them and find the Hulk 181. I explain to the person that its a valuable book, go through it, assess the condition and make an offer. He took a bit of time to think the offer over, but he eventually accepted it.

During the whole time I got the sense that someone was peering over my shoulder, but wasn't sure if he was interested in the books or something else at the table, and to not interrupt the conversation I was having with the seller I ignored it. So after doing the deal on the Hulk 181, I was talking to him about an old vintage Coke sled and out of nowhere this guy asks "is that book for sale?'

I quickly reply "I'm taking it" and continue on with my conversation. The seller runs into the trailer to get something and comes out a few minutes later. Not content with my response, the same guy asks the seller "is that book is for sale?" I tell him a second time "I'm taking the comic." The seller then tells the guy what I paid and the guy quickly replies I'll offer more.

If the gimp wasn't with his kid, I would have jumped over the table and told him, maybe even Get Shorty twice told.

We bag on sellers a lot on these boards, but I had to share this story because this seller had the integrity to tell the guy a deal was done instead of opening up the deal to accept a higher offer. After I left, I quickly took a peek behind me and saw the same guy running from the table next door to see if there were any other books in his pile.

Flea market find

Hulk_181.jpg

Well yesterday wrapped-up this years haul from the annual 4-day flea market. Thursday was the best day with the Hulk 181. There were a bunch of great things like a vintage upright gumball machine (about 5 ft with no key), an early copper fire extinguisher, a few old tin/friction toys. I passed on pretty much all of it - and the insane thing is that every time I passed on something, there was someone waiting right behind me to take it.

A fight almost broke out with the Hulk 181. Here's how it went. I happened to pass by a vendors table and noticed a few comics lying atop an old wooden chest. The guy was still setting-up so I leaned over the table and asked if he had any other comics. He replied that he had a few "old" comics in his trailer and the hadn't gotten around to taking them out yet.

When he comes out of the trailer, he had a short pile of about 80 comics. I start flipping through them and find the Hulk 181. I explain to the person that its a valuable book, go through it, assess the condition and make an offer. He took a bit of time to think the offer over, but he eventually accepted it.

During the whole time I got the sense that someone was peering over my shoulder, but wasn't sure if he was interested in the books or something else at the table, and to not interrupt the conversation I was having with the seller I ignored it. So after doing the deal on the Hulk 181, I was talking to him about an old vintage Coke sled and out of nowhere this guy asks "is that book for sale?'

I quickly reply "I'm taking it" and continue on with my conversation. The seller runs into the trailer to get something and comes out a few minutes later. Not content with my response, the same guy asks the seller "is that book is for sale?" I tell him a second time "I'm taking the comic." The seller then tells the guy what I paid and the guy quickly replies I'll offer more.

If the gimp wasn't with his kid, I would have jumped over the table and told him, maybe even Get Shorty twice told.

We bag on sellers a lot on these boards, but I had to share this story because this seller had the integrity to tell the guy a deal was done instead of opening up the deal to accept a higher offer. After I left, I quickly took a peek behind me and saw the same guy running from the table next door to see if there were any other books in his pile.

That was an awesome find! It is unfortunate, but here in PA, I witness several fights a month at flea markets. Keep in mind that I am up really early and generally one of the first to arrive at various flea markets that I 'pick.' 'Newbies' or 'arm chair experts'; as we call them, thanks in part to all the reality collecting shows, will follow you, harass you, and attempt to buy an item for $5 more than what you paid because they assume you are still 'making money.' While I do not know if anyone has any similar stories to tell, I can tell you that the second hand market has gotten more than a little out of hand. This is one reason why I specifically don't look for comic books. I remember one weekend at 5 AM a seller was putting out several long boxes of comic books. I started looking through one box and immediately another 'picker' comes right up beside me and blocks three boxes and starts to look through three at a time. He then lights a cigarette and blows smoke in my face. Luckily, before I had a chance to act, the seller asked him to 'show some respect to the other buyers.' He walked away upset. These are not uncommon experiences. What I tell 'newbies' is to show respect, but at the same time if you see something you like make an offer. Just because you have it in your hand does not mean it was sold. When in doubt use the $5 rule. Any item under $5 that you think might be worth taking a chance on usually is! After all, the most you can be out is $5 and you can make that back in a heartbeat if you are any good at 'picking.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Nice find, ComicWiz!

How early do you guys arrive? Let's say setup starts at 6am and gates are supposed to open at 9am.

Any flea market/garage sale regrets? Yesterday I passed up on this: nintendo-super-mario-zelda-storage-chest.jpg for pretty cheap. Not some super valuable rarity, but pretty cool. To be fair had the kids in tow and they were tired and starting to go crazy. Still..

I arrive at 5AM for a 7 AM flea market. Always two hours early is my rule. By the time my competition arrives I usually already have the good stuff. Of course other experienced 'pickers' do this to. The trick is knowing when to leave to go to the next one, or when to stay to get access to the late sellers. It is more of an art than a science and it comes with experience.

'mint'

I went to a local flea market yesterday (the same one where I found the old grey tone Our Army at Wars, the Green Lantern #1 and the 6 old Showcases last month). Yesterday's finds were mild compared to last month but still not too bad. My brother and I went down the 1st aisle (one big indoor building) and I found an ASM #18 and #32 that I got for a good price. They're currently for sale in my VCC booth.

AmazingSpider-Man18GD-VG1stNedLeeds.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man32VG.jpg

But the best find of the day I didn't really know about until I got home. Another vendor in the last aisle had a few comics and magazines and I saw a Nexus magazine #1 in there. I thought I remembered someone on the boards here looking for one of these so I grabbed it along with a Hook magazine #1 by Marvel.

I didn't realize until after I got home that I might have something special. When I opened the Nexus #1 up, there were 3 signatures at the bottom of the inside front cover along with a "324/500". After contacting a board member and looking it up in Overstreet, that's when I realized I had just purchased a Limited Edition Nexus #1 signed by Mike Baron, Steve Rude and Paul Gulacy. It also came with a separate pencil sketch by Steve Rude. The best part of all? I paid a buck for it. :banana:

Nexus1VF-NM3signatures.jpg

Nexus1VF-NMinsideoffrontcoversignedandnumbered.jpg

Nexus1VF-NMpaperboardpencilsketchbySteveRude.jpg

I gotta hit flea markets more often!

Garage Sale score today. Got the NES and the games for $10 and the GameBoy handhelds and games for $5. Last week was the first week I sold vintage consoles and games at my flea market booth and it went really well so this should be a pretty good flip even without the door on the NES.

NES.jpg

th_GB.jpg th_GBgames.jpg