• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

Picked up a lot of Megos a while back. Mostly the EMCE remakes of the DC and Star Trek lines. There were a couple originals and a couple I am not sure about. I've gone to Mego Museum, but it's hard for me to differentiate between the minor variations in models and look for repro parts.

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9134.jpg

These two are both marked '74, but the plastic is stamped www.castawaytoys.com. The bubble is new and I'm guessing the card was reproduced. Re-packaging an original (w/ repo parts?) by the company?

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

The issue of cardback and blisters reproduction kits is a very hot button topic in the vintage toy community. The less frowned upon customs and reproductions are those which are marked and/or produced in a way where it would be impossible for someone to confuse it as an original. Unfortunately, the tendency is for these items to fool some unsuspecting buyer down the ownership line or when changing hands.

I remember answering an ad for a 21 Back Boba Fett about a year ago. Something just didn't look right from the pictures. I contacted the seller and asked him to take some close-up pictures of the front and back of the card. When I saw the pictures, I quickly new they were reproduction. I remember the guy putting up a bit of resistence of my assessment. I then asked him to read the year of manufacturing on the card, and he quickly replied 1979.

I then directed him to a part on the card where the person creating the reproduction work included their email and website. I asked him if he knew emails and the Internet to have been around in 1979. He got quiet real fast - and then a few seconds later he admitted I was right. He never updated his ad with the information and still advertised it as an original. :facepalm:

In any case, the accessories on the Mego's you bought look to have also been reproduced. That said, they do make for great displaying.

Going to take some research to figure out what is legitimate and what is repro. I intend to keep some and don't care for my own purposes but want to accurately detail them when I post them for sale.

I am into the lot for cheap and even repro items won't hurt me any

A shame about the fett. There are no shortcuts. Sell what you have not what you wish you had...

Paid 40. There were those few plus a bunch of the emce versions. 12 dc or so and 8-10 star trek and an ape.

I sold 2 and covered the lot so no big deal.

Hulk really should be naked. How can banners pants stay on anyway?