• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,850 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Namtak said:

This time i was the one selling at flea market.i had a comic bin,i said depending on the books its 1 to 5 dollar a book,me and my big mouth should have said mostly 1 to 5 dollars ha......lost a mid grade marvel darkhawk 1:facepalm:for 5 bucks...i said it i did hold my promise but it does hurt a bit a Sting really lol c'est la vie lol not much comic fan in my town tho weird had good key none sold exept that darkhawk first thing that left the comic bin lol

I hate when a seller says $1-$5. per book. You just know everyone you pick out will be $5. :whistle:

If there is nothing I can’t live without, I’ll ask the seller which ones are $1.? Usually annoys them.

You are just better off putting a price sticker (under a small piece of tape) on them. 

I prefer just the single price per book. You know right away what you want to buy. And the fact the seller probably has no idea what they have. 

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I hate when a seller says $1-$5. per book. You just know everyone you pick out will be $5. :whistle:

If there is nothing I can’t live without, I’ll ask the seller which ones are $1.? Usually annoys them.

You are just better off putting a price sticker (under a small piece of tape) on them. 

I prefer just the single price per book. You know right away what you want to buy. And the fact the seller probably has no idea what they have. 

Funny thing is most were 2 bucks comics and the true believers 1 buck even the punisher 1st app reprint

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

One time I spent maybe 45 minutes going through several long boxes of books at a LCS, each box was well marked as "$1 each" on all sides of the boxes. I brought about 20-25 pretty decent flipable books up to the counter and the guy gets on the phone with the owner and starts reading off each title and issue number to the owner who then gave a rather inflated price for the book one by one. About 3 books in I said "The signs say a dollar each" and the guy says, "The owner wants to know what they are". I said well he can have them and walked out. I wish I would have randomly stuffed them all back into the boxes before I left. 

33 minutes ago, jcjames said:

One time I spent maybe 45 minutes going through several long boxes of books at a LCS, each box was well marked as "$1 each" on all sides of the boxes. I brought about 20-25 pretty decent flipable books up to the counter and the guy gets on the phone with the owner and starts reading off each title and issue number to the owner who then gave a rather inflated price for the book one by one. About 3 books in I said "The signs say a dollar each" and the guy says, "The owner wants to know what they are". I said well he can have them and walked out. I wish I would have randomly stuffed them all back into the boxes before I left. 

That really suks. Not much you can do about it unfortunately. About all you can do is what you did. I would also let them know you will leave a proper Yelp review and let every collector you know how they do business. 

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

I think changing the prices in some states is actually against the law.. I could be wrong but I think I may actually be right on this 

12 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I think changing the prices in some states is actually against the law.. I could be wrong but I think I may actually be right on this 

Glad to see people posting about this.  Makes me wonder if there should be a thread concerning a list of offending stores. 

Happened to me recently.  Books were priced at $15 (recently priced too), guy changes them to $85 at the register. 

Never going back again.  He's a real piece of garbage. 

Patrick

4 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Glad to see people posting about this.  Makes me wonder if there should be a thread concerning a list of offending stores. 

Happened to me recently.  Books were priced at $15 (recently priced too), guy changes them to $85 at the register. 

Patrick

those stores don't last long.. a lot of those stores I've been to that do that have gone out of business. I'm never a fan of shops who police merchandise

7 hours ago, Namtak said:

Met à wood carver did good work on many thing but those child walk-a-bird wood toy with thin leather was really slick.could not resist lol we dont see that kind of piece often well not me what do you think?

20210613_173549.jpg

20210613_173543.jpg

MattTheDuck approves of your post or comment.

22 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

I walk away from booths like that.  If you don't know what you have and don't have prices, I am not supporting your amateur hour.

Sad thing is I have seen this at shows.  I can understand a book or two that slipped by the grading and pricing.  But if your business model to look up each book on ebay and overstreet to see what the going rate is and make your customer stand around as you go through that process, myself and my friends can and will shop elsewhere. 

We've seen this at major shows which is sad.

Like I said, I perfectly understand if it is a few books here and there.  However, if we are talking about every book, then I urge customers to shop elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I walk away from booths like that.  If you don't know what you have and don't have prices, I am not supporting your amateur hour.

Sad thing is I have seen this at shows.  I can understand a book or two that slipped by the grading and pricing.  But if your business model to look up each book on ebay and overstreet to see what the going rate is and make your customer stand around as you go through that process, myself and my friends can and will shop elsewhere. 

Like I said, I perfectly understand if it is a few books here and there.  However, if we are talking about every book, then I urge customers to shop elsewhere. 

I'm not a fan of ppl who write the prices on the books or put price stickers on the cover

1 minute ago, mrwoogieman said:

I always ask about pricing before I start shopping. If the answer is “it depends” or something similar I don’t bother. 

Well i said mostly one or 2 bucks and max up to 5 bucks.some books i paid 8 bucks back when but cant keep everything lol need space,clients were more satisfied than me lol

10 hours ago, jcjames said:

Next time you go there, grab something really expensive to buy, but before you do say you need to use the washroom or you're gonna explode!  Then leave the biggest mess in the world there, don't flush and then leave a Yelp review commenting on their unsanitary washroom.  lol 

27 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

I always ask about pricing before I start shopping. If the answer is “it depends” or something similar I don’t bother. 

Had a Milestone asm 129 nm- minimum let it go for 4 bucks the guy was happy

Edited by Namtak

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The policy should be,you put it in the bin,you honnor your promise and let it go to the price of the bin,people will remember you and will want to do business with you again just because you are a man of your word even if it pains you.my 2c

27 minutes ago, Namtak said:

The policy should be,you put it in the bin,you honnor your promise and let it go to the price of the bin,people will remember you and will want to do business with you again just because you are a man of your word even if it pains you.my 2c

If someone has bins that they say are $1-5 depending, I will only pull books that I'm willing to spend $5 on. If some are less than $5 that's nice, but I end up leaving a lot behind that I might have bought for $1-2.

1 hour ago, mrwoogieman said:

If someone has bins that they say are $1-5 depending, I will only pull books that I'm willing to spend $5 on. If some are less than $5 that's nice, but I end up leaving a lot behind that I might have bought for $1-2.

You know thats an interesting conversation,flea market is fun because many factors play in the final outcome.you can always ask for a lesser price.i remember once a seller i do business regularly with,a buyer ask for a réduction on the price of an item and the answer was no,i was passing by and asked for 10 bucks less than the one that wanted it.the seller smiled and said i dont know him but i know you and said yes!the other one was mad.thats flea market written all over it.never be shy to ask for what price you want for it without being impolite,being polite and greatfull is the key.my 2c.i love flea markets!

There are some culture where if you dont argue the price it insults them and thats a fact!where i am we dont necessarely like it when people ask for less but when done with respect of the seller can reward you a little ,patience is key

Edited by Namtak

5 hours ago, Namtak said:

I encountered a store at one point that tried to end-run this idea, in that they had no marked prices on their books (other than new stock). You brought books you wanted to buy to the counter, and they determined what they cost that day.

I bought nothing from them, and judging by how quickly they ceased to be a going operation, neither did anyone else.

8 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I encountered a store at one point that tried to end-run this idea, in that they had no marked prices on their books (other than new stock). You brought books you wanted to buy to the counter, and they determined what they cost that day.

I bought nothing from them, and judging by how quickly they ceased to be a going operation, neither did anyone else.

Yup can see why,would have done the same,just walk right for the door and let them search the price of the day on their own time