• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Interesting... so you just browse the store and hope to find comics?

I just enjoy browsing and asking info on any antique for future référence,if you go in looking for one thing in specific you will miss all the fun and more often than none will get out of there infurited with nothing . At least i learn and a fun its always a positive thing plus you get known and sometime they show you stuff not yet for sell,for the public yet i buy that way too lol

2 minutes ago, Namtak said:

I just enjoy browsing and asking info on any antique for future référence,if you go in looking for one thing in specific you will miss all the fun and more often than none will get out of there infurited with nothing . At least i learn and a fun its always a positive thing plus you get known and sometime they show you stuff not yet for sell,for the public yet i buy that way too lol

Interesting,  I never have luck in the antique store but I'll try your method next time lol

7 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Interesting,  I never have luck in the antique store but I'll try your method next time lol

Ho and always follow the dust ,in an squeaky clean antique mall or pawn shop or else,always follow the dust the there are the more you may be on the right track ,even if it goes behind the counter and into storage room sometime the owner is more than happy to le you browse there too lol

4 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Ho and always follow the dust ,in an squeaky clean antique mall or pawn shop or else,always follow the dust the there are the more you may be on the right track ,even if it goes behind the counter and into storage room sometime the owner is more than happy to le you browse there too lol

So pretty much you just become friends with the owner and try to find Comics that may not be readily available for the public

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

So pretty much you just become friends with the owner and try to find Comics that may not be readily available for the public

Yes, definitely. Be fair on your offers and you can get shop owners as well as estate sale organizations to offer you first right of refusal when new stuff comes in. 

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Im not speaking only of comics,i never get friendly,i am curious , i dont make jokes i dont want to know anyting about the seller.i inquire a lot.keep in mind that for selling new stuff they often put old stuff in back storage.rotation of merchandise is key for those places.thats the way it is.so inquirering like that helps them too in a way!

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yes, definitely. Be fair on your offers and you can get shop owners as well as estate sale organizations to offer you first right of refusal when new stuff comes in. 

That works too

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

Went to an estate sale. Left with these. $3 each. Finding an original almost sealed 1976 Farrah Fawcett poster for 50 cents on the second day was extremely fulfilling! I also posted some GI Joe Joe Kubert Sgt Rock figures in the Plastic Crack thread 

A2BDFD5E-2F77-4CFD-853A-CC601B1A458D.thumb.jpeg.6ae51d8abae7bcc9b7ff2e9ed03201c4.jpeg

EF2EF78B-8EA4-4A3F-87DA-0967759B28E5.thumb.jpeg.ff2ed837b59e5c4e29609b768281a519.jpeg

CF0C251C-587D-4588-9DD7-3B17561CE104.thumb.jpeg.20a6c2300bbc76a3a2de72977a61f049.jpeg

3FF336AC-A240-48B2-9BA6-43DE1AD66EAF.thumb.jpeg.aca80949058cebb2d11cdc1f28be3367.jpeg

B66F471D-F67D-41DB-91A3-61E171E0C091.thumb.jpeg.39506c646389f390d8daa061a11d57a1.jpeg

30B82ACF-A2B1-4695-BA3B-4BA6FB767CDA.thumb.jpeg.44bc6faf5eba25ad4168abff7c50f05a.jpeg

Now that's a score!

For a foreigner - how do these estate sales work?

On one hand you have the insanely good scores for $3 each - and in others people are in a queue for 4 hours only to find the best books (or all the books) are gone for big bucks.

It doesn't seem very equal.

1 hour ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Some books. Also from an estate sale. I wish I wasn’t in a hurry for an appointment that day. Books were $3. Although some were in packs for $30. First Falcon was in a pack. One issue away from 1st swamp thing

039EAF5F-A379-4466-AC81-474F7BF29563.jpeg

9796E331-276E-4CAB-91EF-692E43161F63.jpeg

A2B22A30-E762-4D0A-A453-87398A8A26B6.jpeg

That's ridiculously good.

There are some high value books in that lot for $3? (ASM #129 Cap #117 etc) - did no-one check ebay? If I was the vendor, I'd be royally pee'd off that valuable books were being given away.

If those books are an average of FN / VFN - there's what?   $8,000 worth?

Great for you, but terrible for the vendor.  :tink:

Anyway - many congrats - that's a wonderful score - what did you leave behind? :foryou:

7 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Some books. Also from an estate sale. I wish I wasn’t in a hurry for an appointment that day. Books were $3. Although some were in packs for $30. First Falcon was in a pack. One issue away from 1st swamp thing

039EAF5F-A379-4466-AC81-474F7BF29563.jpeg

9796E331-276E-4CAB-91EF-692E43161F63.jpeg

A2B22A30-E762-4D0A-A453-87398A8A26B6.jpeg

That's insane.

Was it the same estate sale as littledoom?

Edited by jcjames

On 6/22/2021 at 4:30 PM, Beige said:

For a foreigner - how do these estate sales work?

On one hand you have the insanely good scores for $3 each - and in others people are in a queue for 4 hours only to find the best books (or all the books) are gone for big bucks.

It doesn't seem very equal.

That's ridiculously good.

There are some high value books in that lot for $3? (ASM #129 Cap #117 etc) - did no-one check ebay? If I was the vendor, I'd be royally pee'd off that valuable books were being given away.

If those books are an average of FN / VFN - there's what?   $8,000 worth?

Great for you, but terrible for the vendor.  :tink:

Anyway - many congrats - that's a wonderful score - what did you leave behind? :foryou:

Took me a few days from the last post but I finally got some of these books off to CGC for grading. Yes, same sale as little doom. ASM 129 is going to get signed by Roy Thomas so hopefully the turn around on that one isn't too long.

Each estate sale is different. Some will sell in bulk. Others are individual book prices. In this case they just found the boxes of comics so they didn't have time to look up almost a thousand books. It's one of those things. The estate sale people are hired to sell the contents of the house. These books weren't bagged and boarded and from the sound of it stashed away somewhere. So they weren't real stand out items. There was a lot of other valuable stuff there as well that is out of my wheelhouse. Fancy clothes, dish sets, glassware, I missed out on the 60s/70s Joes while I was getting comics... A lot of the books had water damage unfortunately. I would say average condition to be around vg - fine. Thanks for the congratulations. I was glad I got to share the moment with my son. Usually I'm solo on a lot of these trips. As far as what I didn't get was mostly DC stuff I don't collect. There was a lot of Superman books.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80