• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Took me a few days from the last post but I finally got some of these books off to CGC for grading. Yes, same sale as little doom. ASM 129 is going to get signed by Roy Thomas so hopefully the turn around on that one isn't too long.

Each estate sale is different. Some will sell in bulk. Others are individual book prices. In this case they just found the boxes of comics so they didn't have time to look up almost a thousand books. It's one of those things. The estate sale people are hired to sell the contents of the house. These books weren't bagged and boarded and from the sound of it stashed away somewhere. So they weren't real stand out items. There was a lot of other valuable stuff there as well that is out of my wheelhouse. Fancy clothes, dish sets, glassware, I missed out on the 60s/70s Joes while I was getting comics... A lot of the books had water damage unfortunately. I would say average condition to be around vg - fine. Thanks for the congratulations. I was glad I got to share the moment with my son. Usually I'm solo on a lot of these trips. As far as what I didn't get was mostly DC stuff I don't collect. There was a lot of Superman books.

Yes! That must have been a teaching point, that it doesn't always happen that way at all! Good Bonding Though 😉

Still you lucked out that they didn't find it until day of, that time and energy you had that they didn't this time, turned to your favor!

Feel good about it, they had their priorities and thank God that they're still getting theirs! 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

even estate sales they're not going to catch everything without careful planning, IF you DID DO careful planning and there are times it happens to be in your favor on something you want....

Other estate sales it might be something other that comics so we don't hear about it, still happens I'm sure haha and probably every single time!

That's why they're a big deal for some, I haven't near the time or energy, but I'm glad those that do get rewarded occasionally

7 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Took me a few days from the last post but I finally got some of these books off to CGC for grading. Yes, same sale as little doom. ASM 129 is going to get signed by Roy Thomas so hopefully the turn around on that one isn't too long.

Each estate sale is different. Some will sell in bulk. Others are individual book prices. In this case they just found the boxes of comics so they didn't have time to look up almost a thousand books. It's one of those things. The estate sale people are hired to sell the contents of the house. These books weren't bagged and boarded and from the sound of it stashed away somewhere. So they weren't real stand out items. There was a lot of other valuable stuff there as well that is out of my wheelhouse. Fancy clothes, dish sets, glassware, I missed out on the 60s/70s Joes while I was getting comics... A lot of the books had water damage unfortunately. I would say average condition to be around vg - fine. Thanks for the congratulations. I was glad I got to share the moment with my son. Usually I'm solo on a lot of these trips. As far as what I didn't get was mostly DC stuff I don't collect. There was a lot of Superman books.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems it's just pot luck then?

I understand completely - on this very thread (a few years back mind you !) I was the only bidder at a contents auction when a tenant did a runner.

They did it complete room by room.

I was the only bidder at $200 for a 3000 comic collection (roughly) - GSX #1 was in it 

Another time $700 for pretty much sight unseen pile of boxes - Hawkman #4 + Bats #227 + #381 etc - I think I got 25 9.8 DC 'keys' out of it. The pics are on here somewhere.

Both financially good. And a few for my keeper collection.

It's good to see a 'regular' on this thread get a great result.

Those days seem to be gone now, as everyone is aware of the value in comics. 

Congrats again! :foryou:

Shout out to the wife today for scouting! When I was digging at a comic shop in Branson, MO she was sending pics of comic stashes at the flea market/antique places she and her mother were visiting. 

Exactly ZERO comics were added to my PC and sale pile, but at least she's trying!

Next time we're up this way, I'll run over to Spingfield. Seems to be alot more going on over there. 

4 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Shout out to the wife today for scouting! When I was digging at a comic shop in Branson, MO she was sending pics of comic stashes at the flea market/antique places she and her mother were visiting. 

Exactly ZERO comics were added to my PC and sale pile, but at least she's trying!

Next time we're up this way, I'll run over to Spingfield. Seems to be alot more going on over there. 

I can think of flowers jewelry and other nice things to even the "score", :tink:

Mother in law gets a bouquet too ^^

31 minutes ago, Conacon said:

GIF piss dog perro - animated GIF on GIFER - by Darkfire

10 minutes ago, Namtak said:

A rainy day at flea market so not so great....still got that one that was missing in my collection.

20210626_141708.jpg

man speedy's uncle was always so high, especially for back then :x I wasn't aware of this game though, now I want to play :whee: 

We had a garage sale this weekend and I ended up selling $100 in crappy $1 books.  I only had out a few long boxes of the give away books and people dug thru them all weekend.  Great way to get rid of some drek - you guys should try it.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

We had a garage sale this weekend and I ended up selling $100 in crappy $1 books.  I only had out a few long boxes of the give away books and people dug thru them all weekend.  Great way to get rid of some drek - you guys should try it.

Going to try this in 2 weeks at a town wide garage sale.

3-4 long boxes of rando titles (mostly DC)

6 minutes ago, Eddragon said:

Going to try this in 2 weeks at a town wide garage sale.

3-4 long boxes of rando titles (mostly DC)

I tried it probably 10 years ago and did pretty good and then tried it again a comic books only garage sale a few years ago and did terrible.  I think you have to have the books just as an after thought and the typical garage sale people will flip through the boxes and grab a few for the kids and it adds up.  The year I did a comics only sale was a huge flop because after the few hardcore comic buyers make their rounds (and didn't buy any drek) there is just no one shopping since they don't want to only look at comics.  I know a couple guys in Ohio that have a huge basement sale a couple times a year with only comics and they do great but it's taken them awhile to generate so many customers (and they sell some nice books in the mix and not just all drek).

Edited by 1Cool

I would think that most people would consider you a fool and offer 50 cents at a garage sale. If you’re not giving away your stuff, it’s hard to sell at garage sales around here. 

Heck, I would rather give them away free to kids than deal with the young phone holding flippers around here. 

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I would think that most people would consider you a fool and offer 50 cents at a garage sale. If you’re not giving away your stuff, it’s hard to sell at garage sales around here. 

Heck, I would rather give them away free to kids than deal with the young phone holding flippers around here. 

That was going to be my follow up question…price ranges.

I was looking at offering books at $1 each. 

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I did the same a few months ago. Sold off two short boxes worth of junk books for about $200

On 6/16/2021 at 7:47 PM, Conacon said:

A Craigslist lead brought me to an antique store where the owner wanted to unload some comics a friend gave to him a decade or so ago. 48 2-packs, mostly DC Universe logos. I'll add a good group shot later. 

20210616_062844.jpg

20210616_063021.jpg

20210616_063031.jpg

Okay, finally home! I took pics of all of them and I'll post them in a sales thread. Take a look if interested!