• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

Sold my '71 Camaro project car awhile back - figured I was going to take a break from the vintage car hobby for a bit and focus on comics and OA.

Until a '67 Impala 2 door fastback caught my eye.

:headbang:

Sam and Dean would be proud.

Pictures :shy:

Finally able to take some pictures. I've been busy this weekend taking the pinstriping off the car, which is a tedious, but inexpensive pastime. Best part about this car? It's the same non-factory teal color I painted my old 1970 Impala back in the early 1990's. Amazing coincidence.

67IMPALA.JPG

That car is definitely you, Dr B!!

:cloud9:

Shes a beauty but 19 miles to the gallon!, its gonna get expensive, is this a second car or is this your main car?

19 miles to the gallon is great! My current vehicle (Suburban) gets around 15 mpg. This is my second car - however, I only live 2 miles from work, so the gas pinch isn't as bad for me as it is for some people who have to commute.

Shes a beauty but 19 miles to the gallon!, its gonna get expensive, is this a second car or is this your main car?

19 miles to the gallon is great! My current vehicle (Suburban) gets around 15 mpg. This is my second car - however, I only live 2 miles from work, so the gas pinch isn't as bad for me as it is for some people who have to commute.

I know that Petrol prices in the US are cheaper than here in the UK, but I got rid of my Pathfinder ( 24 mpg ) last year due to diesel costs. ( 40 mile round trip to work for me + a toll tunnel ) Its currently £6.50/ $10.50 a gallon

I suppose if you need to worry about the cost you wouldnt have it and I think it will be well worth it to roll up anywhere in that. :headbang:

The car has 90k original miles, so it's not been beat to Hell, either. She's got a 283 with a 2-barrel carb and a Powerglide transmission - and gets about 19 miles to the gallon!

Those crossed racing flags below the 283 mean you've got a good one!

;)

Its currently £6.50/ $10.50 a gallon

I will be one sad dude when it gets to be that high here in the States. :( I think I've got about 10 good years left in driving a "true" classic car before it will just be too expensive to drive and/or convert to a new type of fuel.

Sold my '71 Camaro project car awhile back - figured I was going to take a break from the vintage car hobby for a bit and focus on comics and OA.

Finally able to take some pictures. I've been busy this weekend taking the pinstriping off the car, which is a tedious, but inexpensive pastime. Best part about this car? It's the same non-factory teal color I painted my old 1970 Impala back in the early 1990's. Amazing coincidence.

67IMPALA.JPG

Nice car. Thats funny, my UPS driver knows i like cars so he came to my shop the other day with a 66 Impala with a 283. Fully restored. He wanted 12K for it.

67IMPALA.JPG

Nice car. Thats funny, my UPS driver knows i like cars so he came to my shop the other day with a 66 Impala with a 283. Fully restored. He wanted 12K for it.

Not a bad price for fully restored. I can rattle off a few things on a car that would ring up $12k right off the bat.

I know that Petrol prices in the US are cheaper than here in the UK... its currently £6.50/ $10.50 a gallon

WOW. For the average vehicle with a one-week fill-up allowance, that works out to approximately 10K in a year. Double or triple that if you fill up your car more than once a week. :o

67IMPALA.JPG

Not a bad price for fully restored. I can rattle off a few things on a car that would ring up $12k right off the bat.

Oh absolutely a good deal. He even said he was taking a loss on it. Usually do when you put money into a car, but hes got another project he is working on.

Bump you say? Okay!

I'm a big fan and collector of all the different coins that were issued as premiums during the early and mid sixties in potato chips and other products. For example, a set of sixty Space Orbit coins were issued as premiums in Dare, Krun-Chee and Hunter's Potato Chips in Canada in 1965(?). Here are scans of some of my Dare coins:

23-08-2012121150AM.jpg

23-08-2012121153AM.jpg

23-08-2012121155AM.jpg

And here are scans of some of my Krun-Chee coins:

26-08-201295502PM.jpg

23-08-2012121203AM.jpg

The Dare coins are more common than the Krun-Chee ones since Dare chips were distributed in and around Toronto while the Krun-Chee chip plant was in Windsor and the chips weren't sold much beyond southwestern Ontario. Krun-Chee chips were not that common even in London when I was a kid. Meanwhile, the Hunter's Space Orbit coins are the toughest of them all. I have only one.

A U.S. variant of the Space Orbit coin set was also issued with Gordon's Potato Chips and Krun-Chee Corn Chips. To avoid offending delicate American sensibilities, the coins of Commie Soviets Yuri Gagarin, Gherman Titov and Nikita Kruschev were replaced with coins bearing less threatening images. Here is a scan of a sheet of my Gordon's ones:

26-08-201295458PM.jpg

As you can see, John Kennedy was deemed a suitable image albeit Kruschev was not. Here's a scan of a sheet of my Krun-Chee Corn Chip coins:

23-08-2012121148AM.jpg

Here are scans of my Space Magic coins that were premiums within Krun-Chee, Schuler's and Nalley's Potato Chips in 1964 or so:

26-08-201295506PM.jpg

26-08-201295512PM.jpg

26-08-201295509PM.jpg

26-08-201295513PM.jpg

Although all these brands were also sold somewhere in Canada at the time, my impression is that these coins were only distributed in the U.S. since that's where they all seem to originate these days.

A twenty coin set of Warships were also issued by Krun-Chee and Schuler's in Canada in late 1962 or early 1963. Here are my Krun-Chee ones:

27-08-2012112738PM.jpg

02-09-2012104730PM.jpg

:popcorn:

Yes, I have both those sets. Here are some scans I have handy:

10-06-201251841PM.jpg

10-06-201251853PM.jpg

10-06-201251847PM.jpg

12-06-2012110528PM.jpg

Old London Potato Chips were sold in Pennsylvania and in other adjacent northeastern States.

:cool: