• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNE to flood eBay with 13,000 slabs?

490 posts in this topic

So, what kind of stuff are we talking about? 90 drek, bronze, silver...??

13,000 implies drek if you ask me; otherwise they would be doing some major pre-selling on this stuff

Could be that we don't really care if we sell anything too, as an explanation to the lack of promotion.

Frankly, I don't think there is much point in selling most any material that is 9.8...I've learned in the past 20 years that there is never any point to selling anything in true investments grades. For the most part...it just gets more expensive.

If only I kept it all.

The majority of it is from the 80's and 90's...all mainstream marvels, some dc's.

Much of the material is not that pricy....but it will be one day as people begin to realize just how tough it is to get 9.8's on many things pre-CGC.

You don't care if you don't sell anything? Now here I was, thinking you were a real business, with a real business model and you go and say that. I've never heard a business owner say they didn't care if they didn't sell anything. Shucks, you might as well just close up shop and become a collector...

And 9.8 from 1980 forward is common as dirt. Most just hasn't been slabbed (yet...)

The thought has occurred to me.

I guarantee one thing, on the week of Thanksgiving, there will be tons of people checking ebay to see if the book they need is there. There are a lot of folks looking for a 9.8 copy of a certain issue. 9.8s are common but there are still a lot of issues where that is not the case.

I guarantee one thing, on the week of Thanksgiving, there will be tons of people checking ebay to see if the book they need is there. There are a lot of folks looking for a 9.8 copy of a certain issue. 9.8s are common but there are still a lot of issues where that is not the case.
I know I'll be there! (thumbs u does anybody Know what is the exact date all these books will be going up? I don't want to miss ANYTHING!!!

I remember when I was first starting out (circa late 80's)...the guys who had been around at that time thought I was insane for thinking 60's marvels would ever really be worth anything.

They thought I was insane at the time.

I thought they were smoking crack. (I know I just heard that recently...now if only I could remember where??????)

I repeated the same mistake these old timers made with respect to the 70's. And, I was actually dumb enough to put my money where my mouth was, and I gave them away (basically).

I figure that at some point even a dumb and stupid person like me has to learn that seeing this mistake made twice in my career should be enough to avoid making it again.

A lot of these 80's and 90's books are relatively inexpensive in 9.8. The average price of the 13,000 books is around $65.00, with most being about 50 bucks.

Personally, I think they are kind of neat....I don't ever seem to get tired of the artwork. Some one who wants to put together runs of Amazing spiderman and FF from 200 on, and X men from 143 on can do so inexpensively, and in a reasonable period of time, and not break the bank.

Whether you agree or not...this fills a need for many collectors.

Whether or not they have the same investment potential as early marvels is debatable, at best....history is the only mechanism that will allow that judgement.

The only thing I can bet on for sure, however, is that someone will have the last laugh.

Collectors I would never agrue against buyng anything someone likes for them to enjoy. (thumbs u

As far as most of them over time being worth money it's just obvious they will continue to go downward and alot of them will windup being worth almost a $1.00 once the CGC fees are considered.

Checking the CGC cesnus and just basic comic marketplace knowledge will give anyone the basic knowledge of what is happening and will continue to happen to common 80/90's books even keys now and in the future.

You will see $19.99 as a lucky ending price on most of them.

So your saying I ''COULD'' get a 9.8 MIRACLEMAN #23 & #24 for $20.00? hm

Don't hold your breath :grin:

Should 13,000 Modern CGC 9.8s be designated a pedigree?

I wonder how much the per book rate was to pre-screen/slab these?

Will this help me finish my Alpha Flight run?

So many questions... hm

I remember when I was first starting out (circa late 80's)...the guys who had been around at that time thought I was insane for thinking 60's marvels would ever really be worth anything.

They thought I was insane at the time.

This doesn't jive with what was going on in the late 80's, especially with regards to Silver Age Marvels, especially in high grade.

These were books whose most desired examples were selling for $1,000+ by the late 80's, and I dunno about you, but $1,000 has ALWAYS been a chunk of money to me. Even in the early to mid 80's, when Silver Marvel slumped, AF #15 and FF #1 were still $800-$900 books.

These books were all sucked out of the marketplace by 1990, which is why we had the radical price increases of the early 1990's. 1989, Fantasy #15 and FF are $1,500 books. By 1992, they were $7,000 books. By 1996, they were $25,000 books (none of which is news to you; you were in the thick of this.) This happened because the books were not available..to anyone..for anything but crazier and crazier dollar amounts from investors who spent the 80's scooping them up.

So who was it that said they wouldn't be worth anything?

I thought they were smoking crack. (I know I just heard that recently...now if only I could remember where??????)

I repeated the same mistake these old timers made with respect to the 70's. And, I was actually dumb enough to put my money where my mouth was, and I gave them away (basically).

70's books haven't even come close to performing like 60's books, even late 60's books. The top 10 books of the Bronze age are handed their lunch by the top 50 Silver Age books on a routine basis.

I figure that at some point even a dumb and stupid person like me has to learn that seeing this mistake made twice in my career should be enough to avoid making it again.

A lot of these 80's and 90's books are relatively inexpensive in 9.8. The average price of the 13,000 books is around $65.00, with most being about 50 bucks.

Personally, I think they are kind of neat....I don't ever seem to get tired of the artwork. Some one who wants to put together runs of Amazing spiderman and FF from 200 on, and X men from 143 on can do so inexpensively, and in a reasonable period of time, and not break the bank.

Whether you agree or not...this fills a need for many collectors.

Whether or not they have the same investment potential as early marvels is debatable, at best....history is the only mechanism that will allow that judgement.

The only thing I can bet on for sure, however, is that someone will have the last laugh.

80's and 90's books are neat, no doubt. Many of them are classics.

But for them to "be worth" anything in the future, we would need numbers approaching what we had in the hobby in the early 1990's. Since that doesn't look likely, only the truly rare books will ever be "worth" anything. *Everybody* saved everything, ESPECIALLY Marvel. As we have seen with the catastrophic fall of Harbinger #1 (due to the flood of 9.8s to come to the market), there are very, very few books from the era be truly rare in ultra high grade.

And they will be Independents.

I truly hope you're right....if you are, I will be a millionaire. But I doubt you are, and the evidence doesn't support you.

Link.

Showcase New England will be posting on Ebay more than 13,000 books that they have had CGC-certified this year. They will post them the week before Thanksgiving. Several of the books to be posted are the highest-graded copies. The majority of the books were purchased from a warehouse in California earlier this year. The titles include all of the mainstream Marvel characters and many DC and independent titles as well. You can visit their Ebay store at showcase-new-england.

This is a guest article. The thoughts and opinions in this piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.

When I see "warehouse in California", I think "Fantasy Distribution"...come on, how close am I...? ;)

Having said THAT, I will say THIS...

If we EVER have a renaissance in comic collecting in this country, the likes of which we saw in the early 90's, all of us who own high grade copies of these books will be very, very, very wealthy.

When books like Batman #428, which has a low, relatively static number of 9.8s on the census (23, and already sold for high prices, meaning the odds of many more showing up are not likely, even with pressing), are noticed by "the masses", there's no reason for such a book not to be worth $2,000-$3,000 in 2009 dollars.

The books with fewer than 10 copies on the census? Through the roof.

But that is a gargantuan if, and it's not looking good for the near future.

Wow! So much negativity and hostility.

Where does it come from?

The 30 and 40's books were lost to the paper drives because no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

The late 40's and early 50's were barely bought because no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

The late 50's and 60's were thrown out because no one thought it was possible that the stuff being printed was anything other than pure junk and no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

The dealers in the 70"s started selling what was previously thought to be junk in the 40's and 50's, but still threw out the books from the 60"s because no one thought they would ever be worth anything. The dealers in the 80's threw out the 70's books because no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

The dealers in the 90's continued to throw out the books from the 70's and added the 80's to the pile because no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

Everyone wants those 70's books back.

And now the 80's are in.

Today dealers are throwing out the 90's (because they reflect the attitudes of the todays collectors) because no one thinks they will ever be worth anything.

Is it my imagination, or is there a pattern here??????

I don't want to be the contrarian here, and I definetely would not want to disagree with so many who feel the 80's and 90's books are so worthless. (By the way...how many of you know that getting 9.8's on post glut 90s era books is actually not all that easy for two reasons....they didn't print that many (because no one thought they would ever be worth anything), and the paper is extremely fickle.)

All of a sudden, I have this desire to run to my warehouse and see what else I can waste my money on.

I was tired earlier....But I now feel completely rejuvenated! What in the world is wrong with me?????

Well, some years from the 90's, books might be thrown out (although that doesn't sound right to me.)

Books in the 90's after 'the crash?' Those are already scarce compared to the years earlier, I doubt there are enough around to be thrown out.

-slym

Showcase is gonna make a killing with this collection, I already did the math in my head. Granted many of the 1990's books will be tough sells, but the pre 1990 9.9 and 10.0 will more than cover that cost. Hey its comics, and to live the life of a comic dealer beats getting up in the morning to go to some dead end job. :juggle:

I think a very good LONG term play are Marvels from 1997-2001 in very high grade. You can pick them up, if you're patient, for next to nothing. Buy them, and put them away for 15 years. VERY low print runs for mainstream titles.

His is correct in that every generation thought the previous generation's books were not going to be worth much.

And you know what? Its kind of a fallacy that those generations were wrong. Clearly with respect to hg books they were... but hg emphasis is "relatively" new.

Point is with very very few exceptions you can buy anything 1960-1990 in vg for next to nothing.

hg copies turned that on its ear because they were so scarce. But what exactly from 1980-2000 is scarce even in hg?? Not a helluva lot. Mid to late 90s are probably the rarest. From 1980-1990? Truly nothing marvel/dc.