• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, Pantodude said:

other folks, despite knowing all the facts, prioritize cents versions either for nostalgia or consistency reasons, since most of their collection is in cents

Not gonna lie, this is me.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, Pantodude said:

But who said this hobby makes cents?

I "¢" what you did there!

On 7/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, Pantodude said:

Or just get both.   :cloud9:   But only one is practically irreplaceable given a single life time.  (thumbsu

1995112308_X-Men1.thumb.png.2ae3f10863cd26631b52c57c8da71936.png

If you want to get rid of that crummy, super common, US edition PM me! 

I will say your Pence copy is pretty stunning! The whites look great! Really pretty copy. 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:08 PM, KCOComics said:

If you want to get rid of that crummy, super common, US edition PM me! 

:nyah:  Had this been back when my PC was in its infancy, the plan would have been (if God had arranged for it somehow!), to complete my wantlist with UKPVs, true.  But don't get me wrong -- I love my cents versions, as much as anyone else (as confirmed by the coin I dropped on my keys over the years)!   And now that I have some cents/pence twins, I would unload almost anything else before breaking up the pair.  I don't consider one a dupe of the other, no way.  Creating pairs has been an independent treat, above and beyond what the individual books already give me.  Ideally, I would resurrect my wantlist for this purpose, but my wife might have something to say about that.  :(   

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/23/2021 at 2:50 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

X-Men 1 CGC 8.5 on CL auction with 6 days to go is at 100k.

Jumped from 85k to 100k at 4:26AM EST? Could be overseas but I choose to believe this is someone who casually woke up middle of the night to go to the bathroom and made a 100k bid from the toilet. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:45 PM, wiparker824 said:

Jumped from 85k to 100k at 4:26AM EST? Could be overseas but I choose to believe this is someone who casually woke up middle of the night to go to the bathroom and made a 100k bid from the toilet. 

I admit it. It was me. But i wasn't on the toilet. I fell asleep in my parents basement in front of my computer and I woke up and did not want to poop my pants and I tripped on the empty taco bell bag with the empty steel reserve spiked blue razz can in it and fell on the computer and my mouse hovered. It was my computers falt not me.

I was watching an auction of a ratty coverless copy on eBay the past week, and I was quite surprised where it ended up at. I have a nice, off-white/white complete coverless copy myself, so I was hoping it would give me an idea as to what coverless copies would go for in this current market. I think I paid $250 for mine around 5-6 years ago. Here's the auction in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194211127014?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=lUmZ%2Bkc14sMMTlEsw2hqkBeaB5Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

On 7/30/2021 at 5:42 PM, Illustrious said:

I was watching an auction of a ratty coverless copy on eBay the past week, and I was quite surprised where it ended up at. I have a nice, off-white/white complete coverless copy myself, so I was hoping it would give me an idea as to what coverless copies would go for in this current market. I think I paid $250 for mine around 5-6 years ago. Here's the auction in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194211127014?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=lUmZ%2Bkc14sMMTlEsw2hqkBeaB5Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

The entry level for this book just keeps getting higher, even though mid grades are slipping.

But wow, you weren't kidding, that's a ratty coverless copy!  First wrap detached and story-affecting piece missing from the corner.

Anyone watched the X-Men 1 5.0 Blue Label on Ebay? It ended at just $12,600.

Isn't that insanely low for this mega key issue? Seller was a reputable dealer. I know there's very minor retouch but that's a steal.

C

On 8/2/2021 at 6:07 AM, lucima said:

Isn't that insanely low for this mega key issue? Seller was a reputable dealer. I know there's very minor retouch but that's a steal.

C

The book is restored.  The "blue label" is obviously an error.

-J.

This is why I get miffed whenever CGC bends its own rules and allows restored books to get a LOWER blue label.  CGC also allows green label replaced staples to get a lower blue, I've seen. It's confusing. In light of that, the blue 5.0 label was not in error, just ill-advised.   In other words, that book looks like a 7.0+ but for the restoration, and CGC gave it a blue 5.0 to account for that (when it should have left it a 7.0/7.5 purple label).  (In other words)2,  the book was priced by the buyers in the auction as if it were a moderately restored 7.0/7.5, which makes the hammer price look about right?  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, Jaydogrules said:

The book is restored.  The "blue label" is obviously an error.

-J.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, Pantodude said:

This is why I get miffed whenever CGC bends its own rules and allows restored books to get a LOWER blue label.  CGC also allows green label replaced staples to get a lower blue, I've seen. It's confusing. In light of that, the blue 5.0 label was not in error, just ill-advised.   In other words, that book looks like a 7.0+ but for the restoration, and CGC gave it a blue 5.0 to account for that (when it should have left it a 7.0/7.5 purple label).  (In other words)2,  the book was priced by the buyers in the auction as if it were a moderately restored 7.0/7.5, which makes the hammer price look about right?  

I get it guys, still $12600 for a 7.0 with minor restoration is still a damn good price.

Edited by lucima

On 8/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, lucima said:

I get it guys, still $12600 for a 7.0 with minor restoration is still a damn good price.

Possibly, but might need more info.  Had it just been the small amount of glue (or small amount of color tough), then that would be "minor" or "slight" in most folks' eyes.  But this book also had a piece added, which is no longer in the realm of "slight" without more information (was it small?).  So I would treat it as "moderate" resto, which makes the final price seem about right, i.e., restored book going for about 15-20% of blue when dealing with the higher grades.  That is the historical norm, at least.  But you could be right.  More info could confirm it was a good price.  Hopefully the buyer lets us know!

Edited by Pantodude

Yep, not really a steal of a price in my opinion. Glue is very difficult to remove and I'm sure the owner has already looked into possibly having it removed by a professional. Also the light tan pages is frowned upon especially in major key books.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:07 AM, lucima said:

C

far from a "steal."

12.6k for a xm1 restored 5.0 (piece added with glue ) along with tan pages. - who knows how much of a hit it'll take if the restoration was to be removed. 

IMO its a fair price 

BTW Congrats on winning the book and welcome to the boards :hi:

C'Link results 7/29 (since they don't appear in GPA).

2.0 OW/W (UK) $7100

5.0 OW/W $23,750

6.0 OW $38,000

8.5 OW/W $105,000

Hmm.... prices are just a little bit down from May/June. I am guessing that the discoloration on the 6.0 and the corner crease on the 8.5 probably were factors. They're still beautiful books.

00000211560000111286489003.jpg00000211685000111099828001.jpg

Edited by CycleGirl