• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

Well since I have never ever posted anything in the Signature Section of the boards before I figured this would be a good place to ask my question. hm

I am usually not a big SS guy other than for resale, but I do have a couple SS books personalized in my collection from Stan Lee, Romita, Neal Adams, etc....

I was wondering if this bothers anyone like it bothers the hell out of me. To me it seems there are a lot of these SS signatures that get authenticated, but looks like spoon when the artist/writer signs the actual book..

A lot of these "modern" artist's signatures are absolutely terrible, and bare no resemblance to the actual person s real legible name what was ever. :mad:

Best example I can give is Jim Lee. He is super nice guy, but all his signatures just look like a kid scribbled something on your nice comic book. Scott Campbell another nice guy but god awful sig (shrug)

Some people think Todd McFarlane can be a d-bag, but at least his signature actually looks like he really signed your book.

I just find a lot of SS books to look like complete trash when they artists and writers make illegible signatures on the book.

I got two of these done in the same grade, and resold them to someone who I guess actually thinks this signature below actually makes the book better.

Maybe I am the weird one, but below is a good example of what I do not like.

Here is one book I bought/SSed then recently sold:

CB4T3wEWkKGrHqVl0Ez5CvKBrBNJSgy5Q0_3.jpg

That is funny J scott campbells signature looks just like the signature on all his published work. On top of that it is legible. It displays every letter in his last name.

As for jim lee his signature is jim. It is jim with a pulse squiggle at the end. He used to put an L with a squiggle after the jim aswell. But he signs so many books that is is just jim.

But the signatures you described are nice in comparison to say jim stalin who has a squggle. or celebrities which don't even resemble squiggles but instead look like accidents.

The bottom line. These are their signatures and it is there right to sign how they feel like signing or not even sign at all

Think about it

That is funny J scott campbells signature looks just like the signature on all his published work. On top of that it is legible. It displays every letter in his last name.

As for jim lee his signature is jim. It is jim with a pulse squiggle at the end. He used to put an L with a squiggle after the jim aswell. But he signs so many books that is is just jim.

But the signatures you described are nice in comparison to say jim stalin who has a squggle. or celebrities which don't even resemble squiggles but instead look like accidents.

The bottom line. These are their signatures and it is there right to sign how they feel like signing or not even sign at all

Think about it

I am not saying about their rights. I am saying their signatures look terrible as if they never signed the book in the first place.

Well IMO they are basically signing it like they couldn't pass first grade cursive.

I guess I am in a minority then to think when you sign your name a person should be able to tell that you actually signed it, and not just scribbled gibberish.

There are some awful looking sigs out there, but that doesn't really bother me. A person's signature is what it is, and if you think it detracts from a book, then just don't them sign anything for you. You can't expect someone to change their signature to suit you.

Sig placement, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter.

There are some awful looking sigs out there, but that doesn't really bother me. A person's signature is what it is, and if you think it detracts from a book, then just don't them sign anything for you. You can't expect someone to change their signature to suit you.

I would think one would have some respect personally (who cares about me) to when they sign something whether it was a check or document to actually make their name where someone can actually read it properly.

I said in my OP I do not do SS for that reason, I was just curious as to how people like when someone just scribbles on their comics.

Without the CGC SS certification someone would just think a kindergartner got a hold of your book.

Stan Lee is almost 90 years old and when he still signs books OMG :idea: it still reads legibly Stan Lee in cursive.

Have some pride when you sign your name and not make it look like spoon.

Jim Lee among other are nice people I am just shocked they make their sigs look that disgraceful. (shrug)

Alan Moore has a beautiful signature. You can read very letter or almost every letter of his name in the signature. On the flip side he rarely does signings. He signed one hard cover book for me one time. I love it. I also wish that he would sign 20 more items for me. I know that will never happen those. So think about it like this. A really nice signature that you might get one of in your entire liefetime if you try really hard and are really lucky. Or a signature that isn't as nice that thousands of people can obtain multiples of.

I would rather go with the latter.

I would think one would have some respect personally (who cares about me) to when they sign something whether it was a check or document to actually make their name where someone can actually read it properly.

I said in my OP I do not do SS for that reason, I was just curious as to how people like when someone just scribbles on their comics.

Without the CGC SS certification someone would just think a kindergartner got a hold of your book.

Stan Lee is almost 90 years old and when he still signs books OMG :idea: it still reads legibly Stan Lee in cursive.

Have some pride when you sign your name and not make it look like spoon.

Jim Lee among other are nice people I am just shocked they make their sigs look that disgraceful. (shrug)

I know that both Joe Simon and John Romita have said something similar. They don't get how some people sign their name so you can't read it. Devilsrain was showing Joe a sketch cover and he was like "hey sign your name bigger, I can't even read what it says!" Mr. Romita said that he signed clearly because he wanted you to know how did the artwork.

I feel the same way. I like to be able to at least read what their name says when they sign. Heck look how nice Mr. Frazetta used to sign. (Even when he had to start signing with a different hand it STILL looked very similar)

BWS has the WORST sig. I remember seen some guy get his sig on a Conan books and the look of disappointment on his face completely changed my opinion of Mr Smith.

Have you seen Jim Starlins sig?

Ok, then I will ask what probably has been asked somewhere in the previous 20 pages but I didn't see it....

When getting multiple sketch covers CGC SS from multiple artists that all finish at separate times for sure, what do you typically do to handle the paperwork correctly for CGC? Each time you go get a witness to pick your book up with you do you tell them to just add it to the list that you already have submitted with them after doing the first one? I'm planning on getting a few books done at Heroes and want to make sure it runs as smooth as possible....

At the beginning of the show- Go to the CGC booth.

Tell them you are setting up a lot of sketches.

Tell them you would like to keep an open invoice.

Each time you drop off a sketch make sure it gets put on the same invoice.

If that is not an option- Hang onto all of your separate invoice #'s. Call them after the show and make sure they combine invoices for you.

This way you wont get hammered on shipping.

Cheers!

Sean