• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

I'm taking some books to Wondercon for SS. I was going to just drop the books off at CGC, but think I would save a little $$$ if I get the sigs myself.

My question is, I would obviously have to get in line for whoever 30 minutes to an hour before the signing starts. I can't get out of line and grab a CAW, and wouldn't want to leave my books there to go get one.

What is the best course of action?

If you talking about getting the sigs yourself vs. letting CGC get the sigs, the cost is the same. But there is no guarantee that CGC will be able to get the sigs.

I would recommend going to the CGC booth, telling them what sigs you're trying to get, and discuss with them the best course of action.

I couldn't seem to find any info on this via search.

blank sketch covers -

How you guys verify those, and the options for submitting them. I would imagine it would work like this at a convention:

I go to a CGC booth and say I talked with [insert your favorite artist here!] and they agree to sketch the book for [$X of dollars]. I then presume you guys coordinate the rest 'behind the scenes'?

Is this also the same for the Paper sketches you verify and encapsulate?

Thanks in advance!

No, unless it's a CGC-presented sketch opportunity, you have to do most of the ground work yourself.

You go to the artist with your sketch cover and figure out all the details directly with the artist - subject matter, pricing, when it's going to be done. Once the sketch has been completed, you go to the CGC booth, and ask for a witness to accompany you back to the artist to pick up the sketch cover.

Where do you guys find blank covers? I've been to comic shops in 6 different states and still haven't seen one nor found a comic shop that knows what im talking about, and ebay usually seems to charge $20 and above per book.

Also, do i have to pay for cgc encapsulation, etc if I'd like to get some sketches done on raw books? I notice price usually includes cgc stuff, so it should be a little cheaper if you want to keep the book raw.

Where do you guys find blank covers? I've been to comic shops in 6 different states and still haven't seen one nor found a comic shop that knows what im talking about, and ebay usually seems to charge $20 and above per book.

Also, do i have to pay for cgc encapsulation, etc if I'd like to get some sketches done on raw books? I notice price usually includes cgc stuff, so it should be a little cheaper if you want to keep the book raw.

I see guys like BeachBum do pre order sales for blank covers.

I know lots of people make friends with online comic retailers. If you email their customer service and tell them you want to pre-order blanks they are usually very accommodating.

I have a guy who is great, pm me if you would like an email address.

As for encapsulation- if you want your sketch cover to be raw, then just dont get it graded. :)

Good luck

If I send my CGC SS for pressing and turn it in to CGC for regrade, am I still getting Yellow SS label or Green Qualified label? Original Yellow label turn in with the book.

I do not think this is possible.

Also pressing might mess up the signatures.....(This is a guess, I would leave it to Joeypost for the final word on that.)

I don't seem to have found this question anywhere else so I thought I would ask.

If I already have a SS comic signed by someone and I take it to a convention to be signed for someone else. How much do I have to pay for it to be re-slabbed? Is this considered just a re-holder type of thing or is it the full amount again?

How does CGC deal with books that are done through the mail with artists? A lot of people do much better work at home then rushed at a con. How do you get those sketches yellow labeled through cgc?