• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

If I send my CGC SS for pressing and turn it in to CGC for regrade, am I still getting Yellow SS label or Green Qualified label? Original Yellow label turn in with the book.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in nearly all cases to maintain the yellow label, you must send the uncracked book to a CGC authorized service. The only two I know of that press SS's and re-sub are joeypost or Matt Nelson. Otherwise, a SS book would get a green label.

What he's asking is if he sends a blank to an artist at his/her home to work on without a witness present, would it get a yellow label?

The answer is yes, but not if you send only one. I BELIEVE there is a minimum number of books the artist has to work on before they can be approved for SS. Also, it must be pre-arranged. Often what happens is that the agent or representative of the artist (or the artist themselves) will call Joe Pierson at CGC's headquarters (Mr. Pierson is the SS director) and organize the opportunity. Once the artist is done working on the books, they will send them directly to CGC and they will be given the yellow label.

I'm not sure why this is the case and signatures can't be done this way (maybe they can actually, I'm not sure...) but my guess is that art is harder to forge than a signature.

If anyone has more accurate info than me, please feel free to chime in!

I did a mail away on the Sara Richard books in my sig line. I PMd Joe Pierson and Paul Litch (this was right around when they changed positions). I asked them if I could do it and what needed to be done. They said it was no problem and gave me a form for Sara to fill out. I sent the books to Sara with the form to be filled out and a prepaid box to ship to CGC. She sketched on the books filled out the form and sent the package onwards. Everything was worked out well and I got two 9.8 SS books out of the process.

I think it just comes down to asking CGC if they will allow it.

Interesting!

Thanks Liaton-9000 and sniderwj for the info.

If you had two books done, I suppose that may be the min. Does anyone have the email/contact info for a Mr. Joe Pierson so I could ask him about it?

Make sure you address him as either

Mr.

O Captain! My Captain!

Monsignor

Senior Wizard

or

Hellfire Hotchkiss

and you should get a prompt response! (thumbs u

If I send my CGC SS for pressing and turn it in to CGC for regrade, am I still getting Yellow SS label or Green Qualified label? Original Yellow label turn in with the book.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in nearly all cases to maintain the yellow label, you must send the uncracked book to a CGC authorized service. The only two I know of that press SS's and re-sub are joeypost or Matt Nelson. Otherwise, a SS book would get a green label.

I can now get my my SS comics pressed? When did that happen? I have an Astonishing Tales 25 9.2 SS Rich Buckler that would get a 9.4 if pressed.

Based on the discussion we've been having in the "Grading & Restoration Issues" forum, I figured it would be easier to go straight to the source for an answer to this question.

We all know about the (significant) grade-drop that occurs when a book with an unverified signature on the front cover gets put in a Universal label slab, but if this unverified signature is on the interior (either on the inside cover or on one of the interior pages), will it still be considered a defect and therefore affect the grade when said book is slabbed?

If this is the case, I would assume that it would affect the grade much less than if the signature was on the cover, right?

Hello All, I'm new to the boards and new to grading comic books.

I just recently had some comics signed by a number of writers and artists at this year's SDCC. However, there wasn't a CGC booth or anyone to witness the signing.

Can I still get a SS CGC grade eventhough a CGC person was not present? I'm a little confused by the whole thing.

Thanks in Advance,

~ Praxis52

Hello All, I'm new to the boards and new to grading comic books.

I just recently had some comics signed by a number of writers and artists at this year's SDCC. However, there wasn't a CGC booth or anyone to witness the signing.

Can I still get a SS CGC grade eventhough a CGC person was not present? I'm a little confused by the whole thing.

Thanks in Advance,

~ Praxis52

This is an easy one. For books signed at a convention, a CGC representative (either an employee of CGC or a Contract Authorized Witness (CAW)) needs to actually see the book being signed in order to qualify for SS. Even if a creator later affirms to CGC that he signed the book, it would not count.

BTW, WTTB (Welcome to the Boards). :hi:

Thanks for the reply somewhereintexas!

So, CGC doesn't have a way to authentic signatures yet?

It's unfortunate, that my signed books don't qualify for SS. I got a number of great quality books signed by a lot of my favorites (Jim Lee, Loeb, Johns,... etc). Will they be doing something to handle cases like this in the future?

Thanks for the info oneasian and GoldenGuardian!

Hopefully, things with CGC will change to allow autographs that were not witnessed. The would surely miss out on the amount of items that would be submitted. Also, they wouldn't need people to run around all throughout the convention to witness the numerous signings. I'm hoping they figure out an authentication process. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for that.

Hopefully, next year, they'll have a CGC booth at the San Diego Comic Con. I would really love to get all of my signed books a SS CGC slab.

Praxis, Welcome!

Just so you know, CGC was at San Diego. And they will not authenticate signatures that they did not witness. They could certainly change this going forward, but to me, the witness authentication is the thing that separates the yellow label from all other authentications and COA's. If you hang around a little, you will find that there are a number of facilitators that can help you get your books qualified for SS at San Diego and lots of other cons.

I know CGC will slab a sketch on a backing board. It's nice because it still verifys the sketch is authentic.

2 questions:

1.) What size backing board is the largest size aloud for this process? Can you get a magazine sized backing board 8 1/2 by 11 slabbed? or is that too large? (I've only seen regular sized slabs with sketches, not the magazine size slabs.)

2.) Does it have to be a backing board? Or can it be any type of paper?

I have a question about sketches that I have seen conflicting information on, so I would like to clear it up as I plan to do my first one at the upcoming WW Austin show...

To authenticate a sketch, when does the CAW have to get involved? Do they have to be there when the item to be sketched is dropped off, or does the CAW only have to be present when the item is picked up and then transported to CGC? I think it is the latter, but I just wanted to be 100% sure that I would do it correctly.

Thanks!