• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

A question I think I know the answer too, but I just want to make sure.

If I had a book SS at one convention and want to get it SS again at another one by someone else. What are the steps that I need to take to get this done?

Take the book to CGC's booth and have them crack it for the second signature.

Hey Norm,

welcome to the boards. Take a peak at the following from the SS director:

Signature Series for 2012 will run as it has with the exception of a few changes.

Additional signature hold will no longer be available. A book can be signed at one event and then it must be submitted. The only exception to this is if a facilitator arranges a signing event such as DWC's Legends signings or NYComics Masters signings. The event much be pre-arranged with us and the books must be completed within that arranged window of time and then submitted.

Essentially you will need to submit your book at the first convention and then crack the slab at the second show, with CGC/CAW supervision, and then add your second batch of signatures.

I have a lot of books with unwitnessed signatures that have a green label. Green label to me seems like it should be for a book with pages missing or a book ruined in some way. Would you consider creating a new label for unwitnessed signatures? Maybe an orange label called 'Unwitnessed Signature". CGC would have no responsibility for the authenticity of the signature. The market can determine the worth of these books. The person submiting the book could send in the book with a list of the names on the cover or a certificate of authenticity if there is one. Again, CGC takes no responsibility for the authenticity. CGC puts on an orange label and the name or names claimed to be on the cover. I understand that CGC wants it black and white that they saw the book signed or it wasn't signed, and maybe there would be some dishonest people, but that would be the whole point of a new label. A label with non-witnessed names written on the cover that cannot be authenticated by CGC but do not ruin the comic. I have a bunch of green label books that I would send in for a new label. The green label just doesn't seem right for this to me.

I have a lot of books with unwitnessed signatures that have a green label. Green label to me seems like it should be for a book with pages missing or a book ruined in some way. Would you consider creating a new label for unwitnessed signatures? Maybe an orange label called 'Unwitnessed Signature". CGC would have no responsibility for the authenticity of the signature. The market can determine the worth of these books. The person submiting the book could send in the book with a list of the names on the cover or a certificate of authenticity if there is one. Again, CGC takes no responsibility for the authenticity. CGC puts on an orange label and the name or names claimed to be on the cover. I understand that CGC wants it black and white that they saw the book signed or it wasn't signed, and maybe there would be some dishonest people, but that would be the whole point of a new label. A label with non-witnessed names written on the cover that cannot be authenticated by CGC but do not ruin the comic. I have a bunch of green label books that I would send in for a new label. The green label just doesn't seem right for this to me.

I like this idea lot.

I think it could open up a whole new market, it allows the book to carry the name of the signature on the label, and there were so many books int he 90s that had these COAs.

Green labels suggest manufacture damage, but the books issued with COA's for sigs are not technically damged books. :think:

I like this idea lot.

I think it could open up a whole new market, it allows the book to carry the name of the signature on the label, and there were so many books int he 90s that had these COAs.

Green labels suggest manufacture damage, but the books issued with COA's for sigs are not technically damged books. :think:

+1 this would be a cool new addition to cgc .

I like this idea lot.

I agree 100%. The green label was a reasonable way to handle unwitnessed sigs in the beginning, but since the hobby has moved to strongly toward SS having something like an "orange" label would be good. I know that several of those 90's signings had the books in sealed bags with the COA and special stickers covering the flap, so those books would be good candidates for something like this in terms of "chain of custody".

I like this idea lot.

I agree 100%. The green label was a reasonable way to handle unwitnessed sigs in the beginning, but since the hobby has moved to strongly toward SS having something like an "orange" label would be good. I know that several of those 90's signings had the books in sealed bags with the COA and special stickers covering the flap, so those books would be good candidates for something like this in terms of "chain of custody".

+

The only reason my Dynamic Forces signed comics aren't graded is because of the Green Label. If there was a designated label like suggested, I'd definitely submit them to CGC. I think a lot of people probably think about it that way, too. So this could result in more business for CGC because of a special designated label for unwitnessed signatures.

A Black Label with white writing could be cool, too. But I'd take any color label!!

I like this idea lot.

I don"t understand what the new label would do. The green label gives the world a structural grade without downgrading for the signature. The sig is unverified and the world can decide on its own what value to place thereupon. What would a new label do that would be any different than that?

I don"t understand what the new label would do. The green label gives the world a structural grade without downgrading for the signature. The sig is unverified and the world can decide on its own what value to place thereupon. What would a new label do that would be any different than that?

It would look really pretty. :gossip:

The problem is a green label means so many different things. It can be clipped coupons, cover detached or missing wraps. With a different color my comic is free of defects except an unverified signature.

Everything else is true but an unverified signature is not lumped in with all the other defects.

I think Rich said it best:

I like this idea lot.

And this is a good point too...

The problem is a green label means so many different things. It can be clipped coupons, cover detached or missing wraps. With a different color my comic is free of defects except an unverified signature.

Everything else is true but an unverified signature is not lumped in with all the other defects.

Personally, I'd like to add the encapsulation of COAs and the date graded.

I think Rich said it best:

I like this idea lot.

And this is a good point too...

Personally, I'd like to add the encapsulation of COAs and the date graded.

I agree too.

Green labels are for manufacturing errors,missing pages or coupons.

Why not have a different label for unwitnessed sigs? (shrug)