• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

I never paid export fees from Canada to the U.S (I do not believe they do that here in Canada).

The worst company for a Canadian buyer is UPS they charge a insane amount of money for brokerage fees and FeDex is the best they charge the correct amount based by your provincial rate versus using the general Federal tax rate witch is 13,5% here in Canada. I never use any other shipping service any more when purchasing a item that is worth a 1000$ or more from the U.S (I never purchase from any other countries...I do not trust them).

Edited by Hulk1962

That is correct. United Parcel Services are out-and-out rip-off artists. UPS levy custom brokerage fees to collect the 13.5% GST that far exceed the GST! In fact the UPS fee is so high I've almost refused delivery in the past. As a Canadian I always specify no UPS.

(tsk)

I never paid export fees from Canada to the U.S (I do not believe they do that here in Canada).

The worst company for a Canadian buyer is UPS they charge a insane amount of money for brokerage fees and FeDex is the best they charge the correct amount based by your provincial rate versus using the general Federal tax rate witch is 13,5% here in Canada. I never use any other shipping service any more when purchasing a item that is worth a 1000$ or more from the U.S (I never purchase from any other countries...I do not trust them).

If you declare the book as a children's book (which is what the government considers comics) then you are supposed to pay 5% plus whatever brokerage fees are involved.

US buyers don't pay customs on comics.

If you declare the book as a children's book (which is what the government considers comics) then you are supposed to pay 5% plus whatever brokerage fees are involved.

Right, 5% and if you request USPS you don't have any brokerage fees. Feels like a "must know" situation if you are buying multi-thousand dollar books.

Right, 5% and if you request USPS you don't have any brokerage fees. Feels like a "must know" situation if you are buying multi-thousand dollar books.

I thought technically they could be considered "books" (category 7) and pay only the Sales Tax of 5%.

Only FeDex does there job correctly even then some times they get it wrong but at least if you go and pick the book up in person at the FeDex store located at your local airport (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Halifax or some larger city in Canada) you can explain to them at the customs bureau (customs agents at a counter) what is in the box or envelope and they will charge you your provincial tax and not the 13,5% Federal tax. You have to tell them it is a book and you must provide a proof of purchase. Most of the time they want a page print out of the invoice from the internet that come from a reliable source like paypal or a credit card statement (or something like that).

Best is to call them once the item has cleared customs to see how much they have charged and if need be have them hold it at customs and pick it up in person to make the proper corrections. This is more of a pain but you save money so it is worth it on expensive items.

Edited by Hulk1962

I thought technically they could be considered "books" (category 7) and pay only the Sales Tax of 5%.

When I buy books from Heritage I have them mark used books on the shipping papers and only get charged the 5%

Yes the key word to save money on customs is ''book'' and not comic book.

Correct, because a comic book is taxable on the provincial level due to ad content - TPB's and other comics with only minimal house ads are eligible for the book rebate.

:D

There's a 2.0 on eBay via auction right now. I believe the seller is a boardie

What do you think the hammer price will be?

I'm thinking 8k.

:acclaim:

And I didn't buy it. lol

I'm thinking 8k.

And I didn't buy it. lol

:applause:

When I had my 4.0 graded, the going rate for a 4.0 was $3K.

:o

I'm thinking 8k.

And I didn't buy it. lol

That was one smart purchase! You have made quite a pretty penny on that book. Congrats

I'm thinking 8k.

And I didn't buy it. lol

That was one smart purchase! You have made quite a pretty penny on that book. Congrats

That was the going rate, not what I paid. That would make you :olol