• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Anyone who seriously thinks SC 4 is the "King of the SA" based on two or three recent sales is on crack.

That is all. (thumbs u

-J.

Haha I remember when you said that SC4 was below H1 and then a week later you changed your mind. Can you do that again please :)

It is an interesting truism that those who offend the most are also the most easily offended.

Isn't that so very interesting?

The essence of noobness is attitude, not join date.

If there were equal amounts of SC4 left in existence similar to AF15....the value for SC4 will crash down in price. ;) Showcase 4 is one of the book which scarcity and demand causes the high price. Again, the Golden Age books like Action 1, Detective 27..and others are value so high...again due to the scarcity and demand.

But there was a substantial amount of time when Showcase #4 was considered the premiere Silver Age book to own. That absolutely shifted in the late 70's, as those who grew up with Spiderman and FF now had the cash to buy them up, but demand has a funny way of changing, even over relatively large measures of time.

Showcase #4, even if it had similar numbers as AF #15, wouldn't likely come down to the price of a, say, Showcase #27 or #34...or maybe not even a #22. There's still a considerable amount of demand.

The interplay between supply and demand isn't always easy to define.

It is an interesting truism that those who offend the most are also the most easily offended.

Isn't that so very interesting?

The essence of noobness is attitude, not join date.

If there were equal amounts of SC4 left in existence similar to AF15....the value for SC4 will crash down in price. ;) Showcase 4 is one of the book which scarcity and demand causes the high price. Again, the Golden Age books like Action 1, Detective 27..and others are value so high...again due to the scarcity and demand.

But there was a substantial amount of time when Showcase #4 was considered the premiere Silver Age book to own. That absolutely shifted in the late 70's, as those who grew up with Spiderman and FF now had the cash to buy them up, but demand has a funny way of changing, even over relatively large measures of time.

Showcase #4, even if it had similar numbers as AF #15, wouldn't likely come down to the price of a, say, Showcase #27 or #34...or maybe not even a #22. There's still a considerable amount of demand.

The interplay between supply and demand isn't always easy to define.

Well said!

And for many years, AF15 and SC4 hovered near par on sales price (which, given SC4's rarity, still means AF15 is net net more in demand, but that's besides the point).

Jaydog - it's fun to watch you squirm. I'd like to paraphrase the great Roy D (VintageComics) signature line ---- "You're so wrong, you're wrongerer."

No apology necessary for me. Because Friday.
We used to have a lottery in the early 80's called "The Provincial Lottery" and the jingle was called 'You'll Love Fridays". Every time I hear the word Friday I think of that jingle. Wish I could find a link but I don't see one on YouTube.
This one?

PROVINCIAL LOTTERY 1983 VERSION 2 by Retrontario(non-blackface version.)

No, there was a song where everyone kept repeating "I Love Fridays!" in song, one after another. I can't seem to find it on the internet. That video you posted does seem to be appropriate for this thread though. :D

However, they were wrong.

SC 4 in 5.0 last night -29.7k VERSUS AF15 5.0 last sale $26,500

SC4 in 7.5 last night - 78.5k VERSUS AF15 last sale $73,500

hm

But those sales will be called outliers :baiting:

By definition a single sale outside the established norm is an outlier. Once duplicated it becomes a pricing trend. A few more comparable sales and it becomes supported fmv. Time will tell

hm

By definition a single sale outside the established norm is an outlier. Once duplicated it becomes a pricing trend. A few more comparable sales and it becomes supported fmv. Time will tell

Availability of this book will inhibit establishing pricing trends. These prices make shake some loose, but that would only be speculation.

You know this more than anyone, setting FMV on "rarer" books is a PITA.

hm

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action! :sumo:

Interestingly, you can call those two sales outliers but they happened at the same time.

Two sales of different grades at highest prices attained. Having two happen certainly gives more credence to the possibility this isn't just a one time occurrence. It might actually be what is happening with the book.

But time will tell. It will take time though because of the lack of available copies out there.

Either way, I'm happy to own one and it's a fun time to be a collector.

Maybe the Billionaire scooped up both. (shrug)

The thought crossed my mind.

If you have enough money, the price point of something you want ceases to matter. I'm not saying this is what happened here, but it's possible that the buyer was going to own this book no matter what the hammer was.

If you have enough money, the price point of something you want ceases to matter. I'm not saying this is what happened here, but it's possible that the buyer was going to own this book no matter what the hammer was.

If the Billionaire is passionate about the hobby he probably even hangs out here on the boards. If I had unlimited resources and had a passion for comics I'd be scooping up all kinds of high grade rarity. How are any of us going to compete.

I've been getting out bid on a ton of GA comics on ebay recently. Some comics are going for insane prices. I had a seller of many comics I was bidding on tell me the comics I'm bidding on are all being scooped up by one bidder.

If the Billionaire is passionate about the hobby he probably even hangs out here on the boards. If I had unlimited resources and had a passion for comics I'd be scooping up all kinds of high grade rarity. How are any of us going to compete.

I've been getting out bid on a ton of GA comics on ebay recently. Some comics are going for insane prices. I had a seller of many comics I was bidding on tell me the comics I'm bidding on are all being scooped up by one bidder.

I've seen the same in a few auctions I've lost recently, and not-so-recently. Sometimes there are just some head shakers. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the billionaire, but perhaps someone who has resolved to own that particular book, price be damned.

I've seen the same in a few auctions I've lost recently, and not-so-recently. Sometimes there are just some head shakers. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the billionaire, but perhaps someone who has resolved to own that particular book, price be damned.

.... with the better material, this is often what it takes.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u