• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

For me it was always Paulina Porizkova.Only thing prettier than an Action 1 to me.

Yeah, I had a huge crush on her. There was a particular SI cover that was rather breathtaking.

And those soft drink ads on TV :luhv:

Based on her appearances as a judge on America's Next Top Model, she still looks fantastic. Better than any of the contestants!

well no one has unlimited funds..... and having liquid funds for both books is asking a lot even for the affluent - I don't think you can just assume the rich have money for absolutely everything. Its not any different than the collector worth 100k and who can only afford one $500 book at a time without catching from his wife. The numbers are just bigger.

Besides that collector might still be making payments on his 200 ft yacht or that picasso he liked. you might prove to be right but I don't think we can just assume that a half million or a million means absolutely nothing to these people

you are, of course, correct, if we are speaking in general...pretty much

"common sense" right (thumbs u

again, I am not making "general" statements... my opinion is based on specific individuals that I know that would or could have interest in these books, and that I know "have the funds" to purchase..I am not "assuming" anything there ...and that is all I am basing my statements on (thumbs u

I try to form my opinions based on what I "know" or what I have been told (credible) and not what I speculate on (though, sometimes speculation is the only way to go)

So the race is on for as to who is going to press the Buy It Now button 1st on that choosen day. I think that it will be such a high amount that your going to say [WAIT!] let me think about this here. I dont think its going to be any kind of a race at all. I think your going to see that Buy it now up there for a short while.Thats why I think it will be over a million. I think there may be a base offer around or just under there already and a Lets see if the Market can top that type of thing going on.

well no one has unlimited funds..... and having liquid funds for both books is asking a lot even for the affluent - I don't think you can just assume the rich have money for absolutely everything. Its not any different than the collector worth 100k and who can only afford one $500 book at a time without catching from his wife. The numbers are just bigger.

Besides that collector might still be making payments on his 200 ft yacht or that picasso he liked. you might prove to be right but I don't think we can just assume that a half million or a million means absolutely nothing to these people

again, I am not making "general" statements... my opinion is based on specific individuals that I know that would or could have interest in these books, and that I know "have the funds" to purchase..I am not "assuming" anything there ...and that is all I am basing my statements on (thumbs u

I try to form my opinions based on what I "know" or what I have been told (credible) and not what I speculate on (though, sometimes speculation is the only way to go)

I can believe that there are people who have that level of discretionary income. I teach at a boarding school in New England and as the head wrestling coach, I'm able to travel to many of the other established, Ivy League-feeder schools as well. And let me tell you: the facilities in many of these schools (not mine, but others) easily rivals and surpasses those of colleges and universities that I've seen. This is accomplished almost strictly through giving on the part of parents and alumni which either build the facilities or the endowment. Phillips Exeter School literally has an endowment exceeding (I kid you not) $1 billion dollars.

So, if there is roughly 5% of the US population that can afford a private school tuition (which can range from $20,000+ to $60,000 /yr) and donate hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of tuition costs, then it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that there are people who could afford these books despite the economic downturn.

I can believe that there are people who have that level of discretionary income. I teach at a boarding school in New England and as the head wrestling coach, I'm able to travel to many of the other established, Ivy League-feeder schools as well. And let me tell you: the facilities in many of these schools (not mine, but others) easily rivals and surpasses those of colleges and universities that I've seen. This is accomplished almost strictly through giving on the part of parents and alumni which either build the facilities or the endowment. Phillips Exeter School literally has an endowment exceeding (I kid you not) $1 billion dollars.

So, if there is roughly 5% of the US population that can afford a private school tuition (which can range from $20,000+ to $60,000 /yr) and donate hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of tuition costs, then it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that there are people who could afford these books despite the economic downturn.

another valid and sound statement... and again, generally accepted premise (thumbs u

the difference here too, is that most of the "top" comic collectors, are somewhat known by the community (and even the private ones are "known" to many)... now, there can always be an unknown "variable" type collector, but if we limit ourselves to who we know, it is easier to make some of these statements..

comic collecting, as a whole, doesn't appeal to Sultans of sudan and bill gates folks... so sure, they easily have the money, but we are not generally expecting them to be buyers...

folks like Metro and Clink and Heritage etc, know the shakers and the bakers (folks either currently active or formerly active collecting...like the Nic Cages, to the Eric Roberts, to the John D's System of a down, etc, etc)...

these are folks that do have the disposable income to purchase book(s) of this nature...and there are MANY other private folks that do too...it is from these sources I draw many of my observations and conclusions about the "upper" end of the buying spectrum...

I am NOT part of that spectrum... I DO have limited funds and I know that I cannot afford one or either...but, there are many that can, and to those that are on the fence, and as mentioned, the current economic situation 1)doesn't prevent them from being active if they chose to 2)can make it happen if they need to (access to LOC, equity loans, etc)...

again, all this is just my opinion, I am not any more right than anyone else, just voicing my perspective

another valid and sound statement... and again, generally accepted premise (thumbs u

the difference here too, is that most of the "top" comic collectors, are somewhat known by the community (and even the private ones are "known" to many)... now, there can always be an unknown "variable" type collector, but if we limit ourselves to who we know, it is easier to make some of these statements..

comic collecting, as a whole, doesn't appeal to Sultans of sudan and bill gates folks... so sure, they easily have the money, but we are not generally expecting them to be buyers...

folks like Metro and Clink and Heritage etc, know the shakers and the bakers (folks either currently active or formerly active collecting...like the Nic Cages, to the Eric Roberts, to the John D's System of a down, etc, etc)...

these are folks that do have the disposable income to purchase book(s) of this nature...and there are MANY other private folks that do too...it is from these sources I draw many of my observations and conclusions about the "upper" end of the buying spectrum...

I am NOT part of that spectrum... I DO have limited funds and I know that I cannot afford one or either...but, there are many that can, and to those that are on the fence, and as mentioned, the current economic situation 1)doesn't prevent them from being active if they chose to 2)can make it happen if they need to (access to LOC, equity loans, etc)...

again, all this is just my opinion, I am not any more right than anyone else, just voicing my perspective

Once anyone reach the "Elite" affluent level...than the Monet, Van Goghs, Tec 8.0, Action 8.0 can be theirs.

Once anyone reach the "Elite" affluent level...than the Monet, Van Goghs, Tec 8.0, Action 8.0 can be theirs.

of course...and there are a select few of these "elite" type comic collectors... folks also have a way to draw in some new big $ folks into this realm of ours to (good marketing, etc)...

so, I guess my point is the books will sell what the winners/buyers can afford or feel comfortable spending (how is that for prognotication!) lol

So the race is on for as to who is going to press the Buy It Now button 1st on that choosen day. I think that it will be such a high amount that your going to say [WAIT!] let me think about this here. I dont think its going to be any kind of a race at all. I think your going to see that Buy it now up there for a short while.Thats why I think it will be over a million. I think there may be a base offer around or just under there already and a Lets see if the Market can top that type of thing going on.

I agree with this assessment. I think there will be some Metro "sticker shock" when the book is first posted that will get at least some people to think long and hard about hitting the BIN. Although if somebody from the ultra rich group is really interested in this book the BIN will be hit awfully quickly (shrug)

I'm going to sell my house, condo, vehicles, quit eating out, and no longer support my kids in extracurricular activities like sports, dance, music etc. No more jewelry for the wife either.

With all that said, I think I can spring for a high priced comic. Priorities are now all realigned and I'm ready to go. :lol:

of course...and there are a select few of these "elite" type comic collectors... folks also have a way to draw in some new big $ folks into this realm of ours to (good marketing, etc)...

so, I guess my point is the books will sell what the winners/buyers can afford or feel comfortable spending (how is that for prognotication!) lol

Let me look up prognotication so I can comment.

I was just about to do that too. :)

now peter, I can take parker correcting my spelling... but you my good friend, are as bad as me :baiting:

prog·nos·ti·cate (prg-nst-kt)

tr.v. prog·nos·ti·cat·ed, prog·nos·ti·cat·ing, prog·nos·ti·cates

1. To predict according to present indications or signs; foretell

can't spell but I knew the word to use lol

Well, for one you spelt it wrong.

:baiting:

That's "spelled", not "spelt" :baiting:

my brain works too fast...my fingers and typing can't keep up...how is that for an explaination lol

That's "spelled", not "spelt" :baiting:

Mine was slang. His was broken English.