• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

I'm torn on this one. I agree with the above argument - is an 8.0 worth 3X more than a 6.0? And this will be the 5th nicest copy (the 8.5, the Larson, the Church, and the other rumored copy).

Nitpicking, but this copy is better than the Larson.

And if the bottom staple isn't rusted (many KC books are), some would argue it would be at least as good as the 8.5

Have you seen the Larson? The list says VFN - granted that isn't exact, but it seems like VFNs from that list could end up being FVFs or VFNMs. If it's a VF, then I'd expect the state of preservation to be better than the KC - which would trump for most.

And you can argue all day long about this one and the 8.5, but at the end of the day one says 8.0 and one says 8.5.

I think its very clear which book is nicer.

Which? I've never seen either up close, but the scans of the 8.5 look much fresher & brighter than the KC copy, not to mention the tear at the top of the KC. That being said, I don't like rusty staples, but supposedly the rust is minor.

Ignoring the rust, the 8.5 presents better over the internet.

I'm torn on this one. I agree with the above argument - is an 8.0 worth 3X more than a 6.0? And this will be the 5th nicest copy (the 8.5, the Larson, the Church, and the other rumored copy).

And if the bottom staple isn't rusted (many KC books are), some would argue it would be at least as good as the 8.5

Have you seen the Larson? The list says VFN - granted that isn't exact, but it seems like VFNs from that list could end up being FVFs or VFNMs. If it's a VF, then I'd expect the state of preservation to be better than the KC - which would trump for most.

And you can argue all day long about this one and the 8.5, but at the end of the day one says 8.0 and one says 8.5.

Which? I've never seen either up close, but the scans of the 8.5 look much fresher & brighter than the KC copy, not to mention the tear at the top of the KC. That being said, I don't like rusty staples, but supposedly the rust is minor.

and in person?

and in person?

Sadly, I've never seen either :(

For me it was always Paulina Porizkova.Only thing prettier than an Action 1 to me.

Yeah, I had a huge crush on her. There was a particular SI cover that was rather breathtaking.

Oh I know it. Thats when I fell for her hook line and sinker. 30 years now and still crazy about her.

I saw the 8.5 when it was in a fortress at SDCC in 1993 at the PCE booth (or maybe 94, can't even remember any more)...I bid 60k on it back then, but wasn't even close!

at the time, I had a nice unrestored 3.0 that I had paid 18K for a few years earlier, but I figured I could sell that if I "upgraded" to this copy... c'est la vie

Really? The 8.5 has yellow tanning that stands out on the white of the cover both on the spine and the right edge. Of course the gallery doesn't have the best scan but I prefer the KC copy because its much cleaner. Also, I'm assuming that the rust on the 8.5 is slightly worse [both staples?].

Do you think Metro should have waited until after the Tec 27 8.0 sale was done to offer this?

Seems like a great time to start promoting it. If you only had money to go after one record-setting book and were thinking about the Tec27, this might make you decide to hold off.

I expect a post from Rob React any second now...

I initially thought the same thing, but you have to think that it would be better for Metro (and the rest of the hobby) for headlines to be made about the Tec 27 going for $500K or whatever astronomical figure it ends up going for.

Isn't this copy "the other rumored copy"?

Do you think Metro should have waited until after the Tec 27 8.0 sale was done to offer this?

Seems like a great time to start promoting it. If you only had money to go after one record-setting book and were thinking about the Tec27, this might make you decide to hold off.

I expect a post from Rob React any second now...

I initially thought the same thing, but you have to think that it would be better for Metro (and the rest of the hobby) for headlines to be made about the Tec 27 going for $500K or whatever astronomical figure it ends up going for.

I still think the tec will go for what it will, regardless...and the action 1 will too...

again, if someone has to "choose" (i.e. have limited funds) then "choose"... but, the "players" at this level are generally not affected to any serious degree by the economy (maybe they were worth 100 mil, now it is 60mil...)... I am sure the winner can have "both" if they want (just my opinion)

Isn't this copy "the other rumored copy"?

If this is, then the Church is somehow worth even more now. If this is the "other" book, then it'd be the only 9+ copy.

It would also raise my estimation on the 8.5 a bit by virtue of being the 2nd best copy.

well no one has unlimited funds..... and having liquid funds for both books is asking a lot even for the affluent - I don't think you can just assume the rich have money for absolutely everything. Its not any different than the collector worth 100k and who can only afford one $500 book at a time without catching from his wife. The numbers are just bigger.

Besides that collector might still be making payments on his 200 ft yacht or that picasso he liked. you might prove to be right but I don't think we can just assume that a half million or a million means absolutely nothing to these people

For me it was always Paulina Porizkova.Only thing prettier than an Action 1 to me.

Yeah, I had a huge crush on her. There was a particular SI cover that was rather breathtaking.

And those soft drink ads on TV :luhv: