• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Okay, so since the idea has been floated that none of the Star Comics line deserves to be even mentioned in this thread, who has a high grade run of all the Star titles?

I was going my Star books this weekend, finally sorting and itemizing everything I've picked up over the last year or so, I realized how quite a few were really the only copies I've run across in the several years I've been collecting (and getting a true "NM" copy was a true exception to the rule).

btw, if there isn't one already - we do need a Star Comics collecting thread

I collect Star Comics and find myself straying off into some of the other non-Star Marvels such as Alf and Heathcliff! Heathcliff at least started off as a Star comic before converting to the Marvel label. Alf was never published with a Star logo but it seems to fit with the rest of that line so I've nearly completed that run!

heres a couple more.

encase anyones wondering why these are hard to find, check the cover price. thats right, there all canadian price VARIANTS. i have them stored next to all my whitman marvel variants.

someone mentioned start comics

heatkcliff3fr.jpg

how they didnt get sued on these, i have no idea

royalroy4fr.jpg

royalroy5fr.jpg

The funny thing about Charlton's in the mid 80's is this: outside of the price and the date, there's very little to make it look like it wasn't printed in 1975.

I suspect that makes them a tad harder to spy in cheap boxes.

I absolutely love this thread. I can wait to start researching and searching for some of these hidden gems.

Me too. Other than the adult books, there are two books that I didn't even know existed....and now that I do I can start looking for them

(Did I ever tell the board that one of my collecting goals is to have one of every single comic printed from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989...?)

hm

RMA when are going to start "The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's Books" thread?

I've been pondering both a 60's and 90's thread...the 60's actually should be really, really fun, because I know there are some super scarce rarities, but the vast, vast majority of everything printed is common.

And for the 90's, should I put it here? The Modern category doesn't really discuss things like this. I think the Modern folks only like to talk about stuff that is brand new, for the most part.

hm

thank you for the welcome and let me say big fan of your posts.

thats the charm of charlton. they didnt care what was going on in the industry. while marvel was working with baxter paper, mini series, graphic novels anything to find the next big thing. what was charlton doing? reprints and war/western and funny animal books on the worst paper being printed on presses from the middle ages. i'm pretty sure the early to mid 1980s comics were printed on the original gutenberg printing press. they just didnt care and thats why i love the company. plus the war/western books had some good art and not just for charlton.

i really wish they could have hung around, especially when i see that junk from the 1990s. it had no sole, pure corporate greed with some less than talented artist making waaaaay to much money. if only sanho kim could has stayed around long enough to join image, he would have fit right in.

thank you for the welcome and let me say big fan of your posts.

thats the charm of charlton. they didnt care what was going on in the industry. while marvel was working with baxter paper, mini series, graphic novels anything to find the next big thing. what was charlton doing? reprints and war/western and funny animal books on the worst paper being printed on presses from the middle ages. i'm pretty sure the early to mid 1980s comics were printed on the original gutenberg printing press.

:roflmao:

I absolutely love this thread. I can wait to start researching and searching for some of these hidden gems.

Me too. Other than the adult books, there are two books that I didn't even know existed....and now that I do I can start looking for them

(Did I ever tell the board that one of my collecting goals is to have one of every single comic printed from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989...?)

hm

RMA when are going to start "The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's Books" thread?

I've been pondering both a 60's and 90's thread...the 60's actually should be really, really fun, because I know there are some super scarce rarities, but the vast, vast majority of everything printed is common.

And for the 90's, should I put it here? The Modern category doesn't really discuss things like this. I think the Modern folks only like to talk about stuff that is brand new, for the most part.

hm

Forget about the 60's thread as it will turn out like the 70's thread. No one will want to give away their secrets.

The 90's thread should be in the modern category but include the last decade to make it interesting to the modern collectors.

Collecting all comics from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989 is a monumental task. Good luck because you are going to need it.

Collecting all comics from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989 is a monumental task. Good luck because you are going to need it.

What would you say if I told you the Marvel was complete, and I'm a couple of books from a complete DC as well...?

Plus all of Eclipse, Paciic, First, Mirage, Eternity, Aircel, Caliber, and Epic?