• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Also, I think they handled Amy's death pretty well. I was glad to see the transformation in Andrea. The opening scene last week of her and Amy sitting in the boat talking about fishing has been, hands down, the worst, most insipid piece of writing on the show so far. I can't even watch the scene again because of my distaste for it.

I liked that scene. :shy:

I also liked that scene. For people that are unfamiliar with the source material it was how they established an emotional connection to these two characters. For my wife who has no idea who these people are it was an important scene. Without that scene her death would have been meaningless. Now if you have a problem with how the dialogue was written I can understand that. I thought it was also acted well by the two of them. 2c

My only problem with the scene....she was cradling her sister's head and then proceeded to put a bullet in it, and not blow her own hand off... (shrug)

small details (thumbs u

I think the hose on the Winnebago would be a bigger detail, but I just assumed they got a hose at the gas station they were checking out?

...but most stories that are adapted for other forms of media usually do not live up to the original. 2c

And I think that is what I've been struggling with. I firmly believe I'd like the show more if I weren't a fan of the source material. And it sucks to say that. :(

Pray to God the Goon movie never gets made...

...but most stories that are adapted for other forms of media usually do not live up to the original. 2c

And I think that is what I've been struggling with. I firmly believe I'd like the show more if I weren't a fan of the source material. And it sucks to say that. :(

Pray to God the Goon movie never gets made...

I'm praying a Goon #34 gets made myself. What's it been? A year since "Poop Potato".

I'm still digging the show, but the more I watch the more I realize how much the characters in the book really have a unique look.

I want to accept this much more hot, well-endowed Andrea, but I keep thinking that's just not what she looks like.

Some characters are more on than others. Glenn works. Rick doesn't, but the guy is good enough for it not to matter much.

After this last episode, it looks like there are going to be major departures from the book. That's fine, just don't cut out the Governor or the end of the first major story arch. :wishluck:

Edited by limited66

Its been reported that the 5th episode has it an all time high for ratings for the show so far. Even more than the series premiere. This show is a juggernaut!

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 5

* 10pm airing - 5.6 million viewers

* Adults 18-49 - 3.7 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 4

* 10pm airing - 4.8 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 3

* 10pm airing - 5.1 million viewers

* Adults 18-49 - 3.3 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 2

* 10pm airing - 4.7 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 1

* 10pm airing - 5.3 million viewers

* Adults 18-49 - 3.6 million viewers

http://ifanboy.com/content/articles/WALKING_DEAD_s_Fifth_Episode_Hits_Ratings_High

Its been reported that the 5th episode has it an all time high for ratings for the show so far. Even more than the series premiere. This show is a juggernaut!

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 5

* 10pm airing - 5.6 million viewers

* Adults 18-49 - 3.7 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 4

* 10pm airing - 4.8 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 3

* 10pm airing - 5.1 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 2

* 10pm airing - 4.7 million viewers

Ratings for The Walking Dead - Episode 1

* 10pm airing - 5.3 million viewers

* Adults 18-49 - 3.6 million viewers

http://ifanboy.com/content/articles/WALKING_DEAD_s_Fifth_Episode_Hits_Ratings_High

:whee:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Based on your posts I'd say you are holding Kirkman the screenwriter accountable to the standards of Kirkman the comic writer. Totally understandable. It's hard not to. It is however a different genre and I think it might take him a season or two to catch his stride as a screenwriter.

In the meantime, I'll try to celebrate that this incredible story is being shared with the rest of the world and hope everyone gets 1/10th the joy out of it that a lot of us have gotten out of the books.

Also, I think they handled Amy's death pretty well. I was glad to see the transformation in Andrea. The opening scene last week of her and Amy sitting in the boat talking about fishing has been, hands down, the worst, most insipid piece of writing on the show so far. I can't even watch the scene again because of my distaste for it.

You think Amy's death was handled well? I thought it was waaaay too dramatic. How did she know she wasn't going to be strong enough to just bite her face? Why would everyone else just let her act all crazy like that with a walker in the camp. That was a huge threat. Amy could have bitten Andrea and then you would have two zombies in the camp!

I will agree with you about the "insipid" comment even though I had to grab a dictionary first.

I'm still digging the show, but the more I watch the more I realize how much the characters in the book really have a unique look.

I want to accept this much more hot, well-endowed Andrea, but I keep thinking that's just not what she looks like.

Some characters are more on than others. Glenn works. Rick doesn't, but the guy is good enough for it not to matter much.

After this last episode, it looks like there are going to be major departures from the book. That's fine, just don't cut out the Governor or the end of the first major story arch. :wishluck:

I'm kinda liking the CDC thing just because it is more of a departure from the comic. That makes it more acceptable to me. I find that in each episode, I become less anal about the show veering away from the comic. I believe that the further the show moves from the comic, the more I will be able to accept it based on its own merit.

did the part with amy & the loud sound make anyone else jump ?... I'm not sure what to make of the change in the tv series .. Felt too RE to me but I guess I will wait & see... I really wanted this season to end with shane pointing the gun at rick & then carl shoooting him in the head next season :roflmao: So what if the show did not get a second season it would have been dramatic enough to make some people go out & buy the comic to find out what happened next :roflmao:

Edited by synch

Minor spoilers for the show, from a Robert Kirkman interview by IGN

The Walking Dead: Is Merle the Governor?

IGN talks to Robert Kirkman about some of the surprising new twists from "Wildfire." Plus, could Merle wind up becoming The Governor?

November 29, 2010

by Matt Fowler

Well, that was unexpected. Not that AMC's The Walking Dead TV series isn't going to frequently deviate from the comic series that it's based on, but in the latest episode "Wildfire," not only did we see Shane live, having not been killed before everyone leaves the RV camp, but we saw Rick and company head off to seek refuge at Atlanta's own Centers for Disease Control where a scientist named Jenner (Noah Emmerich) seemed to be working on a cure for the outbreak "I Am Legend"-style.

While this new CDC storyline seems like it might be a godsend for Rick, Carl and Lori, could we be watching a new take on the "Gated Community" story from the comics? Where the group finds a place that they very quickly learn is too good to be true? And still no Merle Dixon. Which means he's out there. And that there's a good chance that he'll be sticking round until Season 2. IGN had a chance to talk to the comic book series creator and executive producer of the TV show, Robert Kirkman, about these new developments and about whether or not Merle, down the road, might wind up taking the place of the famed, sadistic "Governor of Woodbury."

IGN: Once again, like "Vatos," this episode, "Wildfire," seemed to be a mix of the old and the new. The camp stuff felt familiar to those who've read the comics, but the new CDC plot took us all by surprise.

Robert Kirkman: Yeah. It's a funny thing. I set the comic book in Atlanta for fairly arbitrary reasons. Just because, regionally, it's the largest city where I started the characters out and I thought it would be a good safe zone for them to go to and that's why the comic takes place there. But Frank Darabont [Executive Producer], when he was brought in to the do the show, thought of a very interesting tidbit of information that I wasn't fully aware of and that's the fact that the CDC is stationed in Atlanta, Georgia. I had no clue. And he said "You know if the CDC is there then that's something that could be pretty useful to the show that we should probably explore." And so one of the big things that he's brought to the show is the CDC story-arc that begins and the end of "Wildfire" and continues into episode 6. So yeah, there are definitely some interesting things going on there. So stay tuned. I don't know how much actual zombie information we'll learn as far as what causes the zombie outbreak, but who knows? The show could surprise you.

IGN: Looking at message boards back during the airing of episode 3, I noticed that there were more than a few people, who obviously hadn't read the comic books, stating that they couldn't wait to find out what caused the virus outbreak. If they read the books then they would know that it's not something that ever gets directly addressed. But already, in "Wildfire," we got to see it head on. Was it because it's TV show and TV viewers demand answers faster?

Kirkman: That wasn't really a consideration. It was just a really good story idea. And I will say that, very early on in the comic book series I got all sorts of the same requests for answers and it's something that you just have to "beat out" of the fan-base as you go along. You just have to train them to know what's important and what isn't. To me, the specific origins of where the zombies came from has never been all that important. And I think that the fans of the comic book series, now, have come to understand that because they see where I wanted to go with the comics and what I've done. I think fans of the television show will probably fall in line with that thinking as well as the show progresses. Unless we reveal everything about what causes the zombies in episode 6.

IGN: Another big surprise for comic book fans was that Shane is still alive. Will there be more characters who die in the books but won't die in the show?

Kirkman: Oh sure. As you can see in "Wildfire," Shane is a perfect example of that. At this point in the comic book series, when they leave that camp, Shane is dead. And now they've already left the camp on the TV show and Shane is still alive. So it's still a question as to how long will Shane actually live on the TV show as he's already outlived his character in the comic series. I think that's a really cool thing. As the show progresses too, there will be characters who die sooner than they do in the comic book series and there will be characters who live longer than they do in the comic book series. All of the deaths won't exactly line up with how they do in the comics. Things will be different. And I think these differences will serve to make the television show as interesting and compelling, and have as many unexpected twists and turns as the comic book series does. And that's something that's been important to me from the very beginning.

IGN: Now Merle has already gone missing, so he's out there and he's already missing a hand. We're all assuming he's going to come back and cause trouble for Rick in a big way. Is The Governor character from your comic book series someone who could easily translate to a TV series, or will he have to be tweaked up a bit and given a new sheen? Like if Merle turned out, down the road, to be The Governor?

Kirkman: There's certainly a possibility of that, but I think people might be thinking a little too hard about it. I have had fans, after watching the third episode, email me or say something online on a message board about how they think Merle is going to be The Governor of the television show. All I would say to that is that I don't think people are going to be able to figure out this show that early. We have interesting things in store for Merle that will probably surprise you. And The Governor, as he is in the comic books, is a character that Frank [Darabont] really likes and he's very adamant that he wants to get him into the television show. So we wouldn't bring him onto the show in a way that makes him fundamentally different from how he was in the comic.

IGN talks to Robert Kirkman about some of the surprising new twists from "Wildfire." Plus, could Merle wind up becoming The Governor?

November 29, 2010

by Matt Fowler

Well, that was unexpected. Not that AMC's The Walking Dead TV series isn't going to frequently deviate from the comic series that it's based on, but in the latest episode "Wildfire," not only did we see Shane live, having not been killed before everyone leaves the RV camp, but we saw Rick and company head off to seek refuge at Atlanta's own Centers for Disease Control where a scientist named Jenner (Noah Emmerich) seemed to be working on a cure for the outbreak "I Am Legend"-style.

While this new CDC storyline seems like it might be a godsend for Rick, Carl and Lori, could we be watching a new take on the "Gated Community" story from the comics? Where the group finds a place that they very quickly learn is too good to be true? And still no Merle Dixon. Which means he's out there. And that there's a good chance that he'll be sticking round until Season 2. IGN had a chance to talk to the comic book series creator and executive producer of the TV show, Robert Kirkman, about these new developments and about whether or not Merle, down the road, might wind up taking the place of the famed, sadistic "Governor of Woodbury."

IGN: Once again, like "Vatos," this episode, "Wildfire," seemed to be a mix of the old and the new. The camp stuff felt familiar to those who've read the comics, but the new CDC plot took us all by surprise.

Robert Kirkman: Yeah. It's a funny thing. I set the comic book in Atlanta for fairly arbitrary reasons. Just because, regionally, it's the largest city where I started the characters out and I thought it would be a good safe zone for them to go to and that's why the comic takes place there. But Frank Darabont [Executive Producer], when he was brought in to the do the show, thought of a very interesting tidbit of information that I wasn't fully aware of and that's the fact that the CDC is stationed in Atlanta, Georgia. I had no clue. And he said "You know if the CDC is there then that's something that could be pretty useful to the show that we should probably explore." And so one of the big things that he's brought to the show is the CDC story-arc that begins and the end of "Wildfire" and continues into episode 6. So yeah, there are definitely some interesting things going on there. So stay tuned. I don't know how much actual zombie information we'll learn as far as what causes the zombie outbreak, but who knows? The show could surprise you.

IGN: Looking at message boards back during the airing of episode 3, I noticed that there were more than a few people, who obviously hadn't read the comic books, stating that they couldn't wait to find out what caused the virus outbreak. If they read the books then they would know that it's not something that ever gets directly addressed. But already, in "Wildfire," we got to see it head on. Was it because it's TV show and TV viewers demand answers faster?

Kirkman: That wasn't really a consideration. It was just a really good story idea. And I will say that, very early on in the comic book series I got all sorts of the same requests for answers and it's something that you just have to "beat out" of the fan-base as you go along. You just have to train them to know what's important and what isn't. To me, the specific origins of where the zombies came from has never been all that important. And I think that the fans of the comic book series, now, have come to understand that because they see where I wanted to go with the comics and what I've done. I think fans of the television show will probably fall in line with that thinking as well as the show progresses. Unless we reveal everything about what causes the zombies in episode 6.

IGN: Another big surprise for comic book fans was that Shane is still alive. Will there be more characters who die in the books but won't die in the show?

Kirkman: Oh sure. As you can see in "Wildfire," Shane is a perfect example of that. At this point in the comic book series, when they leave that camp, Shane is dead. And now they've already left the camp on the TV show and Shane is still alive. So it's still a question as to how long will Shane actually live on the TV show as he's already outlived his character in the comic series. I think that's a really cool thing. As the show progresses too, there will be characters who die sooner than they do in the comic book series and there will be characters who live longer than they do in the comic book series. All of the deaths won't exactly line up with how they do in the comics. Things will be different. And I think these differences will serve to make the television show as interesting and compelling, and have as many unexpected twists and turns as the comic book series does. And that's something that's been important to me from the very beginning.

IGN: Now Merle has already gone missing, so he's out there and he's already missing a hand. We're all assuming he's going to come back and cause trouble for Rick in a big way. Is The Governor character from your comic book series someone who could easily translate to a TV series, or will he have to be tweaked up a bit and given a new sheen? Like if Merle turned out, down the road, to be The Governor?

Kirkman: There's certainly a possibility of that, but I think people might be thinking a little too hard about it. I have had fans, after watching the third episode, email me or say something online on a message board about how they think Merle is going to be The Governor of the television show. All I would say to that is that I don't think people are going to be able to figure out this show that early. We have interesting things in store for Merle that will probably surprise you. And The Governor, as he is in the comic books, is a character that Frank [Darabont] really likes and he's very adamant that he wants to get him into the television show. So we wouldn't bring him onto the show in a way that makes him fundamentally different from how he was in the comic.

This makes me feel a bit abettter about what they did .. also makes the show a bit more interesting but I'm hoping it does not stray too much from the comics ...

You think Amy's death was handled well? I thought it was waaaay too dramatic. How did she know she wasn't going to be strong enough to just bite her face? Why would everyone else just let her act all crazy like that with a walker in the camp. That was a huge threat. Amy could have bitten Andrea and then you would have two zombies in the camp!

I will agree with you about the "insipid" comment even though I had to grab a dictionary first.

lol Perhaps by "handled pretty well," I just meant I was relieved I'd never have to sit through some dumb, contrived scene between the two sisters again. But yes, my girlfriend and I were almost shouting at the screen for Andrea to shoot Amy ("do it now, for fork's sake!").

Also, was it just me or does it seem like it takes forever for people to become walkers? It seemed like it had to be hours before Amy changed. Anyone remember any examples of people turning in the book? I don't recall it taking that long for the transformation.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Based on your posts I'd say you are holding Kirkman the screenwriter accountable to the standards of Kirkman the comic writer. Totally understandable. It's hard not to. It is however a different genre and I think it might take him a season or two to catch his stride as a screenwriter.

That's a fair point. There are different things that have to be accomplished when writing for the screen. Plus, a screenwriter has the filter of the actors and their ability as well. I'm hopeful that the show will really come into its own during the 2nd-3rd seasons.

In the meantime, I'll try to celebrate that this incredible story is being shared with the rest of the world and hope everyone gets 1/10th the joy out of it that a lot of us have gotten out of the books.

Very much agreed. (thumbs u

That's a fair point. There are different things that have to be accomplished when writing for the screen. Plus, a screenwriter has the filter of the actors and their ability as well. I'm hopeful that the show will really come into its own during the 2nd-3rd seasons.

Very much agreed. (thumbs u

Thanks for the back and forth. I love having an actual dialogue on these kinds of topics. Many threads end in people just dumping on one another and their opinions. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

November 29, 2010

by Matt Fowler

On the Governor issue:

I'm glad Merle isn't going to replace/become the Governor of Woodbury. (thumbs u

The Governor was a fantastic villian with a lot more going on for him than simply being a racist redneck.

Yes he was evil, but he was primarily an intelligent master manipulater. He convinced his entire group to not only follow him, but to go out and murder people from Rick's group (except the Doc + Nurse). I hope that stays the same.

As for Merle, he's totally going to get a chainsaw on that hand Evil Dead style. :roflmao:

:jokealert: