• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

Someone mentioned Green Giant Comics; I only know of 2 copies? John Mankuta used to wn one of them. Just absurdly tough book; apparently only a handful were distributed? Anyone know the story? (shrug)
I have seen multiple copies over my years...the first one I saw was in tropic comics...john c had it in a fortress in his safe in the office...but no idea where that copy went to...I also know of 2 folks that have copies right now...so my guess is there are several floating out there

Mr. Berk, who posted his copy of Green Giant Comics earlier in the thread, noted this some time ago:

There has been discussion as to the "chicken and the egg" with Sub-Mariner. Here is my two cents from a letter I wrote years ago to CBM. Just think of Funnies Inc with Jacquet as a producing shop trying to expand product.

June 19, 1993

Dear Gary,

I’d like to add my two cents to the discussion about which came first Marvel Comics #1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. In the Submariner story in MPFW the infamous box with the language “continued next week” appears. When reproduced in Marvel Comics #1 the language is omitted but the box remains. Does it not make sense since the box blocks artwork in the panel (which does not appear in Marvel Comics) and because the box only serves the purpose of telling the reader that the story continues “next week” (not next month), that the story had to have been prepared for the prospective “weekly “ promotional comic? Regardless which saw the light of day first it is reasonable to conclude that the Submariner story was intended to first appear in this prospective weekly publication.

It is stated in the Guide that the “American Ace” appeared in Marvel Mystery #3. Not so. Six of the seven pages appearing in MPFW appeared in Marvel Mystery #2. (December 1939)

“Spy Ring” featuring “The Wasp” in MPFW appears (later?!) in Silver Streak Comics #1. (December 1939) To my knowledge this has not been reported. It is interesting to note that the Silver Streak comic has a full page ad for Marvel Mystery #2. Does all of this indicate some kind of tie between the books, the publishers, the creators?

“Fun-o-graph” in MPFW appears on the back cover on another promotional comic book, Green Giant Comics. (1940)

“Kar Toon and his copy Kat” by Filchock in MPFW is also reproduced in Green Giant Comics.

I have not been able to place “Jolly the Newsie” or the seventh page of “American Ace” yet.

Finally, although it may be coincidental the size of MPFW is identical to Little Giant Comics #4 and Little Giant Detective Funnies #4 which was produced earlier in 1939 by Centaur probably with the help of Jacquet and Funnies Inc.

I hope you and Bob find this imfo helpful.

So, it seems possible that Jacquet was experimenting with promotional books and their distribution in the early going. As Gator mentioned, it does seem like there have been a few of these around in recent times. Certainly not plentiful by any stretch, but likely more than two.

106915.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to take photos of the interior. :applause:

Is the artist credited?

The art was the work of at least two artists, but I'm guessing maybe three or four. Only two pieces have signatures: William Porcelli and Gene Rocol.

Never heard of either. I doubt they were comic artists - based on style, maybe they were magazine artists. There's some art that is much simpler than the signed pages, and a couple other pieces that are more detailed. That's why I'm guessing four different artists? It appears to be the work of at least two!

Glad that a few of you enjoyed a rather obscure book.

Fairly tough, though a few have shown up recently...

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

1 of my top 2 fave comics of all time. Love the thick 124 pages of clear b/w Timely story art inside! :cloud9:

I'm *not* trying to be snarky here, and appreciate the fact that Timely guys go nuts for it (as I do for some oddball Centaurs), but the book just doesn't do it for me (especially in its elevated price range).

It's acknowledged as being rare, but isn't this book - in effect - a Canadian reprint?

(great looking copy btw, Richard)

Steve;

I believe the Cap Annual is a Canadian reprint edition while this Marvel Mystery Annual is actually printed in the USA.

Either way, I do certainly agree with your point of view since all other reprint books and in particular, Canadian reprints sell for a discount or even fractions of their original books. Yet these 2 annuals go for substantial mutiples to their original books. (shrug)

Interesting. I had always assumed both the Cap and MM annuals were Canadian rebound comics. Checked OSPG, and it only indicates the Cap is Canadian.

Is there any info on the history of the annuals or why there would be US and Canadian versions? It's also interesting that both Cap and one version of the MM have the same contents, which would seem to indicate a common origin.

Whatever the origin, both are truly rare! Thanks for posting.

New adventure 26? Exceedingly rare. Kicking myself for selling mine. I'm sure swapto is bummed as well!
I know Ian had a tough time finding one...but truthfully, I have seen like 5-6 copies available since then...rare, yes (as are all copies in that era), but maybe not "as" rare as we think (shrug)

Someone mentioned Green Giant Comics; I only know of 2 copies? John Mankuta used to wn one of them. Just absurdly tough book; apparently only a handful were distributed? Anyone know the story? (shrug)
I have seen multiple copies over my years...the first one I saw was in tropic comics...john c had it in a fortress in his safe in the office...but no idea where that copy went to...I also know of 2 folks that have copies right now...so my guess is there are several floating out there
That book is just one of the reasons I'm thinking about abandoning my Gerber cover quest and refocusing on something sane to collect.

That book is just one of the reasons I'm thinking about abandoning my Gerber cover quest and refocusing on something sane to collect.

I think if you check Heritage's archieves, they have sold two over the years. I actually regret not trying to score one myself. I don't know why, but I have always loved that cover.

Under these conditions, the rarest in my collection or hardest to get is this one -

:headbang: Best copy of this I've seen, but I've only ever seen three of them.

What is it about This Magazine Is Haunted #3 that makes it so much rarer than the other issues? Low distribution? Burned by witches?

just some great covers on these books.....jb

Thanks for posting just amazing comics on this and the other rarest comics thread.

You must have many rarities and one-of-a-kinds, but what is the one item in your collection you think is rarest?

Under these conditions, the rarest in my collection or hardest to get is this one -

:headbang: Best copy of this I've seen, but I've only ever seen three of them.

What is it about This Magazine Is Haunted #3 that makes it so much rarer than the other issues? Low distribution? Burned by witches?

The consensus from a prior thread is that all comics from Fawcett that month seem to be be prone to complete spine splits and that's probably the cause of the scarcity, especially in high grade.

I'm just a Golden Age amateur but I reckon my rarest comic is a raw 3.5 Exciting Comics # 30.

Schomburg war cover, only one copy on the census and only other Gerber 8 (besides Exciting 28). 30's def. harder-to-find than 28, probably because 28's "no-show" notoriety brought greater attention to it, while 30 continues to fly under the radar.

just some great covers on these books.....jb

Thanks for posting just amazing comics on this and the other rarest comics thread.

You must have many rarities and one-of-a-kinds, but what is the one item in your collection you think is rarest?

really impossible to say....but probably small comic companies from early 40s or late 30s...always thought my Wow run was rare especially #2....but there are other copies. Centaurs or late numbers of titles as comic companies died at the beginning of WW 2

hm I'd probably need to go thumb through my Gerber Journals to check the rarity rating as I'm pretty sure most of my stuff isn't all that rare. Best I could probably do is go off of value which would probably be the Batman #2.

(Now raw, readable, and signed by Jerry Robinson!):

Batman2.jpg

New adventure 26? Exceedingly rare. Kicking myself for selling mine. I'm sure swapto is bummed as well!
I know Ian had a tough time finding one...but truthfully, I have seen like 5-6 copies available since then...rare, yes (as are all copies in that era), but maybe not "as" rare as we think (shrug)

5 or 6 copies? Seriously?? Methinks you're blowing swamp gas up my arse. Unless you're counting the copy Ben and I have flip flopped back and forth 3 times....

5 or 6 copies? Seriously?? Methinks you're blowing swamp gas up my arse. Unless you're counting the copy Ben and I have flip flopped back and forth 3 times....

no swamp gas...5 copies I know for sure, but it might be 6 (thumbs u