• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

Evidently there are no 23's slabbed, though I know of another sharp copy. This came from Mr Bedrock many years ago.

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

There's only one of these slabbed so far.

AmazMysFunnies2_3.jpg

Evidently there are no 23's slabbed, though I know of another sharp copy. This came from Mr Bedrock many years ago.

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

AmazMysFunnies2_3.jpg

:takeit: :takeit:

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

AmazMysFunnies2_3.jpg

I think Alan's got a great set of markers and colors everything in to get it so bright. :baiting:

Gorgeous books as always!

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

AmazMysFunnies2_3.jpg

I think Alan's got a great set of markers and colors everything in to get it so bright. :baiting:

Gorgeous books as always!

We only had a b&w TV when I was a young child. I'm just making up for being color-deprived. (:

The first scan is amped a little, but it is an exceedingly bright Church copy. I believe my first posts and scans ever were these books -- check out the Centaur thread back in Feb 2005.

An underapprreciated book (and my copy is a total POS compared to that, restored or not). It's also the first real newsstand Marvel superhero book, just ahead of Marvel 1.

Interesting. You're saying this because of the apparent MPFW connection, or did any of the characters make it into Marvel GA books...?

Well, technically this is not a comic, and it's not Golden Age. But it's one of the rarest comic-related books in my collection. Actually, I have two of them:

shock-illustrated-3.jpg

It's Shock Illustrated #3, from EC Comics, 1956. According to Overstreet, only 100 copies were ever released. The pages had been printed when William Gaines abruptly pulled the plug. The Picto-Fiction mags had been losing money and, as the story goes, Gaines couldn't afford to pay to have them bound. So he took 100 copies of Shock Illustrated #3 and had them hand-bound and "given out at the E.C. offices."

If the 100 figure is correct, I can't imagine more than half of those surviving. It's likely many of the people who obtained the magazine didn't realize how rare it was, or think to save it for its future value. So my guess is there are only a couple dozen copies out there, probably tied up in the collections of die-hard EC fans.

I'm happy with both my copies. The CGC Universal 6.0 has a detached centerfold -- I figure if it didn't, it would be closer to an 8.0. My ungraded copy would be a 9.0 or higher except for one problem: The entire Reed Crandall story has been either carefully sliced out, or was never bound into the magazine to begin with. I've looked as closely as possible, even using a magnifying glass, and I can't figure out why the whole story is missing.

One other curiosity: Overstreet only values this at $116 in GD, with increases of about $100 every two points. It seems strange to me that this would be considered so low in value, given its rarity.

Anyway, I love them. Love the art (by Rudy Nappi), love the GGA, love the publisher, love the rarity factor, and love the story behind it.

Indeed you were my first thought and you know I tried

You did - my fault completely. :sorry:

After due consideration, here's a solo pic of my pick from my prior picks...

100_2720-1.jpg

:takeit:

BTW Steve what grade ? Looks VF ?

VF/VF- with really nice paper too.

I have absolutely no plans or desire to part with the book (it's the Larson), but if I do another Boardie has longstanding dibs... :sorry:

The only other copy I am personally aware of is jbcomicbox's (Gerber copy?), though there must be a few more out there. (shrug)

I believe Win has a copy ,correct... I know another collector with a copy too.... I never had one though :cry:

I'd be very happy for him if he picked up a copy, but last I heard it was on his short list. (shrug)

Well, technically this is not a comic, and it's not Golden Age. But it's one of the rarest comic-related books in my collection. Actually, I have two of them:

shock-illustrated-3.jpg

It's Shock Illustrated #3, from EC Comics, 1956. According to Overstreet, only 100 copies were ever released. The pages had been printed when William Gaines abruptly pulled the plug. The Picto-Fiction mags had been losing money and, as the story goes, Gaines couldn't afford to pay to have them bound. So he took 100 copies of Shock Illustrated #3 and had them hand-bound and "given out at the E.C. offices."

If the 100 figure is correct, I can't imagine more than half of those surviving. It's likely many of the people who obtained the magazine didn't realize how rare it was, or think to save it for its future value. So my guess is there are only a couple dozen copies out there, probably tied up in the collections of die-hard EC fans.

I'm happy with both my copies. The CGC Universal 6.0 has a detached centerfold -- I figure if it didn't, it would be closer to an 8.0. My ungraded copy would be a 9.0 or higher except for one problem: The entire Reed Crandall story has been either carefully sliced out, or was never bound into the magazine to begin with. I've looked as closely as possible, even using a magnifying glass, and I can't figure out why the whole story is missing.

One other curiosity: Overstreet only values this at $116 in GD, with increases of about $100 every two points. It seems strange to me that this would be considered so low in value, given its rarity.

Anyway, I love them. Love the art (by Rudy Nappi), love the GGA, love the publisher, love the rarity factor, and love the story behind it.

Double your pleasure, double your fun. :applause: (thumbs u

You tell me. It's between these (all in at least VF/NM condition):

ACE

Atomic War 2

Atomic War 4

ATLAS

Combat Kelly 5

Jungle Action 6

Lorna the Jungle Girl 11

Outlaw Kid 15

ACG

Commander Battle & the Atomic Sub 6

ARCHIE

Adventures of the Fly 1

Adventures of the Fly 2

AVON

Strange Worlds 7

CAPITOL PUBLICATIONS

Space Western 44

CHARLTON

Space Adventures 14 (Blue Beetle cover.)

Space War 3

DC

All-Star Western 116 (These are absolute buggers to find in high grade.)

Brave & the Bold 23 (Viking Prince cover.)

JEST PUBLICATIONS

Krazy Komics 19

MAGAZINE ENTERPRISES

Jet 3

TIMELY

Terry-Toons 36

I suppose I could check my Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books for an estimate of rarity but I'm not sure whether the scarcity index given is all that reliable.

(shrug)

Those sound nice. Any chance you can post a scan or two? :wishluck:

I suppose I could check my Photo-Journal Guide to comic Books for an estimate of rarity but I'm not sure whether the scarcity index given is all that reliable.

For some board discussion on that topic:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=675242

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

:o The colors on that #23 are just amazing - green "Funnies" just pops out - looks like it was printed yesterday! (worship)

It is indeed a stunner in hand - my former copy (I downgraded to a VF+ :insane: )

Those sound nice. Any chance you can post a scan or two? :wishluck:

I may have to break down and buy a scanner for my home computer in the next few weeks. They're pretty cheap these days.

I'd tried scanning a few of my comics on the office colour photocopier last summer. I succeeded in forwarding the images to my office email and then copying them to My Pictures. At this point I was congratulating myself on my technical expertise. But when I then tried to upload the images to this site, I failed. I got some message saying the images were not properly configured as JPEGs or whatever which just exasperated me and caused me to give up the effort. Bloody machines.

rantrant

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

:o The colors on that #23 are just amazing - green "Funnies" just pops out - looks like it was printed yesterday! (worship)

That is indeed a beautiful copy. Great eye appeal!

:acclaim: