• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

I agree. I think the number 1 and the number 3 Atomic War are two of the nicest covers from the Atomic Age. Unfortunately, those are the two I do not have. Life's like that.

:(

That Atomic war #1 is a pretty cool cover.

I am 85% sure the brownish building right behind the chrysler building is the one I worked in for 10 years.

Makes me want to get it hm

Wow! Nice books! Love those Space Westerns!

:applause:

Now here's a scan of the next relative rarity from my collection. It's a Bill Gaines File copy:

Panic12.jpg

:whee:

:applause:

Anyone have an Ace 15 - first Phantom? This doesn't come up for sale all too often.

Ed

Think you meant to say an Ace 11 (shrug) ....Ace 26 is another tough one too.....

Yes, I believe you are correct with the Ace #11.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Church copy of Ace 11 sometime back in the 90's. If I remember correctly, not one of your classic later HG Church books, but definitely a book that rarely comes up for sale and most probably undervalued in the OS guide.

I just picked one of these up recently. Definitely a very tough book. Took me forever to find one.

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

Nicely centered! That issue is often miscut.

WW3fc.jpg

Anyone have an Ace 15 - first Phantom? This doesn't come up for sale all too often.

Ed

Think you meant to say an Ace 11 (shrug) ....Ace 26 is another tough one too.....

I was lucky enough to pick up the Church copy of Ace 11 sometime back in the 90's. If I remember correctly, not one of your classic later HG Church books, but definitely a book that rarely comes up for sale and most probably undervalued in the OS guide.

I just picked one of these up recently. Definitely a very tough book. Took me forever to find one.

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

It's a beauty :applause:

Ed

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

Yes, that's an absolutely gorgeous copy of a HTF book. Is this the highest graded copy so far or is there another one slabbed higher by CGC?

I read somewhere a long time ago that some collectors consider the Phantom to be the first costumed hero in comics. I guesss they must have forgotten about Doctor Occult who came out in 1935, although some collectors don't think his is a real costume since it's really nothing more than a cape. (shrug)

Ed

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

Yes, that's an absolutely gorgeous copy of a HTF book. Is this the highest graded copy so far or is there another one slabbed higher by CGC?

I read somewhere a long time ago that some collectors consider the Phantom to be the first costumed hero in comics. I guesss they must have forgotten about Doctor Occult who came out in 1935, although some collectors don't think his is a real costume since it's really nothing more than a cape. (shrug)

Thanks, I'm digging it! :cloud9:

Believe it or not, there are only 2 on the census, this 7.5 and a qualified 3.0.

I think the Phantom was the first super-hero in tights. (shrug)

Ed

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

Good show! What a book! (worship)

I was watching it go higher and higher on the HA Sunday night auction. :headbang:

Ed

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

I was watching it go higher and higher on the HA Sunday night auction. :headbang:

Wow, didn't even realize this book was available in the other week's Heritage Sunday auction.

I guess this sort of confirms my viewpoint that this book is undervalued as it went for almost 4X condition guide. :o

Makes me a little curious as to whether this copy could have gotten a even better price in a higher profile Signature auction as opposed to being placed in a lower profile Sunday night auction that has been populated lately with virtually nothing except ungraded drek. Especially considering that this was a Christmas long weekend where most of the eyeballs were probably not on the Heritage website. hm

I noticed the book is now available again on the Heritage site as a Make an Offer. Not sure if this means the buyer is having buyer's remorse or if he is trying to flip it for a quick profit? (shrug)

Ed

Ace Comics #11

AceComics11CGCVF-75.jpg

Wow, didn't even realize this book was available in the other week's Heritage Sunday auction.

I guess this sort of confirms my viewpoint that this book is undervalued as it went for almost 4X condition guide. :o

Makes me a little curious as to whether this copy could have gotten a even better price in a higher profile Signature auction as opposed to being placed in a lower profile Sunday night auction that has been populated lately with virtually nothing except ungraded drek. Especially considering that this was a Christmas long weekend where most of the eyeballs were probably not on the Heritage website. hm

I noticed the book is now available again on the Heritage site as a Make an Offer. Not sure if this means the buyer is having buyer's remorse or if he is trying to flip it for a quick profit? (shrug)

Yes, I thought it was a little under the radar too and was happy with the price I got it for. It's definitely a book where the guide is just plain wrong.

I'm not looking to sell it. The "Make an Offer" is not my doing, it's Heritage. Some kind of default setting maybe? I don't know if I can turn that off or not.

Edit: I figured it out. Heritage defaults you to "Taking Offers" and you have to opt out. I had like 30 comics out there that I was "Taking Offers" on and didn't know it!