• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

Anyway, I love them. Love the art (by Rudy Nappi), love the GGA, love the publisher, love the rarity factor, and love the story behind it.

now, you know if you mention how good the art is that you have to show interior shots!

I can do that, though I hate to handle the high-grade copy at all, lest I accidentally round a corner or something. Best way to see the interiors is via the Russ Cochran volumes, which I also have. They're great because they have all the unpublished material for the other Picto-Ficton magazines, including an awesome Frank Frazetta illustrated rendition of a crime/horror story from (I think) Shock Illustrated.

Its long lost Church sister -- which evidently needs the adamstrange scanner magic.

Buttock, in the Centaur house :acclaim: your status has just bumped up a notch, (thumbs u

dan sold me some very tough centaurs in years past

Its long lost Church sister -- which evidently needs the adamstrange scanner magic.

Buttock, in the Centaur house :acclaim: your status has just bumped up a notch, (thumbs u

dan sold me some very tough centaurs in years past

and ain't seen any others since :cry:

Those sound nice. Any chance you can post a scan or two? :wishluck:

I may have to break down and buy a scanner for my home computer in the next few weeks. They're pretty cheap these days.

I'd tried scanning a few of my comics on the office colour photocopier last summer. I succeeded in forwarding the images to my office email and then copying them to My Pictures. At this point I was congratulating myself on my technical expertise. But when I then tried to upload the images to this site, I failed. I got some message saying the images were not properly configured as JPEGs or whatever which just exasperated me and caused me to give up the effort. Bloody machines.

rantrant

Most of us get a free account with an image hosting site (Photobucket.com is pretty popular). Photobucket will allow larger files (must no more than 1024 by 1024) but is nice enough to resize anything that exceeds it's limits. It also has some editing capabilities and will generate the IMG statement necessary to post the scan on the boards. If you run into trouble, just PM me and happy to provide some assistance.

ACE

Atomic War 2 S6

Atomic War 4 S5

ATLAS

Combat Kelly 5 S4

Jungle Action 6 S5

Lorna the Jungle Girl 11 S5

Outlaw Kid 15 S4

ACG

Commander Battle & the Atomic Sub 6 S4

ARCHIE

Adventures of the Fly 1 S5

Adventures of the Fly 2 S4

AVON

Strange Worlds 7 S5

CAPITOL PUBLICATIONS

Space Western 44 S6

CHARLTON

Space Adventures 14 S6

Space War 3 S4

DC

All-Star Western 116 S5

Brave & the Bold 23 S3

JEST PUBLICATIONS

Krazy Komics 19 S5

MAGAZINE ENTERPRISES

Jet 3 S5

TIMELY

Terry-Toons 36 S4

So after checking the scarcity indices in the "Gerber Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books", the rarest comic book in my collection would appear to be a tie between Atomic War 2, Space Western 44 and Space Adventures 14.

:acclaim:

Most of us get a free account with an image hosting site (Photobucket.com is pretty popular). Photobucket will allow larger files (must no more than 1024 by 1024) but is nice enough to resize anything that exceeds it's limits. It also has some editing capabilities and will generate the IMG statement necessary to post the scan on the boards. If you run into trouble, just PM me and happy to provide some assistance.

Yes, I was going to open up an account at Photobucket anyway to host the pictures I've been taking with my digital camera! That will kill two birds with one stone then once I get a scanner.

(thumbs u

107273.jpg

Here's its little brother.

AMF21new.jpg

107273.jpg

AMF21new.jpg

amf 21-24 were/are very difficult to locate...most of the time, unless you luck or hard work into a pedigree, you don't have many opportunities to get

We should get them together for a playdate!

lol

I was thinking you should stop splitting the family apart. :baiting:

ACE

Atomic War 2 S6

Atomic War 4 S5

ATLAS

Combat Kelly 5 S4

Jungle Action 6 S5

Lorna the Jungle Girl 11 S5

Outlaw Kid 15 S4

ACG

Commander Battle & the Atomic Sub 6 S4

ARCHIE

Adventures of the Fly 1 S5

Adventures of the Fly 2 S4

AVON

Strange Worlds 7 S5

CAPITOL PUBLICATIONS

Space Western 44 S6

CHARLTON

Space Adventures 14 S6

Space War 3 S4

DC

All-Star Western 116 S5

Brave & the Bold 23 S3

JEST PUBLICATIONS

Krazy Komics 19 S5

MAGAZINE ENTERPRISES

Jet 3 S5

TIMELY

Terry-Toons 36 S4

So after checking the scarcity indices in the "Gerber Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books", the rarest comic book in my collection would appear to be a tie between Atomic War 2, Space Western 44 and Space Adventures 14.

Out of curiousity's sake, I checked the Gerber Scarcity Index numbers for a few of my other books that I hadn't bothered to check yesterday because I doubted they'd be among the very rarest:

DC

Batman 116 S4

Flash 105 S5

Flash 106 S5

Superman 129 S4

EC

Panic 12 S5

Tales from the Crypt 32 S4

Tales from the Crypt 36 S4

FICTION HOUSE

Fight 74 S4

Fight 81 S4

Jet Aces 3 S4

Jumbo 149 S4

Jumbo 153 S5

Jumbo 155 S5

Jungle 144 S4

Planet 72 S5

FOX

Rulah Jungle Goddess 18 S5

Zago Jungle Prince 2 S4

So I was right. No sixes, but I'm surprised that Flash 105 comes in with a Scarcity Index as high as 5. I see it much more often than comics such as Flash 106, Batman 116, Jet Aces 3 or Panic 12.

:o

BTW, I just found out that my home printer can act as a scanner as well - so I should be able to post some covers sooner rather than later.

;)

107273.jpg

AMF21new.jpg

amf 21-24 were/are very difficult to locate...most of the time, unless you luck or hard work into a pedigree, you don't have many opportunities to get

Nice copies! Those last few AMFs are so tough - I'm still lookiing for a 21!

A lot of people here are discussing the Gerber Photo Journals. I've always heard them referenced, but never seen a copy. I looked them up on Amazon and they sell for a pretty penny -- $50 to $75 for each of the two volumes. Eventually I'll go for it, but I'm wondering if these books are easy to obtain for a better price. I can't believe I've gone this long without them.

A lot of people here are discussing the Gerber Photo Journals. I've always heard them referenced, but never seen a copy. I looked them up on Amazon and they sell for a pretty penny -- $50 to $75 for each of the two volumes. Eventually I'll go for it, but I'm wondering if these books are easy to obtain for a better price. I can't believe I've gone this long without them.

i haven't checked for a while but I think Bud Plant used to have them cheaper than that. It seems some dealer or another would have enough sets that they would sell them for $75 or less for the set - but maybe those days are gone - check ebay.

Several sets have sold on the boards in the past year at the 50 - 75 price tag for both. You might try putting up a Want to Buy notice or just keep watching the Sales Forum.

i haven't checked for a while but I think Bud Plant used to have them cheaper than that. It seems some dealer or another would have enough sets that they would sell them for $75 or less for the set - but maybe those days are gone - check ebay.

Quick story..... I was proud to make it to the upper paragraphs of the Gerber Photo Journal "thank yous". Why did I get there? Centaurs....always have, always will be tough.

ernie lost a pant load on this book doing individual color separations for each cover (he saved money by doing color separations for each page for the Marvel Photo Journal)

heat sealing for mylar.....the revolutionary Photo Journals....the Hobby will always owe him a big tip of the cap......jon

Several sets have sold on the boards in the past year at the 50 - 75 price tag for both. You might try putting up a Want to Buy notice or just keep watching the Sales Forum.

I saw a sealed set at my LCS for $49, had to a do a double take.