• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

Not sure about the non slabbed rarity of this issue but took me a long time to find a presentable copy and only 2 on the census. Probably from lack of desire, but still fits in with my soti books.

RedSeal163ebay.jpg

there is something subliminal going on here

Yeah - this cover creeps me out on so many levels.

That cover is so wrong. The more you look the worse it gets.

Was this comic the inspiration for the movie "Deliverance" ?

Looks like Lem is in Hog Heaven

Not sure about the non slabbed rarity of this issue but took me a long time to find a presentable copy and only 2 on the census. Probably from lack of desire, but still fits in with my soti books.

RedSeal163ebay.jpg

Yeah - this cover creeps me out on so many levels.

That cover is so wrong. The more you look the worse it gets.

I bet that a few of the boardies from the southern states might disagree with you. lol

I don't know about truly rare, but here is what I have.

These first two are John Carter covers. Both are the only graded copies, but I know there are a few more out there:

Funnies37.jpg

Funnies40.jpg

This is a neat 1937 comic, with only one copy graded:

VicksComics.jpg

Two very hard to find Tarzan giveaways:

Tarzangiveaways.jpg

RedSeal163ebay.jpg

The horizontal beam of the crate and the shading on the pig's lower right hoof make for a very happy looking Lem. :eek:

Scary.

These first two are John Carter covers. Both are the only graded copies, but I know there are a few more out there:

Funnies37.jpg

Funnies40.jpg

VicksComics.jpg

Tarzangiveaways.jpg

That Funnies 37 is awesome!

Funnies37.jpg

Funnies40.jpg

VicksComics.jpg

Tarzangiveaways.jpg

That Funnies 37 is awesome!

I agree. Seeing that cover reminds me of reading the marvel issues.

Here's mine, though nobody ever thought it was rare until it was brought to our attention be a certain DC completionist:

FatandSlat.jpg

Hey! This is a crazy coincidence -- I got this comic in the mail about 20 minutes before reading your message. (Got it sooooo cheap on eBay.) The spine and staples are tight, and the paper is off-white/cream. I'm a happy boy. How rare is this? The vaudevillean stories are fun.

This is from the Max Gaines era before he switched from DC to EC. It was released in 1944 as a one-shot, then EC brought back Fat and Slat for four issues from 1947-1948. I always wanted a copy for my collection of pre-William Gaines EC stuff.

fat-and-slat.jpg

Fairly tough, though a few have shown up recently...

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

1 of my top 2 fave comics of all time. Love the thick 124 pages of clear b/w Timely story art inside! :cloud9:

I'm *not* trying to be snarky here, and appreciate the fact that Timely guys go nuts for it (as I do for some oddball Centaurs), but the book just doesn't do it for me (especially in its elevated price range).

It's acknowledged as being rare, but isn't this book - in effect - a Canadian reprint?

(great looking copy btw, Richard)

Steve;

I believe the Cap Annual is a Canadian reprint edition while this Marvel Mystery Annual is actually printed in the USA.

Either way, I do certainly agree with your point of view since all other reprint books and in particular, Canadian reprints sell for a discount or even fractions of their original books. Yet these 2 annuals go for substantial mutiples to their original books. (shrug)

I just saw the thread title about rarity. I posted this rare thing.

Now I'm just embarrassed that I own this POS.

sell to me then..before gator buys it. as he buys everything i want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one's pretty tough to find (or maybe just obscure): rare in OSPG and "8" in Gerber. So, what's Black & White & Red?

SunFun.jpg

Whoa... (worship)

That is indeed a rare book, IMHO - how's the interior page quality?

Another book I've never seen in person is Green Giant Comics.

I've come across a few Colossus Comics over the years, but they've always been brown or brittle so I've never owned one.

A bit late, but I've finally pulled the book and taken a few photos. Had forgotten what the interior looked like! It indeed has black, white and red ink. The interior is a weird mix of comics (many full page) and spoof ads.

I suspect the book was oriented more for adults, than kids, due to the slightly more mature nature of the spoofs (free beer). There's even some very early Nazi references and a page with Hilter and pals! It's a rather thin book for 15 cents - maybe 24 to 32 pgs. I'd say more closely related to later Mad Comics, than anything else.

Steve, the pages are cream to off-white - mostly off-white. Actually really nice pgs, but I tend to be hard on the grading and pages.

106915.jpg.a03d115ad604b9d210869976ef1fd71b.jpg

106916.jpg.c8d146f19b4c13fab420822b2a2ca82e.jpg

106917.jpg.34a52f0b7ba58ff41cf972aad16e1fe6.jpg

This one's pretty tough to find (or maybe just obscure): rare in OSPG and "8" in Gerber. So, what's Black & White & Red?

SunFun.jpg

Whoa... (worship)

That is indeed a rare book, IMHO - how's the interior page quality?

Another book I've never seen in person is Green Giant Comics.

I've come across a few Colossus Comics over the years, but they've always been brown or brittle so I've never owned one.

A bit late, but I've finally pulled the book and taken a few photos. Had forgotten what the interior looked like! It indeed has black, white and red ink. The interior is a weird mix of comics (many full page) and spoof ads.

I suspect the book was oriented more for adults, than kids, due to the slightly more mature nature of the spoofs (free beer). There's even some very early Nazi references and a page with Hilter and pals! It's a rather thin book for 15 cents - maybe 24 to 32 pgs. I'd say more closely related to later Mad Comics, than anything else.

Steve, the pages are cream to off-white - mostly off-white. Actually really nice pgs, but I tend to be hard on the grading and pages.

:applause:(worship)

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

1 of my top 2 fave comics of all time. Love the thick 124 pages of clear b/w Timely story art inside! :cloud9:

I'm *not* trying to be snarky here, and appreciate the fact that Timely guys go nuts for it (as I do for some oddball Centaurs), but the book just doesn't do it for me (especially in its elevated price range).

It's acknowledged as being rare, but isn't this book - in effect - a Canadian reprint?

Steve;

I believe the Cap Annual is a Canadian reprint edition while this Marvel Mystery Annual is actually printed in the USA.

Either way, I do certainly agree with your point of view since all other reprint books and in particular, Canadian reprints sell for a discount or even fractions of their original books. Yet these 2 annuals go for substantial mutiples to their original books. (shrug)

sell to me then..before gator buys it. as he buys everything i want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This cover doesn't do it for you ??!! :o

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

Steve;

:o

EC annuals and Giant Comics Editions sell for substantial multiples too. Not to mention that strictly speaking most Marvel 1s, Batman 1s, and Superman 1s are reprints.

For that matter Supes 1 is a reprint book itself. So for the later printings there you have a 2nd or 3rd print of a reprint book (reprint of a reprint!), yet still plently valuable!

Bottom line when it comes to golden age I don't think it takes much for it to be consider a "new" book rather than a reprint or variant.

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

Steve;

This cover doesn't do it for you ??!! :o

It's a great cover - reprint of Marvel Mystery 33.

What I said is that the book doesn't do it for me at its price level.

As I also said, I fully appreciate that the Timely guys go ga-ga over it, just as I would for a rare oddball Centaur that they probably wouldn't give a hoot for.

Richard's copy is indeed beautiful. :foryou: