• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Bad News, ComicDonna (Mike) just lost his house in a Fire

382 posts in this topic

Everyone should check their smoke detectors. All of ours were downstairs only. At 1:00 AM, my daughter came screaming in our bedroom that the house was on fire. I ran into her bedroom, whick was located upstairs near ours to find the curtain on fire. I put that out and noticed the whole wall turn red and was glowing. By 1:05 AM the wife, daughter and dog was out of the house. I spent 5 minutes making 2 trips back in. I grabbed 2 CGC boxes each trip. The second trip was risky. The power had gone out and it was smokey. My wife sent the sheriff after me when I went in the second time. He couldn't catch me though. I did throw up for about 15 minutes afterwards but, was fine except for sore lungs for a few hours. If my daughter hadn't woke up, I am certain none of us would still be here. I am proud of her for her maturity. I didn't tell the parametics I was sick when they asked if we were. They were both girls and I wondered why one of them looked at me strangely. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot to zip my pants when the fire broke out. No time to put underwear on either. :eek: I walked by about 100 firemen too. You would have thought someone would have let me know.

Wow. Very lucky on that 2nd trip in, you could been overcome by that smoke.

Hi everyone:

I don't know what to say other than thank you for all of your kindness, generosity and support. You have all made a bad situation much more tolerable.

Mike

You'll hear it a million more times; Glad to hear you and your family (dog included) are okay. I hope your transition back into a new home and taking care of the business end of this goes silky smooth for you and yours. :foryou:

EDIT: About five or six years ago, the flue in my fire place went up. I neglected getting the chimney cleaned one year after a lot of use. Apparently, a lot of creosote had built up. I had worked an extended shift at work, about 18 hours. Came hom eand crashed hard in the afternoon. Not fifteen minutes into my sleep, my wife came screaming the house was on fire. I got her and the dogs out with a few personal items.

Someone walking in the neighborhood noticed six foot flames coming out of the chimney - they were kind enough to come and knock on the door. I remember flame and smoke pouring into my living room, as the damper cable had become so hot it snapped and the damper closed - forcing all smoke and fire to vent out the main fireplace.

I remember sitting there on the phone talking to the 9-1-1 dispatcher thinking that the home my wife and I had not been in long was going to burn to the ground. We lucked out and only had to clean up a lot of soot, ash and the like and it took about a week for the smoke smell to finally leave.

I cannot imagine what you must be going through, Mike. Again, I am thankful you and your family made it out.

They were both girls and I wondered why one of them looked at me strangely. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot to zip my pants when the fire broke out. No time to put underwear on either. :eek: I walked by about 100 firemen too. You would have thought someone would have let me know.

Maybe they thought you were just having a weinie roast. :baiting:

Everyone should check their smoke detectors. All of ours were downstairs only. At 1:00 AM, my daughter came screaming in our bedroom that the house was on fire. I ran into her bedroom, whick was located upstairs near ours to find the curtain on fire. I put that out and noticed the whole wall turn red and was glowing. By 1:05 AM the wife, daughter and dog was out of the house. I spent 5 minutes making 2 trips back in. I grabbed 2 CGC boxes each trip. The second trip was risky. The power had gone out and it was smokey. My wife sent the sheriff after me when I went in the second time. He couldn't catch me though. I did throw up for about 15 minutes afterwards but, was fine except for sore lungs for a few hours. If my daughter hadn't woke up, I am certain none of us would still be here. I am proud of her for her maturity. I didn't tell the parametics I was sick when they asked if we were. They were both girls and I wondered why one of them looked at me strangely. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot to zip my pants when the fire broke out. No time to put underwear on either. :eek: I walked by about 100 firemen too. You would have thought someone would have let me know.

Wow.....thats scary !!

Glad to hear you and the family are OK. So, the moral of this story is: check your smoke detectors and your zipper...notes taken.

I just got off the phone with Mike and his wife, I can't imagine how shocked they must be, because I couldn't even figure out what to say here.

They are ALL OK, even the dog, thank G-d...his daughter woke them at 1am today, her room was on fire. By 1:20, the house was gone. The fire probably started in the brick chimney.

There was a very bad blizzard in NY last night and that hampered everything.

He wanted to let you all know that they are OK, no one was hurt. Everything in the house was destroyed.

I have a phone number if anyone wants it, just PM me. They don't have a computer right now, but should soon.

Wow, unbelievable :( Glad to hear everyone is ok :applause:

Well if this doesn't prove your passion as an Action collector, (and a man of Action) I can't think of of any greater example.

Zipper..man you were lucky..I wasn't even wearing pants..or underwear..lol

Still like me you are still finding a few things to laugh at so you'll be Okay..

I am so glad your family and pets all made it out..really really glad

BUT seriously..you should go to get your blood work done (they can check your oxygen levels in your blood etc) at the hospital it sucks but I didn't go with the first ambulance they had to call another one for me hours later when the smoke inhalation hit..just go to get checked out..you have insurance so better safe than sorry..

The chemicals from burning household items and the soot and ash are all toxic I hope you at least get checked out somewhere..

Very glad that you made it out OK, Mike. :applause:

BTW, I thought Steve was supposed to be Mr Zipper. (shrug)

Hi everyone:

I don't know what to say other than thank you for all of your kindness, generosity and support. You have all made a bad situation much more tolerable.

Mike

Hang in there, Mike. Count your blessings & be happy that no one was hurt. :foryou::hi:

Glad to hear that nothing was...um...singed. :)

Mike I don't know you but enjoy reading your post from time to time. I am glad to see you posting again so soon and am very happy you and the family are safe. House fires have always been a severe fear of mine since I was a small child. Don't know what triggered it when I was young but have always feared of loosing my personal things, like photo's and comics. Hang in there the people here are great, this really is a good community!!

Hi everyone:

Mike

We're just glad you and your family are safe. Everything else can be replaced. (thumbs u

Amen!