• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

Polar.... I can't remember exactly when I filed the claim (maybe 10 days ago?), but consider... I won this auction on Aug 1st. Today is Aug 31. I still don't have my money, but ebay tells me that when he signs for the package I sent him, they will release my funds. I shipped the comic back yesterday, he should get it today because we both live in Atlanta.

Ebay made me very nervous last week. I thought this case was SO obvious that they would find in my favor instantly. I called them every other day to ask about the progress. I'm a powerseller with a 2900 100% feedback rating so I figured they might take stock in everything I've been telling them about the deception. 2 days ago when I called ebay it had been a full week since I had escalated the case and they still hadn't ruled on it. While I was on the phone with the ebay guy he said, "listen I'll put it on the fast track, you'll have your answer today". He basically told me that I had nothing to worry about and would get instructions later in the day (which happened).

Good luck Polar, I'm sure everything will work out for you. When you talk to them next, remind ebay about all the cases of fraud that have been opened on this guy in the last couple of weeks.

I've had 2 other people tell me that they were contacted by him with "2nd chance offers". So consider yourself lucky if you weren't.

quote "As far as I can tell at least 5 people were scammed by this guy. 1 person actually left the guy positive feedback because he thought it was all real. That's a person you should really feel bad about because at this point I don't think there's anything he can do."

quote "Why would you think that? Most CC companies allow two months to file a claim, and Paypal allows 45 days. If there's some way to contact him/her, you can give them a head's up."

I was under the impression that once you give "positive feedback" on a purchase that you can't really take any negative action.

I've had 2 other people tell me that they were contacted by him with "2nd chance offers". So consider yourself lucky if you weren't.

I don't consider myself lucky that I didn't, becuase I ignore second chance offers...I do think it's interesting that I, as the 3rd high bidder, wasn't approached with the offer, especially considering the strength of my bid.

quote "As far as I can tell at least 5 people were scammed by this guy. 1 person actually left the guy positive feedback because he thought it was all real. That's a person you should really feel bad about because at this point I don't think there's anything he can do."

quote "Why would you think that? Most CC companies allow two months to file a claim, and Paypal allows 45 days. If there's some way to contact him/her, you can give them a head's up."

I was under the impression that once you give "positive feedback" on a purchase that you can't really take any negative action.

Absolutely not true at all. Positive feedback is not a surrendering of rights, especially if fraud is discovered after the fact.

I've never used photo bucket before but am going to attempt to post the photos of my Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 scam comic.

From the front the comic slab actually looks really good. You can't see any cracks until you look at it on the edge.

Notice he put a little round sticker right over the serial number. Even when I peeled back the sticker he had put something on the plastic right above the serial number to try to mask the number.

The CGC blue label is real, it's to an 8.5 Hulk 181. He put a 9.8 sticker over the 8.5. The sticker is very thin and is aligned perfectly. You can't tell it's a sticker when you look at my photos, but with a magnifying glass you can see the edge of the sticker.

Look at the top thin strip CGC sticker. See the splice? He spliced in the part that says 9.8

btn_geturs.gifbtn_viewall.gif

With as good as the rest of the job seems to be I am a little surprised he would settle for such a job on the top strip sticker. I have several slabs where that has curled up and fallen off, and the easiest thing would be to just remove it. I don't think anyone would really care if that sticker is gone, and it would make the deception tougher to spot.

With as good as the rest of the job seems to be I am a little surprised he would settle for such a job on the top strip sticker. I have several slabs where that has curled up and fallen off, and the easiest thing would be to just remove it. I don't think anyone would really care if that sticker is gone, and it would make the deception tougher to spot.

Yes, I totally agree. He should have just left the top strip off.

BTW, having those top strips come off is something that bugs me about cgc. You pay a premium price for their service and the top strip pops off after a year. I'd like to see them seal the outside edge so that there isn't even a seam. in the plastic.

BTW, having those top strips come off is something that bugs me about cgc. You pay a premium price for their service and the top strip pops off after a year. I'd like to see them seal the outside edge so that there isn't even a seam. in the plastic.

I'm more irritated when they put the wrong strip on, as sometimes happens. I just subbed 3 coupon books and when they came back my ASM #13 has my ASM #129 strip on top and vice versa. My OCD doesn't know whether to put the book in the wrong spot in the box so the top stripes look ok, or put the book in the right spot in the box but them the top stripes are all out of whack. I opted for the latter, but it has kept me up some nights...

I'm more irritated when they put the wrong strip on, as sometimes happens. I just subbed 3 coupon books and when they came back my ASM #13 has my ASM #129 strip on top and vice versa. My OCD doesn't know whether to put the book in the wrong spot in the box so the top stripes look ok, or put the book in the right spot in the box but them the top stripes are all out of whack. I opted for the latter, but it has kept me up some nights...

That is annoying as hell and drives my ocd crazy also :screwy:

Whats even more annoying is when the label and cert # is wrong. I have the 1971 Marvel feature 1 but the label says 1975 Marvel Feature 1 so i cant register it in the right spot. Instead of getting 900 points, it only counts for 60 points :censored:

I've never used photo bucket before but am going to attempt to post the photos of my Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 scam comic.

From the front the comic slab actually looks really good. You can't see any cracks until you look at it on the edge.

Notice he put a little round sticker right over the serial number. Even when I peeled back the sticker he had put something on the plastic right above the serial number to try to mask the number.

The CGC blue label is real, it's to an 8.5 Hulk 181. He put a 9.8 sticker over the 8.5. The sticker is very thin and is aligned perfectly. You can't tell it's a sticker when you look at my photos, but with a magnifying glass you can see the edge of the sticker.

Look at the top thin strip CGC sticker. See the splice? He spliced in the part that says 9.8

Very nice slide show presentation, especially for not using Photobucket before.

The splice in the top sticker is really obvious, and should be instantly noticeable by all. The scammer would have been better leaving the sticker off entirely, especially since the top stickers come off all the time.

Does the grade "sticker" have the CGC watermark? I'm guessing no?

Something similar to this happened to me and about 15 others back in 2002. I had won a CGC 9.4 X-men 94 with white pages for like $1050. I paid via Paypal but with my credit card like I always do on any purchase over $50.

The seller had cracked the slab enough to put in a fake label (that was done on a color laser printer) but because of the lack of items on Ebay at the time, used a different serial number for a completely different book.

When I got the book, it didn't look like a 9.4, more like a 6.0 or 7.0 so I called CGC and they said the SN was for an ASM 50 or something like that.

I called my credit card company and did a charge back. They sent me the form and I shipped the book with signature confirmation back to the seller. He actually did sign for the book. Funny part is, the credit card company gave me my money back and then a year later I also got a restitution check from the scammer. I guess the police in upstate NY hammered him. I had to speak with their detectives.

The person you said that left positive feedback, did you send them a message in eBay letting them know to check for the fake sticker, unless I missed it in this thread somewhere.

If not tell me their ID and I will contact them.

The person you said that left positive feedback, did you send them a message in eBay letting them know to check for the fake sticker, unless I missed it in this thread somewhere.

Can you even contact people you haven't done a transaction with on eBay anymore? Now that everyone has their ID obscured I didn't think you could contact people anymore...

Can you even contact people you haven't done a transaction with on eBay anymore? Now that everyone has their ID obscured I didn't think you could contact people anymore...

In the sellers feedback it shows the eBay ID in full as long as feedback is given.

If private then no ID is disclosed.