• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the Forum think about a Lawyer turning a collector away...

381 posts in this topic

It's pretty simple:

When someone calls you a nut, don't flip out, start multiple threads, make lists of names of other users who seem to either be for you or against you, or behave EXACTLY in that fashion. (shrug)

(Not that I condone the initial comment...) :foryou:

^^

from a Dealer that collects PLODS???

We have FFB on the Grading and Restoration Thread TELLING a newbie-type collector NOT to sell to a certain Boardie that collects PLODS.

Let's see the collective conscious of this Forum now...

CAL who can't wait to see the responses...

Would you feel better if he were a shoe salesman?

How about a NASA scientist?

A ditch digger?

I remember in grade school, the teachers would always warn

us that if we didn't study hard and get good grades we would

end up as ditch diggers. I had this picture in my head that

as an adult, I would be digging a ditch and be so ashamed of

myself. That was a long time ago, but I still feel a little self-conscious

whenever I tackle a landscaping project.

Flee, working on his issues.

Hey, I'm a professional ditch-digger. :D

Those statements appear to be factual in nature, as opposed to being based in opinion, he says, tongue planted firmly in cheek.

They may be factual, but none of them relate to the ability of any of the persons in the examples to pay for or complete a transaction. The statements are an expression of judgement based on the observation of repeated behavior.

Replace "Cal" with "Thirdgreenham" as an example, and 80% of these posts change.

Exactly right.

Well, of course. Thirdgreenham didn't start a 32 page thread where the majority of the posts are branding him a lunatic.

That doesn't change the fact that, speaking for myself only, I would have reacted differently to someone saying those things about Andy than I did when the object was Cal. And I am not particularly proud of that. It doesn't really bother me either, but still.

Okay, let's pretend FFB posted the following:

In any event, you should be able to sell the book quickly.

But not to joeypost. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. He presses books.

But not to Metro. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. They over grade books.

But not to World Wide Comics. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. They shill their eBay auctions.

Would any of these statements be acceptable?

I dont know if they are "acceptable", but i'm pretty sure ive seen all of those things said pretty much hm

It's pretty simple:

When someone calls you a nut, don't flip out, start multiple threads, make lists of names of other users who seem to either be for you or against you, or behave EXACTLY in that fashion. (shrug)

(Not that I condone the initial comment...) :foryou:

So, basically, if someone says that you're a nut, don't reinforce the validity of this statement by acting like a nut? Solid advice :applause:

Cal has always bought from new people, it's his way of making contact, he did that with I think pretty much everyone on the eBay chatboard, and he even bought stuff he did not collect. Never once, did I hear a word about his not paying promptly, OR complaining about a book he received from a board member.

However, Jack....I know you can write in the first person, so perhaps if you did that more often, it would help with people's perceptions and you wouldn't need to start so many threads..

Thanks for the positive note, Sky!

I just looked at that rudimentary Excel spreadsheet, and it was just from the Sellers only Thread. I know I have bought from you, but I guess not from this Thread. That will change sometime, soon I hope. When my computer crashed, I lost that spreadsheet with the eBayers and I know you were on there, and more than once.

But I may have painted myself in a corner; when I try to make sense, there are many that complain. When I conjure up time-waster Threads, there are many that complain. maybe I do have two ID's or I was going to do a crazy one with THREE CAL'S arguing with each other...

I gotta go to school now, but I will be back later.

I did not really know how to deal with this quickly and did the usual "outting" thing; at least I can feel better about myself for at least standing up for myself.

Hope things are alright with you in NY.

CAL the older student...

Cal, I saw the post when it went up and immediately thought it was inappropriate.

The majority of comic enthusiasts that I have known over the years are eccentric in some way or another (myself included). I've always found it odd when some collectors want to appear "cool" and look down on others for being really excited about one thing or another. In a healthy society, diversity is a necessity. Diversity requires tolerance. And tolerance is unfortunately in short supply these days.

I'm sorry for many of the ugly posts that I've seen people direct toward you. They sound very insecure and come off as juvenile and inappropriate.

Keep on being who you are and rocking out the love for comics. :headbang:

Absolutely, I feel that Cal is owed an apology. The "dont care" PM from FFB is a button pushing move as well. In my younger days, I could see doing what Cal is tempted to do. Pursue via legal channels to secure an insincere apology from employers/file paperwork etc to bug other person.

Would be healthier for this to roll off Cals back. This was a cheap shot, uncalled for, from the seeming security of cyberspace from someone who should know better. Big enough sand box to just put each other on ignore and trust thats that.

We have FFB on the Grading and Restoration Thread TELLING a newbie-type collector NOT to sell to a certain Boardie that collects PLODS.

Pretty sound advice in that thread. If you are as ignorant and as big an in real life as you are on these boards why would anyone want to deal with you?

Me being a newbie in your eyes you pretty much slammed me out of nowhere in a thread and went psycho hence I would never do a deal with you even if it was you trying to give me free stuff. You present yourself as a crazy and people don't care to deal with you. Sure some people may look past it but a majority of people will not.

mikenyc - seeking opportunities to get indignant since 10/21/10.

lol my first lol that I actually lol 'd in real life at the same time today.

If I were a noob I would appreciate a heads-up. There are some personalities who are constantly poised to be forever offended. Best not to volunteer to become a future offending party, if it can be avoided.

(you asked what people thought.)

FFB voiced an opinion. That's what messageboards are for. (thumbs u

Holy carpool Batman. I agree with Dav 100% on something!

If you are selling comics you should sell to Bedrock City. Everyone else is nuts.

If you are buying comics you should buy from Bedrock City. Everyone else is nuts.

Our new company advertising tagline. Thanks Scott and Cal (thumbs u

If you are selling comics you should sell to Bedrock City. Everyone else is nuts.

If you are buying comics you should buy from Bedrock City. Everyone else is nuts.

Any different Actions this year at NYCC? :wishluck:

Are you nuts?

Are you nuts?

:insane:

I've been called some nasty things on the boards before. None of it ever bothers me. But honestly, somebody telling other people not to deal with me for no reason other than maybe they don't like me would bother me.

If you have a good track record, aren't on the probation list and have no history of falling through time and again, I don't think anybody should be telling other people not to deal with you.

I don't find it funny in the slightest. Many people have already pointed out that Cal, whom I don't know from anybody, has a clean track record of buying and selling and that there should be no issues dealing with him. Many people have also pointed out that what FFB said was uncalled for. So until there's an apology from numb nuts, I have no problem with Cal venting his frustration b/c of unwarranted comments. I think people are spending too much time telling Cal to get over it (when he's in the right) and not enough time telling FFB he needs to apologize. FFB is the one at fault here.

I for one understand Cal's annoyance by this and personally, I think FFB, whom I also do not know, is a dooshnozzle and instead of taking pot shots at somebody from out in the cheap seats, ought to get over whatever it is that's got his panties in a bunch and quit acting like a jilted ex-girlfriend.